Author Topic: Going to Paris  (Read 79544 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Going to Paris
« on: January 18, 2013, 06:54:37 am »
I'm afraid a look at my finances has told me that I will have to give this a miss. I'm going to Paris in April 2014, so must pull my head in and stop spending!!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Going to Paris
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 06:56:49 am »
Sorry to hear that MJ but wow, you do have something else to look forward to ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Going to Paris
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 03:45:11 am »
paris sounds fun
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Going to Paris
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 05:21:09 am »
You will love paris in spring mj.. Have you been to monets gardens?? Plus all the chateaux especially around tours are pretty whenthe gardens are in bloom.. So many tours from paris and the chateau de villandry are well k own for their gardens..how long will you be there for?
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
Going to Paris
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 07:22:12 am »
Frozzie you have just transported me back to Giverny to Monets amazing gardens..... Stunning I could spend the entire day there.
MJ you will love Paris so much to see and do. I love  Ile Saint Louis which is a minute away from Notre Dame. Lovely cafes,shops and the famous Berthillon ice cream.  What a wonderful city  :D I bet you can't wait MJ

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Going to Paris
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 12:09:53 pm »
I love paris.. You could spend years there and not discover it all.. Yes monets gardens are lovely but in spring.. Took someone there off season and it just did,t have the same charm as when everything is in bloom.. I often wandered around paris with friends and always saw something new.. Gorgeous city.. Miss it, france, paris ex home :(

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
Going to Paris
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 12:13:59 pm »
I love Paris too Frozzie and never tire of it, was 14 the first time I went there and find something new every visit   :)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
Going to Paris
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 09:50:26 am »
....count me in that number - I soaked up the atmosphere of the amazing city, could have spent months instead of weeks - DH not so much  :)  :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:00:41 pm by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Going to Paris
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 10:39:58 am »
Frozzie, I'm going for 3 nights in late May with DH for my very first time to Europe. What would be your top 5 things to do?   (Or more if they are little things like grabbing a baguette and cheese and eating by the river type thing)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Going to Paris
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 11:59:33 am »
Cp you def have to go to the supermarket and get some meats and cheeses and wine yes sold in supermarkets.. Heps cheaper than oz nd the variety will blow you away then grab a baguette from a boulangere and eat wherever doesnt matter .. They sell them in supermarket but not as good as boulangerie. There are several parks which are nice o sit in but some dont want you on grass lol. Wouldnt eat along the river.. Not so clean imo but could also be in your hotel room with a few bottles of gorgeous french wine... With wine As there are so many to choose from go for ones with medals.. Usually a good guide when its all too much.. My fav wines are graves in white or black and saint emillion.. Now thats food out of the way well no actually you have to find a decent patissierie.. Just avoid tourist zones and if it looks good it generally is.. Go with your gut ...you could also go with some famous patisseries but honestly you dont need to.. If is your first time in paris you will want to do the classics... Champs elysees, arch de triomphe, eiffel tower, catacombes, the louvre and some other major museums if thats your thing, moulin rouge, the bateaux mouches (barge boats on the river seine)... They do short cruises, evening ones or meal time etc.. Very well known, pere lachaise cemetary.. Jim morrison, oscar wilde, edith paf etc amongst many others buried there and its interesting to visit..as well as some day trips just out of paris are monets garden and chateau de versailles... Pm me if you want any specific info.. Paris is a city to wander around in.. Lots of knooks znd crannies.. Oh also notre dame cathedral but be careful of pic pokets and between notre dame and the louvre along the seine are the bookinistes.. (Little venders selling books and french cards and posters etc.. Also a parisien icon and worth a wander.. Oh so jealous!! Paris is a gorgeous city..

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Going to Paris
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 12:07:05 pm »
Top 5 would be eiffel tower, bateau mouche, montmarte (yep forgot to mention that one lol), the louvre et notre dame

If possible monets garden and versaille..but they are out of paris..

How long will you be in paris/france?

Offline trudy

• View Profile
Going to Paris
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 10:39:41 pm »
CP, your time in Paris will just fly!!!!!  We have been there twice and still not seen everything we want to.  But do yourself a favour and go and see Sainte-Chapelle.  This little chapel was built between 1246 and 1248 and houses fifteen 50 foot high stained glass windows illustrating the Old and New Testaments.  It is often missed by tourists but is quite close to Notre-Dame Cathedral but remember to climb the stairs as there is more to see up there!!!!~  Also make the time to see Versailles.  It is easy to reach by local train and free if you have a Paris Pass although you will have to pay to see the gardens/fountains.  Try and go on a day when the fountains are working and if possible don't take a tour as then you only get to spend a couple of hours there and it's not enough. We spent three weeks in Paris last year and if you want any more info lets know.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Going to Paris
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 10:48:23 pm »
CP you will love Paris.  You will be frustrated that you can't see more and stay longer.  We have been there several times and although we have seen most of the things that Frozzie has mentioned,  we now like to wander through the not so touristy streets and just look in the shops and at the people.  If you are buying food,  don't buy too much at one time.  The markets are worth visiting.  I have a book on the Markets of Paris and if you tell me which days and where you are staying , I can look up what is available.    

Offline johnro

• View Profile
Re: Going to Paris
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 11:10:44 pm »
Need to mention that DH just loved Claude Monet's Garden. We trained from Paris to Vernon and then the bus to Giverny. The colours were too fantastic to describe (reminded us of the garden at Butchart Gardens in Victoria, Canada). Despite the huge number of visitors, the water lily pond with the bridge was so peaceful. So exciting for both MJ and CP  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
Re: Going to Paris
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 11:18:25 pm »
Sit in a cafe in Montemarte and people watch and the Moulin Rouge is a must  :D  so much to see and do.....
My DS proposed to his now wife on the Eiffel tower.  She was traveling with friends and he flew there and surprised her.
What a romantic city  :D