Author Topic: Chicken Croquettes - using Varoma  (Read 33390 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Chicken Croquettes - using Varoma
« on: July 16, 2009, 09:44:53 am »
My apologies, know I promised these a while ago - hope somebody tries them.

Name of Recipe:  Chicken  Croquettes

Number of People: 1 to many

Ingredients:

100 g Parmesan cheese in pieces
200 g bread, crusts removed and cut into chunks
1 clove garlic
500 g chicken thighs cut into 2cm chunks and partially frozen
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Salt
Another egg, beaten (for crumbing croquettes)

Preparation:

Place the cheese in the TM bowl and chop for 15 seconds on speed 8.  Add bread and chop for another 10 seconds on speed 7.   Remove crumb mix to a bowl and set aside.

Place garlic in the TM bowl and chop for 10 seconds on speed 7, scrape down the sides as needed.  Add 250 g of the chicken to TM bowl.  Chop the chicken by hitting Turbo 4 or 5 times.  It should still have some texture and not look like a paste.  Remove and place in a bowl.  Place remaining chicken in TM bowl and chop the chicken by hitting Turbo 4 or 5 times. 

Place the chicken and garlic; half the breadcrumb mix; and, one of the eggs and seasoning into the TM bowl.  Mix for 30 seconds on Reverse + speed 5, using the spatula through the lid if needed to push the mixture down.

Place some of the mixture onto greased aluminium foil and roll up into sausage shapes, about 3cm diameter, of lengths that will fit into the Varoma.

Place 1000 ml water in the TM bowl and set the TM for 20 minutes at Varoma temperature on speed 2.  Place the Varoma on top and steam the “sausages”.   Check to see how firm they are - they may need more cooking, but you don't want to overcook them.

After the sausages have cooked, remove the Varoma and leave aside to allow the sausages to cool.   Once cooled, slice into 1 cm slices, dip in the beaten egg and reserved crumbs.  Shallow fry.

Tips/Hints:

You can make up larger amounts, cook the sausages; cut into discs; and then freeze with silicon paper between, thaw and crumb as needed.

For a crunchier texture, use the Japanese Panko breadcrumbs rather than making your own and mix in the parmesan before coating.

You only need to shallow fry the croquettes, but I probably would not try to cook them in the oven, as they would harden up too much. I have coated and fried them, cooled them and then reheated them later in a slow oven for 10 minutes, and that works.

Have a play around and see if it appeals.

Originally published here: http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/2009/07/thermomix-chicken-croquettes-from.html

Tips & hints from members

Brazen20au - if you use chicken breasts you won't need to cook /steam it as long. I'm not sure how long but 20 mins is too long and will dry the breast meat out. I'd probably try 15 mins next time.

MJ - I can see some variations that could be done with these, such as adding Thai spices and lemongrass etc to make Thai Chicken Nuggets to serve with sweet chilli sauce.

Blackwood - I made some honey mustard mayonnaise as a dipping sauce to go with them. Great for lunch boxes too!

JD - I made a batch of these some time ago and with 2 rolls left, I decided to try using it in different ways other than for chicken nuggets.  Today I used half a roll for half a batch of Chicken Cacciatore risotto (just diced it & added it at the end with 1.5 mins to go to heat through).  The other half I will use for sandwiches.  So handy to have in the freezer. Have also coated them with philly cream cheese then dipped them into dukkah before frying off.

Our members have used alfoil, gladwrap or baking paper to wrap the sausages for steaming.  You can freeze them as is in rolls or sliced, crumbed and cooked.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:50:50 am by judydawn »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
Re: Chicken Croquettes - using Varoma
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 10:09:22 am »
They look & sound good Thermomixer!! :)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 10:15:55 am »
ohh brilliant, thank you! now if only i'd opened the post an hour earlier
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 10:23:35 am »
ohh brilliant, thank you! now if only i'd opened the post an hour earlier

Sorry,  :'( :'( :'( :'( :-[ :-[ :-[, I meant to post the recipe 2 MONTHS earlier !  Bad boy, no biscuit !!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 10:25:36 am »
lol
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 11:27:46 am »
Thank you Thermomixer - I was actually going to create a new post ready for you to add the recipe  ;)

Will try these tomorrow.  Miss 3 should be delighted  :-* :-*
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 10:23:43 am »
Thanks Thermomixer, these are great.  Did part 1 yesterday (cheated and used the chicken mince I had in the freezer, much quicker then defatting thighs :P) then crumbed and cooked them tonight.  Served them with a Vietnamese dipping sauce and steamed vegies and there are a few left over to try cold tomorrow.  I still have 2 tubes of the cooked mixture in the freezer and will take them down to DD next week for her to try.  A great thing to have in the freezer for all those kids who like chicken nuggets because this is really what they are.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 05:35:00 am »
These were excellent!! Everyone loved them. We used 2 roosters we had outback and no one likes looking at poor old Rusty whole and roasted on the table so these really took the sting out of that!  And they really did taste like chicken nuggets. Thanks heaps! :D

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 05:43:16 am »
i meant to add in here AGES ago - if you use chicken breasts you won't need to cook / steam it as long!!! i'm not sure how long but 20 mins is too long and will dry the breast meat out. i'd probably try 15 mins next time...
My Cooking Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 06:26:02 pm »
These were excellent!! Everyone loved them. We used 2 roosters we had outback and no one likes looking at poor old Rusty whole and roasted on the table so these really took the sting out of that!  And they really did taste like chicken nuggets. Thanks heaps! :D

Glad to hear that the roosters didn't die in vain.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 11:39:50 am »
I made these today and YUM, we'll never be having bought ones again.  Very handy to have in the freezer.  I have frozen small bags of breadcrumbs, suitable to do a small batch for the little ones.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 07:42:30 am »
They sound fantastic! I can see some variations that could be done with these, such as adding Thai spices and lemongrass etc to make Thai Chicken Nuggets to serve with sweet chilli sauce.
Hmm....think I'll be trying these soon.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 01:01:26 pm »
These are very yummy and the recipe made heaps. They are a little bit more fiddly than I am used to, but well worth the extra effort.  I fed my family of four (with substantial sides) and still managed to freeze half of them for another meal.   :)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 12:33:54 pm »
made these today for lunch and DD enjoyed them...DS will more than likely devour them for dinner..the garlic even though one clove came through too strong for me but i used pink garlic which tends to have a stronger flavour so will use less next time and some herbs etc in hte breadcrumb mix..also doubled the cheese as i read it wrong lol thought it said 200g so put half parmesan and half edam as thats what i had in the fridge..love the idea of making the sausages and cutting and freezing them ready to go..good for a quick meal/snack and avoids things like happy meals (DD loves nuggets and i hate buying them just knowing what goes into them) so big thanks thermomixer for the recipe...had been eyeing it for months but never got around to doing it..i just served it today with a vegie mash.  Oh also i wrapped mine in gladwrap for cooking ie the types that allow use until 170 degrees i think it is..just find it easier to roll sausage logs with it than alluminium paper ...thx again  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 04:20:14 am »
This was a good one to bump for newcomers Frozzie.  Most kids like chicken nuggets and these go down really well with kids and adults alike.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.