Author Topic: Recipe Review: Hungarian Goulash - Fast & Easy p. 127  (Read 8044 times)

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Recipe Review: Hungarian Goulash - Fast & Easy p. 127
« on: March 12, 2013, 03:33:29 pm »
This has a long list of ingredients which can seem daunting but it makes a wonderfully tasty goulash and isn't that hard to do as you just leave it cooking.

The tastes are really subtle and I've cooked it when people have come round for an informal meal (I don't think it's a dinner party dish) and it's gone down really well.    I serve it with Tagliatelle and stir-fried cabbage.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review: Hungarian Goulash - Fast & Easy p. 127
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 04:23:47 pm »
I haven't made this since getting my TM but we loved it :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Re: Recipe Review: Hungarian Goulash - Fast & Easy p. 127 and EDC p.99
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 06:17:56 pm »
Hi Katya and CC.  I don't have Fast and Easy but tonight I made the recipe in EDC and since it also had a long list of ingredients I'm wondering if it's the same recipe.  I noticed there is also a recipe called Hungarian Goulash in My Way of Cooking - shall have to compare.

Anyway, the Goulash we had tonight was wonderful - rich and tasty without being unduly spicy.  The only ingredients I did not have on hand were caraway seed/powder and pimento (Confession - I'm not actually sure of what that is!) but it was still delicious.

We served with gnocchi.

Here is a pic but apologies that I enthusiastically took the photo before I remembered to add in the red capsicum:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 06:20:08 pm by cecilia »
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 06:43:58 pm »
Just compared the recipes Cecilia,they are nearly the same but the Fast and Easy recipe has 3 juniper berries and a pinch of cloves added, it hasn't got the 3 Pimentos in the recipe either.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 06:47:50 pm »
Thanks, CC. 

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 11:22:59 am »
I do believe that pimento is allspice  ;) ;)

Edited to add .... Cecillia you replied before I could get back and add this link  :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:51:52 am by faffa_70 »
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 11:26:29 am »
Thanks for the explanation, Faffa.  :)

Offline melt44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 12:39:30 am »
Hi
I was looking at making the Goulash recipe from the Everyday Cookbook...I am new to Thermomix so wondered what cut of meat is best to use for these style of recipes.
Thanks

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 12:51:36 am »
Hi melt 44, welcome to the forum with your first comment.  I used blade steak in my Goulash recipe.

Why not pop over to the Introduce Yourself section on the home page and tell us a bit more about yourself, how long you've had your Thermomix, which recipes you've tried etc.  Our members can then formally welcome you to our forum.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 04:44:30 am »
Having just come back from Hungary yesterday with a DH who became addicted to Hungarian Goulash and goulash soup whilst we were there, I have been searching for a vegetarian goulash recipe - if there is such a thing, although I think I will be dead out of luck as the meat is such an important ingredient.  I can't see a way to easily convert this recipe to vegetarian, but I may give it a try with seitan.  I will continue on my search for a vege. version regardless.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 09:53:19 am »
I've been thinking about what you could substitute instead of meat Marina.Can you get Chestnuts? I have a super recipe that uses Dried Chestnuts in a vegetable stew for vegetarians.I can send you that recipe for you would like it?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 10:11:47 am »
Marina, there's a mushroom goulash in one of The Revive Café Cookbooks (the first one) on page 94 which I think you have and there are stacks on the internet so you should have no problem finding something delicious.  Then all you have to do is convert it for the Thermomix  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 10:35:26 am »
CC thanks for the offer, I would love that recipe.

Marina, there's a mushroom goulash in one of The Revive Café Cookbooks (the first one) on page 94 which I think you have and there are stacks on the internet so you should have no problem finding something delicious.  Then all you have to do is convert it for the Thermomix  ;D
Judy, I haven't been near my recipe books for a couple of weeks now, so I will have a look at the Revive recipe when I get up to Guildford tomorrow.  Thanks for finding that one for me ... as for converting it to the TMX ... well, that could be a really, really interesting exercise in catastrophe! 

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 09:23:02 pm »
I made the mushroom goulash last week and it was delicious (I did add considerably more smoked paprika than the recipe called for, though).  I was thinking of a suitable conversion to the TMX but the recipe makes quite a big quantity - it would be too much for the TMX and I don't think I could confidentally scale it down to a suitable quantity.

CC, thanks for the chestnut hotpot recipe It has been on my to do list for two weeks now ... I just can't find the chestnuts.  I have been concentrating on finding dried chestnuts until now, but I think I will have to look for either fresh or canned instead.