Author Topic: LSA  (Read 15638 times)

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
LSA
« on: July 24, 2009, 11:23:06 am »
Hi
I want to make LSA (Linseed Soy Almond mix) when TMX arrives.  Is the ratio listed in the EDC?  If so, I can grab it from there, but if not can someone tell me what amounts to put in please?
thanks
Narelle

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
Re: LSA
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 01:19:17 pm »
HI Narelle, I thought it was linseed, sunfower and almond!!  At least thats what I make. I put approx  100g of each into the bowl and blitz till I think it`s fine enough. Have recently found out how easy it is to make buttermilk bread and instead of using 500g of flour in the recipe I only use 450g and then add 50g of LSA and it turns out great. Makes a kind of grain bread.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:08:27 pm »
Hi Narelle, I use Linseed, Sunflower Kernels and Almonds as well. The ratio I make is 250g each of sunflower and almond and 500g or linseed. I hide it in EVERYTHING from bread, to cakes and biscuits and sprinkle it on most of my food as well  ;) I mill the sunflower seeds to the size I want and put to one side, then the almonds and put them with the sunflower seeds, then I mill the linseed and throw it all back in the bowl and pulse a couple of times on turbo  to mix it ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 11:12:01 pm »
Yes, you are both right it is sunflower  :P not soy  :-)) I realised in the night LOL.

Thanks for that.  I'm going to make some of this, I think its really yummy and will hide it in my girls food too.

cheers
N

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 01:44:20 am »
I've seen this in health shops girls - what are the benefits of it?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 06:12:12 am »
I've seen this in health shops girls - what are the benefits of it?

Health Benefits of L.S.A.

A well balanced source of Omega-3 and Omega-6 Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs).
      A great source of dietary fibre which helps to remove toxins from the body.
      Protein which is necessary for healthy muscles, blood and organs.
      Gluten free.
      Rich in Antioxidants.

From http://www.foreverlookingood.com/make-lsa-what-it-does-for-you.:)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 06:31:03 am »
Thanks for the link ceejay.  Sounds good to me - I like the sound of it being 'an anti-aging mixture' (perhaps a little too late for me but DH & I could get some other benefits from it). Putting the ingredients on my shopping list right now and DH will be getting it on his cereal and in smoothies and probably won't even notice.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 07:48:13 am »
It certainly is a wonderful mix - particularly if you are making it fresh yourself.  Remember that linseeds go stale (and lose their full nutritional benefit) quite quickly, so they need to be kept in the fridge after opening the packet.  I try to make my LSA up daily because I don't like to keep the whole mix in the fridge and so we have the benefit of freshly ground seeds and nuts in our food and juices etc.
Chelsea  :)

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 11:08:05 am »
It certainly is a wonderful mix - particularly if you are making it fresh yourself.  Remember that linseeds go stale (and lose their full nutritional benefit) quite quickly, so they need to be kept in the fridge after opening the packet.  I try to make my LSA up daily because I don't like to keep the whole mix in the fridge and so we have the benefit of freshly ground seeds and nuts in our food and juices etc.

Thanks for this tip - I didn't know that linseeds went off so quickly.  Will toss mine and buy some to store in fridge.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 11:13:42 am »
I was hoping the health food store sells these loose so that I only need to buy what I want for the first batch. Anyone able to verify this one way or the other please.

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 11:16:02 am »
I visited a nut farm here and the farmer told me to keep nuts in the freezer so since then I keep all my nuts and seeds and flour in the freezer, the nuts and seeds stay fresh and the flour doesn't get weevils. Best to take the flour to room temperature before baking so I usually keep abou 1kg in the kitchen. It is the oil in the nuts that goes rancid, they can be eaten straight from the freezer as they don't actually freeze.

Shayla in Cape Town

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 12:14:31 pm »
I was hoping the health food store sells these loose so that I only need to buy what I want for the first batch. Anyone able to verify this one way or the other please.
I know the health food store that I visit has them loose, but they are not in an overly airtight container so I don't buy them. Your local health food store may sell them prepackaged which may be a good option.  You can usually buy them at the major supermarkets in 250g or 500g bags quite cheaply (around $3.00 for 500g I think) - check the health food section.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 12:16:37 pm »
Thanks, now that Shayla has reminded me that you can freeze nuts, that may be the better option.

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 01:38:49 pm »
So Chelsea do you just buy yours from the supermarket then?  I will have a squiz at whats around up here soon when I get a spare second or three.  I know there is a place at sheffield I think that sells bulk things like organic spelt.  That is something we should consider mentioning to Fiona at the classes - bulk buy for things like that.  If there are some of us regulars (not me yet, but I will soon be!) there interested, it might be worth trying to nut something out.  I don't particularly like the idea of having to purchase 20kg of something but to split it amongst a few would be a great option.
Narelle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 12:47:39 pm »
So Chelsea do you just buy yours from the supermarket then?  I will have a squiz at whats around up here soon when I get a spare second or three.  I know there is a place at sheffield I think that sells bulk things like organic spelt. 
Narelle

I either buy organic pre-packaged linseeds from my health food store or the ones from the supermarket. I don't know if it really makes a difference with linseeds, but I try to buy organic if I can afford it.  A friend of mine (who is very into spelt) has checked out the bulk supplier at Sheffield - I can't remember what she said about it though.  I seem to remember her saying that the Grain Grocer in Launnie may have been better?? I will check and email you.  You are lucky to have the Grain Grocer in Launnie - we are so limited with whole/health foods on the coast.