Author Topic: Recipe Review - Chicken Liver Pate - Baby & Toddler Book - p108  (Read 4472 times)

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
Recipe Review - Chicken Liver Pate - Baby & Toddler Book - p108
« on: December 07, 2013, 02:41:18 pm »
I have mainly been using the recipes from this book to feed my 9 month old daughter. I wanted something different so decided to give pate a go. Have never made it before and recently tried it at a restaurant and liked it.

Quite a simple process and it makes a fair amount. My daughter did not like it and wouldn't even open her mouth when usually if I persist she will. Is there a reason this is for older babies and would there be a problem if I introduced it early (or tried to) like I did? It doesn't say it can be frozen like the other recipes do so does that mean I can't freeze it? How long would it last for in the fridge?

I found the amount of butter needs to be doubled at least for the top part of the pate. Wasn't enough.

It had a nice texture and tasted ok but I think it's more my head not liking the idea of eating liver rather than the actual taste. It is quite a cheap meal to make, especially with 500g liver costing just over $2 from Woollies.

Photo to come.
Linked CC
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:47:18 pm by Cornish Cream »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review - Chicken Liver Pate - Baby & Toddler Book - p108
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 03:07:15 am »
Tasty I cannot stand the feeling that anything liver or kidney has on my teeth and tongue. Perhaps  your little one can't either. She may change though.
Sorry I can't help with your questions.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 03:30:15 am »
Tasty, things may have changed since my days with my own babies but I still remember when we used to go to Mothers' & Babies clinics every week to have the baby weighed and advice given.  One of my first DD's solid meals (and I can't remember how old she was but it had to be before she was 9 months old) was supposed to be hot mashed potato with fresh lamb's fry grated into it.  Obviously it would cook as soon as it hit the hot potato.  Now, I ask you - who is going to do this ???  Not this little black duck but just thought it might answer your question as to when liver can be introduced.  Modern day Mums are bound to have the answer for you so over to them.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 11:20:45 am »
Hubby used to eat stuff like that when he was a baby too. Anyway, after several attempts over the last couple of days including when she was really hungry, she turned up her nose at it.

Fortunately my 2 year old daughter was only too happy to have it so all was not lost.

I found out you can freeze them (thanks to Google) but not for long.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 12:30:44 pm »
You're lucky Tasty in that if both the children won't eat what you've cooked, at least one of them will. You are doing so well at going through the recipes in this book.

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 01:10:50 pm »
I am with cookie on this one as I hate the texture so  I don't think little ones would like it.
I also don't really want to eat an organ that is priimarily responsible for filtering  impurities in our bodies.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 02:37:25 pm »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 11:31:05 pm »
I'll eat pate but I don't like making it, that looks nice Tasty. I wonder if the little one would eat some mixed with mashed potatoes or other vegies.