Author Topic: Shampoo?  (Read 29244 times)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Shampoo?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 04:38:11 am »
haha come and play farmtown with me instead ;)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

stacelee

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 12:00:04 am »
I've tried upping the castille soap to more to give a better result.  My formula is now 2 tablespoons castille liquid soap, 1 cup strong herbal tea, 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil and 1/2 tablespoon glycerine.  Seems to give a better result and can also be used as a body wash.   Still experimenting tho.

Have a good day
Stacey
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 01:26:56 am by Thermomixer »

stacelee

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 12:01:37 am »
oops....make that 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil....it has been a long morning

Done - Thermomixer :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 01:27:57 am by Thermomixer »

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 10:47:54 pm »
I'll give this a go.  I keep meaning to switch to bicarb, with occasional shampoos.  I think you're brave to use it for your teeth, Brazen.  I keep thinking about that too, but the idea of the flavour puts me off.  I'm convinced it'll taste horrible.

Does anyone have a recipe for a moisturiser?  Perhaps in one of your books, Stacey?  At the moment I use a bought herbal type job, interspersed by avocado oil, whenever I'm going to be washing my hair the next day (it ALWAYS finds its way into my hair overnight, despite my best efforts.  Pity, 'cos it's brilliant).

Body lotion would be good too, come to think of it.

Also, I used to have a recipe for making shaving oil, which my husband loved.  He said it was better than any foam or gel he could buy.  Then he changed to a razor that didn't work so well with shaving oils, so I stopped making it and lost the recipe.  His latest razor, however, works well with it (he found a bit left in an old travel bottle - goodness knows how large the bacteria population in it was after so many years!!!).  So now he wants it again.  I got the original recipe by reading the ingredients on the back of a little bottle of travel shaving oil that I found in Australia, and experimented with the quantities.  So if you don't have a recipe, but do see a bottle of the shaving oil - could you read the ingredients list for me, please?n ;D :-* :-* :-*
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 11:17:50 pm »
yes, the bicarb isn't a great taste, but much the same as minty toothpaste for me (bleh) lol
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 01:49:23 am »
I used bicarb to brush my teeth over a week ago (as a whitening agent) and for the next week, it was so painful to use a toothbrush with very sore gums.  Didn't mind the taste of the bicarb but painful, sensitive gums - ouch! Worked as a whitener though but 5 minutes of brushing was probably a tad too long.  Used DH as a guinea pig with the bicarb shampoo trick but he wasn't that happy with it so back to the old shampoo.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 04:57:47 am »
hehe 5 minutes of brushing would be too much with any toothpaste! (i've always had sensitive gums & teeth) re the bicarb as shampoo, it does take a bit to get used to, your hair will feel VERY different, kind of heavy and feels greasy on your scalp even while it looks perfectly clean and feels it to touch. it's just very very different. lots of people don't like it either!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 05:01:30 am by brazen20au »
My Cooking Blog

Offline Sim

• Owner of a Melbourne-Based Cookie Company ;-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 06:27:36 am »
I use 'Tasmanian Beer Shampoo Bar' from beauty and the bee > http://www.beebeauty.com/12-shampoobar.html

Available from moobles and Anslie Pharmacy for those in Canberra. I find it really good and economical.

Then I make a vinegar rinse and put in a 300ml spray bottle.
40mL apple cider vinegar
10-20 drops rosemary essential oil
10-20 drops lavender essential oil
(try adding 10 drops of lemon or eucalyptus essential oil for dandruff relief)
fill the rest of the bottle up with distilled water

To use the rinse: At the end of your shower (after you have washed your hair) once you have turned the water off, use the spray bottle to soak your hair with the vinegar solution, do not rinse out with water and dry as normal. This balances the pH of you skin/hair.

In the past I have also just used unscented liquid castille soap as shampoo, with rosemary and lavender oil added. It takes about a month to get used to, my hair went very oily when I first started using it, but I just persisted with it and now it is fine.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 04:29:21 am »
 8) All this is right up my alley girls and boys!!

I have a business where I make and sell skin and hair care products. I haven't been onhere since April, but have just bought the new TM31, so am all excited about my timmy again! :D

If you're using any soap (or bi-carb) on your hair, make sure you do a vinegar rinse. If you don't like the smell of vinegar, use a solution of citric acid - 1/2 a tsp in a litre of water.

Soap and bi-carb are alkaline. Our hair needs acidity to make the cuticle sit down.

Saponified oil is oil which has been made into soap using either potassium hydroxide for liquid soap or sodium hydroxide NaoH for solid soap bars. NaOH is simply caustic soda. None of this is left in the finished soap if it's made properly, but the soap will be alkaline.

I'll post some recipes for various skin care treatments if you're all nice to me! :-*  :D
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 04:43:28 am »
Congratulations on the new arrival - look forward to more soaps.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 03:36:37 pm »
8) All this is right up my alley girls and boys!!

I have a business where I make and sell skin and hair care products. I haven't been onhere since April, but have just bought the new TM31, so am all excited about my timmy again! :D

If you're using any soap (or bi-carb) on your hair, make sure you do a vinegar rinse. If you don't like the smell of vinegar, use a solution of citric acid - 1/2 a tsp in a litre of water.

Soap and bi-carb are alkaline. Our hair needs acidity to make the cuticle sit down.

Saponified oil is oil which has been made into soap using either potassium hydroxide for liquid soap or sodium hydroxide NaoH for solid soap bars. NaOH is simply caustic soda. None of this is left in the finished soap if it's made properly, but the soap will be alkaline.

I'll post some recipes for various skin care treatments if you're all nice to me! :-*  :D

Oooh, we'll be very nice to you  :-* :-* :D 

Great tips, thank you.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!