Author Topic: Red Lentils & Vegetables review Pge 94 Baby & Toddler Book  (Read 4079 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I had some hokkein noodles left over from lunch today so went through this book to find a vegetable sauce as I only wanted a light meal.

I came up with this recipe and did half quantity (it still gave me 2 small serves).  My changes to make it more adult friendly were the addition of 1/2 tsp garlic paste, using pumpkin instead of sweet potato only because I didn't have any, adding some S & P and finishing off with some grated parmesan.  I did use a large pinch of cumin which was optional. I didn't puree the sauce but it cooks down to a puree anyway, just not a smooth puree.

I can't speak for kids with the taste but I enjoyed the meal and thought the sauce could also be used as a layer in a lasagne to get the extra vegies etc into the kidlets.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Red Lentils & Vegetables review Pge 94 Baby & Toddler Book
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 04:03:03 am »
More food from the freezer for lunch today.  A handful of ricotta gnocchi (recipe from the Vegetarian book) and the remainder of this sauce to which I added a large spoon of Philly cream for cooking.  Topped it off with some torn coriander leaves and parmesan - it was really nice.  A bit runny so I ate it with a soup spoon but the sauce could be thickened with some cornflour.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
Recipe Review - Red Lentils & Vegetables - Baby & Toddler Book p94
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 12:54:13 pm »
Well I thought I need to try and get some iron into my daughter and since she's hasn't been keen on meat dishes, I thought I'd give this one a go as I thought it'd be somewhat on the sweet side and it was. She didn't get to taste it tonight though as she was getting tired early and this took 1/2 hour to make. It did have a sweet taste though so we'll see how she goes with it.

Here is a photo:

Offline beyondbeeton

• View Profile
Re: Red Lentils & Vegetables review Pge 94 Baby & Toddler Book
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:00:07 am »
My little one enjoyed this. He kept grabbing the spoon off me and shoving it into his mouth, I must have been a bit slow for him! I used pumpkin instead of sweet potato because that's what I had.
Mum to two hungry boys born Dec 2010 and July 2013.