Author Topic: Tasmanian Scallop and Lemon Myrtle Risotto - A Seafood Bounty - p. 72  (Read 3497 times)

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
I was drawn to this recipe, I had bought the scales and hunted high and low but no luck finding lemon myrtle leaves or even lemon Myrtle sprinkles.

So this review is more of a "Watch this Space" than a fair recommendation as I just decided to go with what I had before the scallops reached their use by date.

I also made two other substitutions - broad beans instead of baby peas and plain white wine instead of verjuice.

The recipe gives the option of fish stock or vegetable stock and I ran with vegetable - plenty on hand.

Without the lemon myrtle, I knew I was missing something special, but we did enjoy the thyme and parsley I used instead.

One thing I found surprising in this recipe was the lack of the two minutes to toast the rice step, which the classic EDC tried and true Mushroom Risotto includes (thank you, Tenina).

Next time I make it (hopefully with lemon myrtle) I will add that step as we found the rice a tad crunchy.

This recipe guards the chef's secret and all it tells is "just before the risotto is ready" to add the scallops.

I decided "just before" was 1.5 minutes before, mainly on the basis that it took me 15.5 minutes to clean the scallops.  :)

So it was a lovely Scallop Risotto but we are left wondering how magical a combination scallops and lemon myrtle would have been.

Anyone reading this in Tassie, please PM me if you know where I can buy some lemon myrtle leaves and test the real deal.

4/5 so far.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 07:35:46 am by cecilia »
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Found some lemon myrtle today - if anyone else in Tassie wants it, it's available from Eatem Organic Farms' Salamanca - "Lemon Myrtle Australian $4.95 for 140g".
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution