Author Topic: Reviews of Fruity Pear Mince Tarts Pge 27 Festive Flavour  (Read 8058 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Reviews of Fruity Pear Mince Tarts Pge 27 Festive Flavour
« on: November 09, 2012, 10:39:09 pm »
No-one has reviewed this recipe in this thread but these comments from people who have made it were found in another thread.

9/11/12 *suzanne* said - I made some fruity pear mince tarts they are delicious thought I had better have a practice run before Christmas. Scroll down this page to see the picture.

10/11/12 frozzie said I'm not a lover of fruit mince but loved the pear mince. It's delish and much better than the traditional fruit mince.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Reviews of Fruity Pear Mince Tarts Pge 27 Festive Flavour
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 10:44:50 pm »
How far in advance do you think this recipe could be made, both the fruit mince alone and then the actual tarts.

Also for GF versions, from what I have read of the 3 recipes you use to bring this one together, I would only need to replace the plain flour in the almond pastry with GF flour and make sure the cornflour is not wheaten cornflour in the marzipan stars and the whole thing is then GF?  Guess they would freeze well?

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 02:30:22 am »
JD, in the "Countdown to Christmas" in Festive Flavour, it is recommended to make the Fruity Pear Mince on 16 December.  :D
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

*suzanne*

Re: Re: Reviews of Fruity Pear Mince Tarts Pge 27 Festive Flavour
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 04:26:46 am »
Not sure how long in advance, I made the filling last weekend and put it in a sterilised jar then made the pastry on the day. the heart or star on top was just cut out of left over pastry

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 06:52:57 am »
Thanks Cecilia.

Suzanne I like your idea of using pastry for the stars as I'm not a fan of marzipan and I would make the pastry as close to the date of giving the hamper as possible.  Do the tarts have to be kept in the fridge?

*suzanne*

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 07:09:03 am »
I didn't before DD took them I was too scared the pastry would go soggy, I kept a couple and haven't put them in the fridge either and they still taste great, I didn't have the recipe from the Festive Flavours cookbook I think I got it from the recipe community and it didn't have the bit about the marzipan stars but just now looking at my book (which a very lovely forum member sent me ) I see it does mmm never mind I wouldn't have done that either I don't like marzipan, I didn't use ginger (don't like it) nor brandy (didn't have any) but they were still yummy

Offline csrobinson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 12:37:42 am »
My husband has been asking me to make these for him ever since the Christmas food hit the supermarket shelves. I don't usually like Fruit Mince Pies so I have been dragging my feet a little with it (and having 2 little kids doesn't help either) but I tried these at the Festive Flavours cooking class at the weekend and they were delicious. I can't wait to make them now, just need some child free time so I can have a go at them :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 01:10:54 pm »
They really are delicious. If you use marzipan for the stars you can use leftover marzipan for biscuits or roll into fruit shapes for the children.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 04:07:30 am »
Can anyone tell me how many of the tartlets these make? I have been told to use double the pastry recipe as there is a lot of fruit mince and I am trying to figure out if I should do the single pastry amount and them make the left over mince into puddings... too many decisions.
Kerryn

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 05:09:16 am »
How far in advance do you think this recipe could be made, both the fruit mince alone and then the actual tarts.

Also for GF versions, from what I have read of the 3 recipes you use to bring this one together, I would only need to replace the plain flour in the almond pastry with GF flour and make sure the cornflour is not wheaten cornflour in the marzipan stars and the whole thing is then GF?  Guess they would freeze well?

Jd you could make this well in advance.. I had it for months in a sealed jar in my fridge without any problems etc..then just make the pastry fill and cook the day of or day beforebwhen needed ..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 05:12:50 am »
Can anyone tell me how many of the tartlets these make? I have been told to use double the pastry recipe as there is a lot of fruit mince and I am trying to figure out if I should do the single pastry amount and them make the left over mince into puddings... too many decisions.

I put my fruity mince in a large jar and as you only put a teaspoon in each tart it goes ablong way.. Here is a photo from 2 xmas' ago along with other goidies.. I only baked enough for us the rest remained in the jar in fridge... Lasts for ages..

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 02:05:46 pm »
Well here is my review for you  ;D

I LOVE this recipe!! I am a fruit mince lover but won't go back to the traditional fruit mince, but make this one all the time now. It is not like you would expect fruit mince to be  ;)

The fruit mince will actually keep for months in a sterilised jar in the fridge (think it's to do with the brandy!!) I know as I found a jar early this year and it was perfectly fine. Was a nice treat with some hot custard ... much to DH's disgust (too soon a reminder about Christmas lol)

You would never know the ginger is in there so try it out before leaving it out.  I just mince it up fine so that people who don't like it don't get a "lump" of it in a mouthful.

The Marzipan stars are totally different to the marzipan you may be thinking of. I loathe the commercial stuff *shudder* yet will happily eat this and as Cookie says make the extra into biscuits.

If you wanted to use up the whole batch of fruit mince you would need to double your pastry at least.

You can also make double pastry, roll it out and place it in a large baking tray, fill with the fruit mince and place the stars on top in rows.  When it is cooked you can then just slice it up into squares, with a star on each.  A little messier to eat as finger foods but very easy if you are cooking for a crowd and would serve on a plate  :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 12:38:18 am by faffa_70 »
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 06:42:34 pm »
After trying others This is definately the best in my opinion because its different and not like a traditional mince art... I love these!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 09:23:58 pm »

Well here is my review for you  ;D

I LOVE this recipe!! I am a fruit mince lover but won't go back and make this one all the time now. It is not like you would expect fruit mince to be  ;)

Did you mean you would go back and make this one all the time now Kathryn?

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 12:37:15 am »
Yep JD won't go back to the traditional fruit mince (will fix my post lol) ... make this one all the time. It's pleasant to coax people to try it who don't like fruit mince and have them like or even love this one  ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!