Author Topic: Pumpkin scones  (Read 13597 times)

Offline Paul

• View Profile
Pumpkin scones
« on: June 14, 2009, 02:39:53 am »
Well, a friend gave me an enormous pumpkin and I have been whittling away at it.  I think I'm right in saying there are no pumpkin scone recipes in the site or in the book?  At any rate, here goes

300g  SR flour
250 cubed pumpkin
Pinch salt
20g butter
1 egg

Steam the pumpkin in the varoma for 20 minutes, let it and the jug cool for a few minutes
Dry off the pumpkin pieces with paper towel or tea towel
Mash the pumpkin speed 5-6 for a few seconds
Add all remaining ingredients and blend on 5-6 for a few seconds until well mixed
 *:  :: until it makes a soft dough
Big fat warning! - pumpkins are very wet, and you may need to add more flour to get the right consistency of dough
Shape and cut into scones, dusting liberally with flour

Bake in 200 C oven for 15 -20 minutes

Lovely!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pumpkin scones
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 02:58:06 am »
Paul, I love you :-* :-* :-* :-* I was looking at recipes for all sorts of different scones the other night and had written out how I thought I could make pumpkin ones using our basic scone recipe in the everyday book.  Just where I put that conversion though is another matter ???  Now you have done the work for me and I am very grateful.  How can you not have a pumpkin scone recipe in an Australian cookbook ??? ???
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 03:01:04 am »
Paul, I love you :-* :-* :-* :-* I was looking at recipes for all sorts of different scones the other night and had written out how I thought I could make pumpkin ones using our basic scone recipe in the everyday book.  Just where I put that conversion though is another matter ???  Now you have done the work for me and I am very grateful.  How can you not have a pumpkin scone recipe in an Australian cookbook ??? ???

Thanks Judy!  I was a bit worried I had missed it somewhere, like I did with the coconut milk.  I was tryin to work out whether I could cook the pumpkin not using the varoma, but I think you would need to add water if you did it in the jug and that would make it too watery.  Anyway, I have just eaten a scrumptious, orangey-golden delicious scone with some nice butter, and I'm going back for more.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 12:58:09 am by Thermomixer »

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 04:20:42 am »

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 04:27:09 am »
probably only a few minutes :)

i really should post more of my recipes on here but i always forget lol
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 04:30:18 am »
I think that would make them less soggy than steaming them.  I will give that a try next time.  I still have 1/4 of a pumpkin left

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 04:38:28 am »
next time you have your oven on just chuck in the pumpkin cut into large chunks (even dryer in the oven, i always bake my potatoes for gnocchi). puree then free in small portions ready for using :)
My Cooking Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 05:10:14 am »
Love to have a camera to take a photo of my 'scones' - they look more like a rock cake ??? ??? ??? Paul, I ended up putting 550g flour into the mix as it was sooo soggy and then thought I had better not add anymore so I put them onto the tray with a tablespoon as there was no way I would have been able to cut them like you normally do a scone.  Cooked them for 15 minutes, not cooked inside so gave them another 5 minutes.  Still a little gluey but wasn't going to cook them any longer as they would have been as heavy as a rock cake.   Tried a couple but tasted a bit stodgy.  Where did I go wrong?  I microwaved the diced pumpkin for 7 minutes, cooled and squeezed out excess juice. 

Had a look at Karen's site for the way she did hers and will study that when I have more time.  Trying to get a roast to come together at the moment and I have things going left right and centre.

Where's Flo when you need her ;D ;D ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 05:28:07 am »
Hi Judy, they were pretty soft and squishy but they came out ok.  Maybe bake the pumpkin?

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 01:02:32 am »
I think that would make them less soggy than steaming them.  I will give that a try next time.  I still have 1/4 of a pumpkin left

Don't think it makes a difference to sogginess - some recipes (including Stephanie's) say you may need to add some milk.

I have made them by steaming in the basket and then butter and sugar creamed before adding the pumpkin (not dried) and blitzing before adding the flour. They work fine - but roasting may give a stronger flavour?

Should there be a "Brush tops with milk" ? before placing in oven>
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 01:17:40 am by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 01:15:55 am »
Love to have a camera to take a photo of my 'scones' - they look more like a rock cake ??? ??? ??? Paul, I ended up putting 550g flour into the mix as it was sooo soggy and then thought I had better not add anymore so I put them onto the tray with a tablespoon as there was no way I would have been able to cut them like you normally do a scone.  Cooked them for 15 minutes, not cooked inside so gave them another 5 minutes.  Still a little gluey but wasn't going to cook them any longer as they would have been as heavy as a rock cake.   Tried a couple but tasted a bit stodgy.  Where did I go wrong? 

Where's Flo when you need her ;D ;D ;D

Lady Flo to us possum.  Think they are usually pretty soft and probably need a spatula to lift and transfer to plate.  Probably just too much flour.

Maybe add some extra (1/2 tsp) of baking powder next time ?

Will try and report back.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 01:32:28 am »
possum
bwahahaha! you sure you're not channelling dame edna there? :D ;D
My Cooking Blog

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 03:04:24 am »

Don't think it makes a difference to sogginess - some recipes (including Stephanie's) say you may need to add some milk.

I have made them by steaming in the basket and then butter and sugar creamed before adding the pumpkin (not dried) and blitzing before adding the flour. They work fine - but roasting may give a stronger flavour?

Should there be a "Brush tops with milk" ? before placing in oven>

I like them with the dusty, floury look so no milk for me, possum!

Offline rubyslippers

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 09:25:23 am »
No idea why, but I feel like some of these right now.  Who wants to make me some?   :P