Author Topic: Recipe Review: Minted Red Rice & Chickpea Salad - For Food's Sake  (Read 5128 times)

Offline paperfreak

• View Profile
Recipe Name: Minted Red Rice and Chickpea Salad
Book Name: For Food's Sake, by Tenina
Tweaking details: I  used less peppercorns
Review: Love the recipe, especially the sauce/dressing. I made the mistake of buying the wrong type of red rice though. Who would have thought there are different types! I just grabbed a packet one day at the Asian grocer. I happen to buy red yeast rice though, not that it said that on the packet. I just looked at it after it was cooked and thought, that isn't what Tenina's looked like. So I googled some pics of red rice and realised it was a different one.  Red yeast rice is meant to be a highly nutritious fermented version of red rice, but it went very gluggy when cooked as per the instructions in the recipe. Anyhow, I think the rice is the least important part of this recipe. Next time I make it, I will do it with quinoa instead, but using the same dressing and salad ingredients.

The sauce is a real winner, but I only used half the amount of peppercorns, as I thought a tablespoon would be too much and for me it was a good choice. There is just enough pepper in the dressing to not make it overpowering. The combo of salads exactly as listed is perfect.

Definitely one to make again. I love a good salad.
Score: (5/5)

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Review: Minted Red Rice & Chickpea Salad - For Food's Sake
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 07:34:22 am »
Can't find red rice anywhere, anyone know of a shop or supplier in WA ?

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:05:53 am »
I have bought red rice for this recipe...now I have to look at the label more closely

Offline paperfreak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 03:04:58 pm »
Oh sorry, not very good at checking the forum for comments on my posts.
You can buy red rice from any Asian supermarket.