Author Topic: Recipe Review - Asian Beef Salad - Quick Fix in the Thermomix Pge 112  (Read 4401 times)

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
This recipe appealed to me but I quickly realised it was neither quick nor cheap. Beef eye fillet cost me $40 for the kilo however it was much cheaper than another store which had it for $55. It takes a while to make as it needs 4 hours to marinate and one hour for cooking and resting time. Regardless, like the author says, it's worth it!

I had it marinating for ~8 hours. It smelt so scrumptious as it was cooking in the oven. We took it out after 45 mins as the recipe states however it seemed quite soft and we weren't sure it was cooked enough. We cut it open and saw it was totally raw inside so decided to put it in for another 15 minutes as a recipe from the taste.com.au website said to cook it for 1 hour for medium doneness. We actually should've just followed the recipe as the resting time would've cooked it just enough. Ours was a little overcooked after the extra 15 mins but still tasted great. Hubby kept on commenting how tender this meat was.

It's a lovely salad, although a little too spicy for me. Perfect for hubby. Not sure how often I would make it though as it's quite expensive. Forgot to include the pepitas and sesame seeds too. Will do it when eating the leftovers.

Here is a photo:

Linked CC
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:08:35 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review - Asian Beef Salad - Quick Fix in the Thermomix Pge 112
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 01:09:46 am »
That looks and sounds really nice Tasty.  I have a couple of small chunks of fillet steak in the freezer so I might use one of them for this recipe on one of our very hot days coming up next week. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 02:12:30 am »
Love the look of it.  I have 500g of fillet & prime rib so might try it with one of these. I have these cuts as they come part of the side.

Well done for trying with the expensive cut. I am always hesitant in case it goes wrong.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 02:37:09 am »
looks lovely, and glad you gave the heads up about the cost of the cut as after I'd fainted, I would've just blamed the high price on our butcher. Have noted the cooking time tip as well cos we don't like our meat rare in the middle either, and I would've cooked for abit longer too.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 06:15:25 am »
Would be interested in how you go ladies.

CP - it wasn't just rare in the middle, the whole thing was rare when you cut it but obviously the extra 15 mins covered with alfoil does the trick. We decided to cut it straight after taking it out of the oven for the extended time and so it wasn't too bad.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 07:46:12 am »
so in 15 minutes standing time its medium on the outside and only slightly pink in the middle?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 12:23:26 pm »
Yes, I think so

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 11:34:23 am »
Actually we had the second half of the salad today and the rest of the meat we used for this was cooked but pink in the middle so perfect! That was with the added time and no resting time with alfoil really.