Author Topic: Watermelon Sorbet  (Read 17196 times)

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
Watermelon Sorbet
« on: June 17, 2009, 08:09:20 pm »
Name of Recipe: Watermelon Sorbet
Number of People:8
Ingredients:
1000 gm watermelon (without rind or seeds), cut into 1/2” chunks
90 gm sugar
3 Tbs. white wine or a liqueur of you choice (or vodka)

Preparation:
Sprinkle watermelon with sugar. Freeze at least 4 hours.
If you freeze it for an extended period, let it defrost until the pieces can be pulled apart (still lots of iciness, but not a rock).
Puree in thermomix with wine, turning control slowly to 10, holding for 20-30 seconds until smooth.  Use spatula if necessary. (I did this in 2 batches.) Spoon into parfait glasses and garnish with mint.
Serve immediately, or store in the freezer in a covered container up to several weeks.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:
The addition of alcohol keeps the sorbet from freezing solidly, even if stored in the freezer. If it gets too hard, you can re-fluff it in the thermomix.

Eat this in a warm place or outside on a very hot day.

I don't know if you folks get the watermelons like we do, but since my household consists of only two people, a whole watermelon goes a LONG way, and this is a way to freeze it and then use it later. And it is very cold and yummy.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 01:00:15 am by Thermomixer »
Aunt Annie

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Watermelon Sorbet
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 11:56:41 pm »
ooh yum!

and same here with the watermelon - the kids will beg for one and then only eat it once :-))
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 01:07:51 am »
Great thinking AuntAnnie.  I did watermelon sorbet for a friend who came to dinner last weekend, but put the chopped up watermelon into the TM bowl and blitzed, then froze the juice in ice cube trays and added kirsch and sugar when preparing.

Sounds easier to just chop and freeze.

With the left overs, I put that back into ice cube trays and then when frozen unmoulded into plastic bags to whizz up later.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 02:38:47 am »
I freeze cubed watermelon and make daiquiries with 2 cups frozen fruit (you can use any fruit), 1/2 cup white rum, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 2 tbspns castor sugar and 2 cups ice cubes.  Just blend everything together - makes 2-3 drinks.  Nice in summer to start off a dinner party.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 02:40:13 am »
Now that's a great idea!
Aunt Annie

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 05:35:30 am »
Ironically, I was last night talking with my 18yo and his girlfriend (of 4 years - so it will be a big thing for them) about their party they are having in a couple of weeks and making alcoholic slushies in the TMX!

Keep all your ideas coming, they will get put to great use...not just for the 18 year olds  ;) :D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 06:05:31 am »
Ironically, I was last night talking with my 18yo and his girlfriend (of 4 years - so it will be a big thing for them) about their party they are having in a couple of weeks and making alcoholic slushies in the TMX!

Keep all your ideas coming, they will get put to great use...not just for the 18 year olds  ;) :D
Check out Bron's (mainly all hers) alcoholic drinks for the TMX in the drinks section faffa_70 eg pina colada, margarita, gin fizz, gimlet etc etc.  The kids will find plenty to choose from there.  I have them all printed out so send them around to my place so they can browse the recipes ;D ;D ;D  You might have to do a few dry runs between now and the party so you had better get them to stock up on the booze.

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 08:07:42 am »
oh my gosh!!! I will be whipping that up by the bowl come summer!!!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 03:51:54 pm »
The funny thing is Judy, they really aren't big drinkers (THANK GOD!!) not to say that some of their friends aren't. We thought it would be a nice novelty lol and I have looked at Bron's drinks (I give praise for this forum every day  ;D ) It won't be held at my place ;) so when I have had enough, the thermomix and I will just bail out! South Aus is a bit far to send them JD, might have to come myself lol though think DH will just tell me to peruse the drinks section myself. :o
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 12:56:05 am »
I like that Kathryn, when you have had enough you and the TMX are leaving!  I can see all these kids chasing you, imploring you to come back.  Let us know how the drinks go at the party ;) ;)

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 10:22:24 am »
I think i might just have to try this tonight

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 10:35:11 am »
Im wondering when it says without seeds, if its okay use the "seedless" watermeon,which does have some small white seeds.  Don't think I could face deseeding watermelon and Judy's daiquiri sounds soooo good!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 12:19:26 pm »
The seeds in the seedless watermelon are so soft Lellyj, I'm sure they will just get blended.  Who can be bothered picking those little beggars out.