Author Topic: Soya Bean Milk - A Taste of Asia  (Read 3745 times)

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
Soya Bean Milk - A Taste of Asia
« on: June 01, 2013, 07:44:45 am »
Brilliant! Nice and easy. Tastes just like the ones sold in Malaysia - minus the nasties such as preservatives.

Made sugar syrup separately, before the soya bean milk. That way, it's easier to control the sweetness.

Made very little though. Not enough for the 5 of us. About 1L from 100 g of beans.

Need to strain it well. I used a cloth strainer and just needed 1 round of straining.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
Re: Soya Bean Milk - A Taste of Asia
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 09:43:35 am »
Made soya bean milk and mixed it with grass jelly. Affectionately known as "Michael Jackson" in Malaysia :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 12:22:47 pm »
That's interesting BZB. What is the grass jelly please?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 02:13:47 pm »
Cookie, another OZ friend asked me the exact question ;D I've never thought about it until now. Hahaha.

Info on wiki: Grass jelly is made by boiling the aged and slightly oxidized stalks and leaves of Mesona chinensis (member of the mint family) with potassium carbonate for several hours with a little starch and then cooling the liquid to a jelly-like consistency.This jelly can be cut into cubes or other forms, and then mixed with syrup to produce a drink or dessert thought to have cooling (yin) properties, which makes it typically consumed during hot weather. The jelly itself has a slight bitter taste, a light iodine lavender flavor, and is a translucent black.

Offline Ekusumo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 10:41:52 am »
I actually added more water, about 1.3L? And it still tasted yummy. I agree that 1L is just too little for the effort.