Author Topic: Pumpkin and pea risotto - cooking for your baby & toddler  (Read 5306 times)

Offline Aleisha

• View Profile
Pumpkin and pea risotto - cooking for your baby & toddler
« on: May 22, 2013, 01:31:02 am »
This is a nice recipe, but I'm not sure if it's an 'adult' or 'family meal' as it states.  It seems Louise has tried to avoid salt and added lemon instead. I love lemon and could eat them by themselves so I didn't mind he flavour, but the hubby kept saying there was something "weird" about it. My 21mo seemed to like it. She is not fussy though and will pretty much eat anything.   

I did use quirky cooking a chicken stock and not the one in the book so I'm not sure if that made a difference.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pumpkin and pea risotto - cooking for your baby & toddler
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 01:37:18 am »
For adults I would add a little bit of curry paste or garlic paste, would use my roasted vegetable stock concentrate and perhaps some coriander Aleisha.  Salt is something I would add to all the recipes in the book  ;)  I know we try and avoid it for the little ones but us big kids need it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 03:43:34 pm »
I would agree that this is a nice recipe, especially when eaten freshly made and hot with extra parmesan grated on top.

The lemon I used was quite juicy so the lemon taste was quite strong but I didn't mind that. The pumpkin could probably do with a touch more cooking.

Toddler ate it happily too.

All gluggy when reheated later. Would I have to add water when reheating??

Here is a photo:

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 12:46:50 am »
I think that's the case with all reheated risotto, Tasty.  It's really not good reheated - to reuse, turn into arancini balls is what I've heard.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 01:12:30 am »
Tasty as Ceclia says the best way I know to use up leftover risotto is made into small arrancini balls and deep fried. I do normally take a container of leftovers for my lunch and add some boiling water before reheating and it works ok but certianly not like fresh made.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 08:13:45 am »
I was thinking of doing arancini balls with what I have leftover over but can't be bothered now.

It does mention in the recipe to roll leftovers into balls and use as finger food.

I'm not sure what I'll end up doing.