Author Topic: Creaming Butter and Sugar  (Read 30490 times)

stacelee

Creaming Butter and Sugar
« on: July 10, 2009, 02:30:59 am »
Me again guys,

For my next dumb question....is there any easy way to cream butter and sugar together in the thermomix.  I made a banana cake yesterday and normally I would cream the butter and sugar together until very pale and fluffy.  I found it hard to get a similar result in the thermomix.  Is there a trick I am missing or is it not possible to do in a thermomix.

Poor Tom was overworked yesterday....he finished off the day making banana cake, then italian chicken casserole for dinner and then had to wake up this morning to make banana smoothies and mango and passionfruit smoothies.  He is getting a rest now until custard tonight as I actually have to be in my office today at work.

Have a great day
Stacey

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Creaming Butter and Sugar
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 02:59:03 am »
Blitzing the sugar to make it more like icing sugar and softening the butter by placing the temp on 37 degrees while creaming may help too.  Best to have soft butter.

Hope that helps.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline marmee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 06:03:44 am »
I have been making quote a few things requiring creaming butter and sugar.  As Thermomixer said, I always blitz the sugar on speed 9 for about 12 seconds.  Then add my butterfly and butter (we use Nuttelex - dairy free and soft like margarine) and whizz speed 4 (NEVER go above spped 4 with the butterfly) for about 30 seconds or so (can't remember- just until it looks good   :))

HTH
Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 06:09:03 am »

and whizz speed 4 (NEVER go above spped 4 with the butterfly)

hey, good tip - have to remember that one  ;) ;).  Seriously, I have mainly just gone with speed 5 without the butterfly, but think that the butterfly would help get more air into the mix.  Just a pain to flick all the butter cream off after?

Thanks marmee - will try it.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 06:13:32 am »
Are you guys having complete success with your baking when using margarine in lieu of butter?  You wouldn't need the 37o when creaming margarine would you Thermomixer?  Are some recipes definitely better with butter?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 06:21:49 am »
Are you guys having complete success with your baking when using margarine in lieu of butter?  You wouldn't need the 37o when creaming margarine would you Thermomixer?  Are some recipes definitely better with butter?

Depends on the variety/hardness of the margarine - some appear to be quite hard at room temp.  Ben Shewry (chef of the year in Vic last year) uses marg for "buttering" sandwiches that are to go in the fridge until being eaten as it doesn't harden as much.  Other than that I am not sure - don't do much baking as such - certainly need butter for shortbread.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 06:46:16 am »
Judy,

I used to regularly used margarine (flora) for years and had great results with cakes, biscuits ect.  The only two things I then used butter for were shortbread and a swiss vanilla crescent biscuit.  THEN I saw a TV programme on how they make margarine!!!   It was the colour of grease and then they had to bleach it to make it the "buttery"colour we know.  From that day on I will only use butter.  Don't know if you saw the artical in this mornings Ädvertiser" re low fat>  The artical goes on to say that they have now proven that all this low fat "stuff"we are eating is what is making people fat.  Have a read it's interesting.

Cheers
Trudy

Offline marmee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 09:10:23 am »
We have dairy allergy here so only ever use Nuttelex - even for shortbread.  Don't have a hassle at all.  It may not turn out exactly the same - but it turns out   ;)

And with the getting butter off the butterfly - no pain at all.  I usually just keep the butterfly in and mix the flour in with it aswell (if making a cake).  I like the butterfly for cake mixing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 02:31:23 pm »
Judy,

I used to regularly used margarine (flora) for years and had great results with cakes, biscuits ect.  The only two things I then used butter for were shortbread and a swiss vanilla crescent biscuit.  THEN I saw a TV programme on how they make margarine!!!   It was the colour of grease and then they had to bleach it to make it the "buttery"colour we know.  From that day on I will only use butter.  Don't know if you saw the artical in this mornings Ädvertiser" re low fat>  The artical goes on to say that they have now proven that all this low fat "stuff"we are eating is what is making people fat.  Have a read it's interesting.

Cheers
Trudy
Yes, read it Trudy.  Makes you wonder doesn't it? I must admit, I have used more butter than margarine since getting my TMX for some reason. I'd say if we saw a lot of things made, we would never eat them again and your description of the colour of margarine before bleaching is a real turn off.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 03:06:15 pm »
I saw the same one as well as an email that was doing the rounds with the same (and a bit more ugh) information on it. I have NEVER had margarine since (I even go without if I am out - as I can't stand the taste now either) and all that was pre TMX days. Making my own butter was just a bonus  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 01:10:41 pm »
i am in such a bin - i hat emarg and use butter at all times, but am pretty sure i have problems with dairy :( what to do??!!  ???
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 04:09:00 pm »
I don't know enough about these things Karen, but I am pretty sure my Aunt who has a dairy intolerance uses Nuttelex (I think that is how you spell it). At least it is something more for you to look at the label of when you are shopping!!!  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline marmee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 12:58:57 am »
We have dairy allergy here so only ever use Nuttelex - even for shortbread.  Don't have a hassle at all.  It may not turn out exactly the same - but it turns out   ;)

It is a marg type - but all we can do.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 12:18:38 pm »
I only use butter or sunflower oil for cake making! Most of the recipes that I have seem to use the technique of whisking eggs with sugar first with butterfly for 5 mins and then add oil or melted butter. Try that instead of trying to cream butter and sugar, cream the sugar without the butter (if you know what I mean!) ;) ;) ;) oh but can you use eggs?
Amanda

Spain

Offline SusanR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 10:58:41 pm »
Again with margarine. I will not use any hydrogenated oils at all ever. If you can't have dairy, maybe best to find recipes that don't require it than eat oil that has been solidified using questionable processes.