Author Topic: Chicken & Pasta Salad with garlic dressing Review - Budget Busters pg 10  (Read 5078 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
I made this warm chicken salad today and after making the dressing and having a taste test, thought it would be really lovely as it tasted quite good on its own.  

I didn’t clean out the bowl after making the dressing thinking any extra flavour wouldn’t hurt while the pasta was being cooked in the internal basket and the chicken in the Varoma.

It only took an extra 4 mins cooking time than stated and after putting it all together, I was rather disappointed in the taste; as in there was hardly any flavour what so ever!

Can’t explain it, used the full lot of dressing as stated, most of which got sucked up by the pasta.  

A shame really because the chicken cooked to perfection and was lovely and tender/moist. (I cut my 2 chicken breast fillets in half vertically, putting the 4 pieces on the Varoma tray with the eggs in the bowl underneath, then sliced thinly before adding to the salad).

Basically there just wasn’t enough flavour in the dressing to give the whole dish a flavour hit which let it down.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:41:30 am by JulieO »

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
Re: Chicken & Pasta Salad with garlic dressing Review - Budget Busters pg 10
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 01:06:08 am »
I made this for dinner last night, simply because it used what I had on hand.

It actually went down really well here - possibly because the kids prefer milder flavours.

The sauce was definitely all soaked up by the pasta, but that worked well here as DD doesn't like things with sauce, unless the sauce is separate for her to dip into  :-))

It did make a little go a long way.  I had some for lunch today with still another small meal's worth left.
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 01:22:45 am »
Julie's picture looks delicious, glad your family liked it Jo.  I wonder if adding some garlic paste or anchovies to the dressing if that would step it up a bit Julie?  It looks too good not to fiddle around with the dressing to improve it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 05:12:12 am »
Yes Judy would be worth playing about with :D

Offline arcadia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 09:50:18 am »
Julie that salad looks wonderful.

May I ask is budget busters a book or ebook and where can I purchase if from?  Sorry for a silly question. :-[

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 09:53:17 am »
It is now called Cooking on a Budget and is a little booklet costing $7 arcadia.  See the link here and perhaps ask your consultant to get it in for you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 10:05:09 am »
Looks a delicious meal JulieO  8)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.