Author Topic: Mushroom Ketchup - a taste revelation!!  (Read 17901 times)

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
Re: Mushroom Ketchup - a taste revelation!!
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 10:54:51 am »
Sorry Cookie, you caught me out AGAIN - speed 2 in step 5, now amended. And sorry you're not sure about the ketchup - let it mature for a couple of weeks and try again. Remember it's to be used in moderation or it can just totally dominate other flavours.
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 12:08:15 pm »
No worries. I gave a jar to the mushroom gifted today. He loves it. I think you are definitely right about using it in moderation. I have a couple of plans for it so it will get used. It will be lovely to add a mushroom flavour to lots of things.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 12:30:48 pm »
How would a very thin layer in the bottom of a quiche or tart go - before adding the rest of the ingredients?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 09:04:34 pm »
Have just caught up with this thread.  OMG Cookie , that is a lot of Mushrooms.  Think I would dry some.  Love the look of this recipe but don't know how I would use it.  Any suggestions?

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 02:24:07 am »
My first thought when looking at this sauce would be as an 'additive' to a stew or casserole, much as you might add Worcestershire or soy sauce.  Judy's idea of use in a quiche would also add a nice flavour ...what about a couple of wee dabs spread lightly on a pizza (depending on the strength of the mushroom taste)?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 02:35:06 am »
It's obviously very strong Chookie and only small quantities are needed in recipes.  Here's what I found

Use as a condiment with fish, chicken, meats or pasta.

Someone said 'I tend to use mushroom ketchup as an ingredient in meals. It has a similar texture to soy sauce.'

Delia Smith's cottage pie

Information from a commercially made Mushroom Ketchup site - this is probably the most useful
Pies & Puddings:
Add two tablespoons per 500g of meat to the fillings of steak and kidney pies and puddings to give them a spicy mushroom flavour and a rich colour.

Roast Meats & Poultry:
Mushroom Ketchup can be used as a marinate for all meats and poultry and also for basting during roasting. Use the resulting pan juices to make a rich dark gravy with the appetising smell and taste of mushrooms.

Sauces & Soups:
Enriches all brown sauces and soups and makes an excellent flavouring for cream of mushroom soup and mushroom sauce.
Straight from the bottle:
Mushroom Ketchup is delicious on grilled chops, kidneys, liver or steaks.

Nice with scrambled eggs apparently.

They say that it's good with melted butter on green vegetables, in soups, in steak or kidney pie, and good for adding to pan juices after cooking meat or fowl.

Minced Beef & Sweet Potato Stew
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 03:47:11 am »
Thanks Judy.  Think I will make some.  I use a lot of Chinese dried mushroom,  so could think about it in stir fry.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 11:35:03 am »
I put a tiny bit in the burgers we had tonight as well as a good pinch of the mushroom powder I made. You couldn't taste it specifically but they were nice. I think I will use it carefully at first and see how we go. We have found that we love chomping on the dried mushrooms, sort of like crisps.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/