Author Topic: Recipe Review - Hazelnut Raspberry Pikelets - Baby & Toddler Book  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
Made these for breakfast this morning. I stuffed up in the beginning as I added the butter without setting aside the ground hazelnuts....was wondering why the butter didn't melt :-))

Anyway, decided to start again. I used frozen mixed berries instead of just raspberries.

These were also beautiful and light, just like the pancakes we made yesterday. My almost 2 year old loved them and even let me feed her (as yesterday we wanted to play with her food after I added toppings).

Here is a photo:

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review - Hazelnut Raspberry Pikelets - Baby & Toddler Book
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 12:28:19 am »
Tasty, i am loving all your reviews. I think i am going to have to purchase this book. Anyone know if it is avail for ipad.
Denise

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 01:31:04 am »
It appears to only come in the book version Denise.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 02:46:24 am »
I made these this morning for DH and the kids for morning tea.  Didn't have any hazelnuts, so I used almonds instead.   

There was a note at the bottom of the recipe about using buttermilk to make them fluffier.  I didnt have any buttermilk, but using Wonder's method of adding vinegar to milk to make buttermilk, I just added 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to the milk and let it sit for a few minutes while grinding the nuts. 

The pikelets were delicious and fluffy and beautifully sweet, even without any sugar added to the batter.

5/5  ;D ;D
Karen in Adelaide

Offline rostess

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 02:15:56 pm »
I made these a while ago and used blueberries instead of raspberries, but I don't think they provided enough sweetness as they were very ordinary. This time I used raspberries and they were much sweeter and nicer. I cooked a couple and then decided to add a splash (probably a tablespoon at most) of maple syrup to the mixture just to add a dash of sweetness (I was serving them plain so figured it was replacing the maple syrup that they were meant to be served with). I gave my son one of the non-sweetened pikelets and he liked it, so maybe I could omit the maple syrup in future.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 09:42:10 am »
Made these today as an after dinner dessert with a cuppa and we all thoroughly enjoyed them.

Used frozen blueberries instead of raspberries and half buttermilk and half reduced fat milk.

Cooked 6 at a time on my elec crepe maker which was a quick way to cook them all.

Ours were just the right amount of sweetness, (the blueberries were really lovely) and the adults preferred them served with a spread of butter on instead of maple syrup.

I think the left overs will be perfect, served cold tomorrow (buttered) for morning tea.  5/5