Author Topic: Does our TM sound normal?  (Read 10210 times)

Offline ricky1981

• View Profile
Does our TM sound normal?
« on: May 01, 2013, 09:02:03 am »
Our TM is about 4 months old (Christmas present for my wife) and about a month ago we noticed it sounded different at low speeds (around 3-5) and on a couple of occasions our TM refused to chop soft ingredients (ripe tomatoes for example) unless we dialed the speed up higher. We reported the problem and the unit was checked by a local electrician (Thermomix NZ outsource the servicing) who didn't find an issue but only ran it with water  :-\ We're going through the process again but it's not proving as easy as it should.

The unhappy sounds vary from day to day, sometimes it sounds okay, other times it refuses to chop and in our view sounds "unwell". We're going in circles a bit with TM and I was hoping to get some feedback on whether our TM sounds normal in these videos? We sent them to TM but no one has replied to let us know if this is just how it should sound (which would be odd since we're sure the noise has changed but it'd be good to know either way).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuBqf3ItiY4 (very whiny, mixing a think cake batter)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IbEowPZtBY (seems to run out of gas at the end, mixing cake batter with some raisins and dried apricot pieces)

Excuse any chattering in the background, we have a 2 year old!

Thanks  :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Does our TM sound normal?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 09:32:50 am »
I'm having the exact same issue ricky. In laymans terms, its the blades - I think a "thread" or something like that has worn out. I've had my TM about 4 years now and I'm onto my 4th pair of blades. I know its the blades because I was able to switch over a set to determine the problem. I have rung up my consultant and she said "its like the tyres on a car, they wear out...blah blah". I said that I beg to differ with that analogy as we were sold the machine on the understanding that its German made, sturdy, used in commercial kitchens - you know all the reasons they gave you when justifying the price. The blades are about $115 now, and I begrudge having to buy a new set of blades all the time. I've always had 2 TM's or 2 jugs so that equates to a set of blades every year. She said it was probably because I was overloading it, but I definitely know I haven't been. I don't use it in a commercial kitchen or push my TM overly. Basically it is being used within its capabilities and to do everything that its manufactured and promoted to handle capably, so I am not very happy that this spare part is having to be replaced on an annual basis. My consultant made out that she rarely sees this problem, but it regularly pops up on this forum as people think that it is something wrong with their machine. I am waiting to hear back from my consultant if I get a discount/free pair of blades (pigs might fly but I will keep you informed). In the meantime ricky you should also contact your consultant.

Note: this is my diagnosis for your problem and it may not be correct  ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:34:26 am by CreamPuff63 »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 09:48:26 am »
You know . . consultants should be trained in "CUSTOMER SERVICE" . .Take down as much information as they can from customer-fraying-at-the-edges. and offer a simple, "I'll look into this straight away . ." instead of trying to fend off the complaint with all sorts of odd excuses and then call BM and HO and anyone else to say customer not at all happy and this is why . . ..  The machine comes with a warranty! and blades becoming blunt (I seem to remember being told that chopping ice would keep the blades sharp . .  :o :o - I don't think so . . .!!) or becoming a problem in other areas within that warranty period should surely be replaced.

I'm beginning to wonder if the manufacture of certain parts of this wonder machine are being outsourced to "other parts" of the world . . .

Just my 2c worth . . :-))

Ricky - get hold of your consultant again and if no help forthcoming, tell her/him you'll contact Vorwerk in NZ, Australia and Germany to track down an answer - and a satisfactory solution.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:06:53 am by goldfish »

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:02:59 am »
Bombard them with emails and phone calls . Not normal so should be fixed NOW!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline ricky1981

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 10:28:33 am »
Thanks for the replies, I'll get on to them again tomorrow, pretty disappointing after just 3 months. The hardest it's had to work was blending some smoothies (milk, banana, ice and frozen berries) and it's not been used more than a few times each week.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:35:06 am »
I would go straight to Germany, with copy to everyone else I could think of.  Doesn't.t sound right. CP I would do the same.  Make a big noise everywhere.    I believe HO watches this space so keep talking about service.

Offline ricky1981

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:43:57 am »
For those with the same issue, could you see any visible wear? The actual spindle that connects the blades to the unit looks absolutely fine and given that the noise occurs even with soft ingredients I don't think the issue is due to them being blunt.

Also, we seem to only get the issue at low speed. At high speed I grated some cheddar cheese with no problems or weird noises.

Hopefully it gets sorted, it does feel a bit like Thermomix in NZ isn't quite as established as in Oz and the servicing/support isn't as smooth.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:47:12 am by ricky1981 »

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 11:08:37 am »
My blades look normal to my eye, but the service dept would know what they are looking for. I had trouble grating 100g of mozzarella and it started to sound funny and I had to turn up the speed, and then was making faffas  sausage casserole and it just wasn't stirring. The next time I went to use it, it was making sounds like yours. Switched blades and its working. BTW consultant said she would talk to HO and get back to me on Monday...so I'm just waiting patiently until I lose my patience.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 01:10:55 pm »
Sorry to hear about the issues with blades, i agree with CPs comments - if the blades are indeed like tyres as in the analogy you were told by your consultant that should be part of the sales talk - we are all aware when we buy a car that we wiill expect ot change the tyres every xxkms so they should be upfront and let us know how long they last.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 01:12:15 pm »
This has made interesting reading. I wonder if they are getting so big things are not as good as they should be.

There was a thermomix advertorial on Today Tonight showing the machine and the new babies book.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline ricky1981

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 02:05:23 am »
Currently waiting on contact from TM in Australia but I can't recommend TM in New Zealand. It seems like the operation over here isn't properly setup and the main person we're dealing with has been pretty rude and unhelpful. I had fewer problems and better customer service taking a $50 iron back to Briscoes.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 04:45:50 am »
mmmn, my problem still ongoing. haven't ordered my replacement blades because I don't accept that I have used them overly or outside of what I've been sold on this machine. My consultant kept saying she had never heard of it happening before, and so its just an isolated case (pull the other leg). am writing to HO as we speak, and then if they don't do something positive it will be Germany. will update my progress.

Good luck ricky. If they treat their NZ customers like that it won't take off at all  :-))

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 05:17:54 am »
I get the impression too that NZ has a way to go....
Fortunately I've not had any issues with my machine (touch wood) but just a few little things make me think there is a bit of work yet to do.

I do a good sales pitch whenever people come to visit (ie I rave about it and all the things I make with it), but sometimes I wonder what they will encounter if they do decide to go further. 
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline ricky1981

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 08:55:08 am »
After some pretty blunt conversations and getting TM Australia involved we now have a brand new TM being couriered out to us. It's a shame we had to kick up a stink but TM Aus have been very good throughout, hopefully the NZ side of things picks up.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 09:15:24 am »
Good one!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.