Author Topic: Recipe review - Spiced apple & pear paste - Quick Fix - Every Occasion pg.31.  (Read 8628 times)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
This does smell like Christmas whilst cooking!

Very easy process....sadly my quinces weren't great this year due to Mother Nature, so this paste was a good substitute.
I found the spice flavour wasn't overpowering at all, compared to the aroma whilst cooking...so that was good for my taste :) there is a slight tartness, but I think it compliments cheese well.
I did cheat on the cooking process somewhat though  ;)

I didn't want to cook it for 2 & 1/2 hours as recipe listed, so this is what I did....
After the initial 15 minute cooking & then pureeing, I added 1 x 50g sachet of jamsetta, and cooked for 30 minutes, varoma temp., speed 4...done.
It was firmer than the quince paste, so next time I will add only 1/2 a pkt., and see if it sets a little softer.

I oiled a Texas muffin pan, and the cooked quantity filled 4 muffin holes.

Linked CC
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:54:19 am by Cornish Cream »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Bad luck about the quinces Maddy.  This paste looks lovely. Sadly I am the only one in my family who eats this sort of thing.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Great pics  Maddy.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The length of cooking put me off too maddy so if 1/2 pkt jamsetter works, that sounds good to me.  I'm sure someone will try it before I get around to it though  ;)  DD was interested in this one when she flicked through the book at the weekend.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
Thanks Maddy.  It's good to know that the jam setter works.

Offline MEP

• View Profile
That looks great Maddy.
From Perth WA

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
I'm planning on making this today to have with drinks tomorrow so thanks for the tips re the jamsetta, I hadn't read the recipe properly and didn't realise it needed that long a cooking time.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
I made this for Christmas Day and it turned out really great. My supermarket didn't have jamsetta so used the jam sugar and I think I cooked for close to 1 hour. I kept testing on a cold saucer and then poured into silicon moulds and into the fridge overnight, by morning they were set and easily came out of the moulds. I used one on a cheese platter on Christmas Day and everyone thought it was quince paste - lovely with cheese. I've wrapped the rest in baking paper then alfoil and left in the fridge, but thinking I'll try vaccum sealing one.