Author Topic: Recipe Review - Prawn & Fish Wontons - Baby & Toddler Book p176  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
Recipe Review - Prawn & Fish Wontons - Baby & Toddler Book p176
« on: September 03, 2013, 02:46:31 pm »
I had a few leftover ingredients that needed using up (fish fillets, prawn meat, chives, spring onions) so this was the perfect recipe for them. I also had some frozen wonton wrappers from when I was supposed to try a dumpling recipe from a Yum Cha cooking class I had recently taken but had yet to try.

Making the filling was simple enough however did take longer as I had to wait for the prawns to defrost.

The wonton wrappers were also a bit of an issue as I managed to defrost some easily but the others wouldn't unstick so left out the whole packet to defrost. This meant I cooked one lot (one tray) while waiting for the others to defrost. They tasted nice but a little too mild for hubby so he added salt for the filling in the next lot. The process of making the wontons can be quite time consuming but found that if you make it a bit like a production line rather than individually, this speeds up the process.

Second time round they were tastier and we both liked them except for the wonton wrappers. For some reason they turned out rubbery as can be seen in the second photo. Can someone tell me why that would be (as this has happened in the past with my limited experience with these. I tried a different brand with these too)?

I would recommend trying this recipe but allowing for more time. Oh and I found this made around 50 not 30 as the recipe states. My wonton wrappers would have been about 5-6cm and could only fit 1 teaspoon of mixture not 2 teaspoons like stated.
I think I didn't read the instructions for wrapping them in the front either.

Anyway, here is a photo before cooking and one after (which doesn't look great but hoping for some advice):