Author Topic: Rigatoni all'amatriciana  (Read 13741 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Rigatoni all'amatriciana
« on: September 10, 2008, 01:20:43 am »
Name of Recipe: Rigatoni all'amatriciana

Number of People: 6

Ingredients:

30 gr pecorino
200 gr. Guanciale (or pancetta, speck or bacon) diced
90 gr. olive oil
1 small onion, quartered
600 gr. tomatoes canned (drained) or fresh
1 chilli
salt
400g rigatoni  

Preparation:

Place the pecorino into the TM bowl and grate for 20 seconds on speed 8.  Set aside.
Put onion in the TM bowl and chop for 10 seconds on speed 7.  Add oil and sauté for 3 minutes at 100°C on speed 4.  Add in the guanciale and let cook for 5 minutes at 100°C on speed 1.  Now add in tomatoes well drained, chilli, salt and cook for 18 minutes at 100°C on speed 1. If you want a very thick sauce, then during cooking set the temperature at Varoma, and place the Measuring Cup partly open.  

While cooking the sauce prepare the rigatoni as per packet instructions.  If you wish to cook in the TMX, then make sauce first and keep warm while preparing the pasta.

Dress the rigatoni and serve. Serve with grated pecorino.

Photos:

Haven't made yet

Origin:  Translated and converted from the Italian book "Sua Maestà La Pasta" for TM 21 for TM 31 - but not cooked so watch timing/speeds.

members' comments

CP - This was absolutely divine! I used hot pancetta (instead of mild) and therefore put the chilli in whole. It had just the right amount of heat for us (no small children in our family). So easy and will definitely make this one again for sure. Hats off to you TMXR.

CC - I agree with CP, it's a lovely recipe and we enjoyed it very much. I took the seeds out of the chilli and chopped it with the onion, next time I would leave the seeds intact. I used dry cured back bacon because that's what I had in the fridge. A very easy recipe that makes a tasty fast meal.

Jamberie - This one is a winner! I chopped a clove of garlic, then chopped the onion, then bacon. I only added 30g oil then cooked at Varoma temp for 5 mins before following the rest of the recipe. It was just a little bit quicker for me that way. Great meal...on my list of favourites.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:00:08 am by judydawn »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Rigatoni all'amatriciana
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 12:53:00 pm »
This was absolutely divine! I used hot pancetta (instead of mild) and therefore put the chilli in whole. It had just the right amount of heat for us (no small children in our family). So easy, and will definitely make this one again for sure. Hats off to you TMXR  :-*
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 12:56:07 pm »
Thanks for bumping this CP, I would have never have found the recipe otherwise. ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 12:56:31 pm »
CP, I was only looking at some of TMXers early recipes the other day, you must have been doing the same thing.  Wish he'd come back and start posting again  :'( :'(
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 12:58:26 pm »
This looks similar to the recipe in the EDC but with larger quantities which is handy.  Yummy.  :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 01:53:46 am »
Yes he was the No. 1 Guru and is remembered fondly. MY DD's boyfriend said his favourite meal was Penne Amatriciana, TMXRs recipe came up in the search so I went with that one because his recipes are restaurant quality or given to him by a chef. I couldn't believe no one had left a comment because it really was delish. I've made that Arrabiatta sauce in the EDC, but this is much nicer I think because there was more pancetta and more tomatoes. (I used 2 x 400g tins whole tomatoes drained and this equalled 600g required)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 09:24:17 am »
Sounds good CP63.  Have printed it off ready to try.  :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 11:00:30 am »
I was asking my butcher today about the difference between speck and pancetta, and he said that speck is less fatty and has a bit more of a smoked flavour.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 08:36:16 am »
Thought there was more to it that that CP. You learn something new every day on this forum.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 07:39:07 pm »
I made this for our supper this evening.I agree with CP it's a lovely recipe and we enjoyed it very much.I took the seeds out of the chilli and chopped it with the onion, next time I would leave the seeds intact.I used dry cure back bacon because that's what I had in the fridge. ;D A very easy recipe that makes a tasty fast meal.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Rigatoni all'amatriciana
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 10:37:54 pm »
This one is a winner!
I chopped a clove of garlic, then chopped the onion, then bacon. I only added 30g oil then cooked at Varoma temp for 5 mins before following the rest of the recipe. It was just a little bit quicker for me that way. Great meal...on my list of favourites :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 05:27:29 am »
Hoping to make this soon. Sounds too easy :)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 05:29:16 am »
OMG it was! Especially if you are lazy like me and virtually throw everything in at the start (except the tomatoes) :)
I loved it because if was cheap, I had all the ingredients on hand and it was quick! I look forward to hearing how you go with it. FYI I took all the seeds out of the chilli as DD was eating it too (she is two).
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 05:30:46 am »
Great tip, will do same thanks jam.