Author Topic: Emily Mum of Four Coconut Yoghurt  (Read 21815 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Emily Mum of Four Coconut Yoghurt
« on: November 03, 2013, 08:59:41 am »
(I thought this recipe deserved to be posted in its own topic so we don't lose this lovely recipe from Emily Mum of 4)

"Here's my coconut yoghurt recipe:
1 litre coconut milk (I use the ayam brand and use more coconut cream than milk)
Heat in tmx to 80degrees and add 2 tab tapioca flour and 1.5 tab maple syrup and stir. Cool to 37 degrees. Remove 1/2 cup and add 2 teaspoons probiotic powder. Sir then mix back in.
Pour into warmed thermoserver and ferment 7 - 9 hours. Will thicken in refrigerator.
It's not cheap, but a 400ML Coyo (my favourite brand) sets me back $10.50 so making it is definitely cheaper."
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Emily Mum of Four Coconut Yoghurt
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 11:09:37 am »
Thanks CC.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:33:00 am »
Agreed! I want to try this :) just need a litre of coconut milk

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 07:30:36 pm »
Thanks for this recipe.  I have been looking at trying coconut yoghurt.  Does it need the maple syrup or can you get away without using it?  Do you have to start 'from scratch' each time, or can you keep some of the previous batch as the starter for the next one?

I'm just rushing through pages and pages of posts at the moment because I have been away for a few days so can't cross reference this, but I am sure there are recipes for making your own coconut milk and cream either on this forum somewhere or else (possibly) in the Indian cookbook or on Quirky Jo's blog.  All of these options should be cheaper than buying the ready made product.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Emily Mum of 4

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Emily Mum of Four Coconut Yoghurt
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 08:38:08 am »
Thanks for this recipe.  I have been looking at trying coconut yoghurt.  Does it need the maple syrup or can you get away without using it?  Do you have to start 'from scratch' each time, or can you keep some of the previous batch as the starter for the next one?

I'm just rushing through pages and pages of posts at the moment because I have been away for a few days so can't cross reference this, but I am sure there are recipes for making your own coconut milk and cream either on this forum somewhere or else (possibly) in the Indian cookbook or on Quirky Jo's blog.  All of these options should be cheaper than buying the ready made product.

Hi, I read that the maple syrup feeds the culture, that's all.
I have a thermie cookbook that had coconut yoghurt in it but it still had dairy as an ingredient so I couldn't use it.
Tapioca flour is arrowroot, grinding sago in thermie is the same thing.
The brand I love (Coyo) has all these ingredients so I was keen to try it.
If anyone has another recipe I'd love for it to be posted here. A friend was talking about a recipe where they put the jars with the yoghurt in the oven overnight with the light on. That sounded interesting.
Oh and apparently you do have to start from scratch each time. If anyone does it differently let me know, I don't want to waste a litre of coconut cream/milk finding out! :D

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 11:37:59 am »
We tried this yesterday & unfortunately it hasn't work. It separate & when checked today after overnight in the fridge it hadn't thicken.  We used the easiyo maker so wondering if this was the problem.

Offline Emily Mum of 4

• View Profile
Re: Re: Emily Mum of Four Coconut Yoghurt
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 12:10:20 am »
Ooh what a shame for you because it is expensive to make.
Did you use the ayam brand coconut cream? It is one of the only ones with no thickeners added... I don't have any suggestions I'm sorry because it works fine for me. Perhaps the temperature got too high for it? I know when I used my easiyo in the past I had runny yoghurt if I had too high temperature but sometimes it thickened in the fridge.
Sorry it didn't work for you! :-[

Offline MrsG

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 07:58:35 am »
In the past when I've done easiyo, if it didn't set, they said to reboil the water and fill the pot, and put it in again. (I called easiyo after a fail)

Offline Emily Mum of 4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 11:12:47 am »
Good news, quirky's new cookbook has coconut yoghurt in it if I'm reading her latest post correctly. Hopefully it will be more user friendly for you.

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 02:57:31 pm »
We haven't tried ayam brand & have had mixed results on the different recipes we have tried. Brand definitely plays a part in success. Just saw quirky jo post & looking forward to seeing her recipe 😄

Offline Emily Mum of 4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 05:09:50 pm »
Definitely need ayam brand for this recipe.