Author Topic: Quick Fix in the Thermomix - Turkish Delight Ice Cream  (Read 5707 times)

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
Quick Fix in the Thermomix - Turkish Delight Ice Cream
« on: October 30, 2012, 09:07:17 am »
I started making this today and thought I'd provide some feedback even though the ice cream is not yet finalised (it's in the freezer at the moment and needs to stay there for a minimum of 12 hours).  I did try some earlier though (without bothering to put it back into the Thermomix for the final mixing) and it was delicious.

I used Rapadura instead of the raw sugar specified in the recipe.  This has meant that my ice cream is darker in colour than the one featured in Alyce's book.

I do think the recipe omits a step or two....
1. Mill sugar in TMX for 8 sec.
2. Add Turkish Delight, chop for 10 seconds.  Remove one third and set aside.
6. Remove mixture from freezer.  Cut into pieces and process in TMX for 30 sec. 
7. Continue to process for a further 30 sec while adding reserved Turkish Delight.  Continue processing until mixture resembles ice cream.

If you follow the steps above, the reserved Turkish Delight mixture also contains sugar so you are stirring the milled sugar back into the ice cream in Step 7.  I suspect you are supposed to take the sugar out of the TMX after step 1, chop up the Turkish Delight, put some aside and then add the sugar back into the TMX bowl before proceeding.   Because I didn't remove the sugar after step 1, I decided not to reserve any Turkish Delight.  This means I won't have any visible pieces in my final product but I can live with that  ;D

I'll report back tomorrow after I've completed steps 6 and 7.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Quick Fix in the Thermomix - Turkish Delight Ice Cream
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:15:11 am »
Hopefully alyce will jump on here also to advise  :)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline alyce alexandra

• View Profile
    • alyce alexandra cookbooks
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 10:27:47 am »
Hi VieveMS,

Thanks so much for your review and comments! It is always great for me to hear how other people interpret my recipes.

The reason that I keep the sugar in the bowl when chopping the Turkish delight is that I have found that if you try to chop Turkish delight in an empty bowl it all gets stuck around the blades and clumps together. I find with the sugar in the bowl the Turkish delight is nice and evenly chopped (and you dont have a big sticky mess under the blades!).

I do take your point about stirring some of the sugar back in at step 7, but I find that given it is icing sugar by this point it isn't a problem. Perhaps using rapadura sugar it would not mill as fine? I am not sure, I haven't made this recipe with rapadura (although I do love rapadura sugar!).

I personally love little chunks of Turkish delight in my ice cream but it would be equally delicious the way you have done it! It really is a personal preference.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes tomorrow! Hope the above all makes sense, but any questions let me know :) 

Cream Puff - haven't been on the forum in a while so good timing to get on tonight!

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 11:00:53 am »
Thanks Alyce for your quick response - I'm sure I'll be making this one again so next time I'll use the raw sugar and follow the recipe as per the book.  I agree that mixing the Turkish Delight with the sugar resulted in an even cut and no gooey mess.   If I have time in the morning I may go and get a little more Turkish Delight so I can stir some in when I re-mix in the Thermomix.

I also have a batch of your Goat's Cheese setting at the moment so will post a review on that one soon.  I am really loving your cookbook.

Offline alyce alexandra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 11:05:59 am »
That would be nice! It does add a nice texture. But the flavor will be great regardless.

Looking forward to reading about the goat's cheese - I just put a batch of yogurt on myself! Any questions do not hesitate to get in contact again. 

So wonderful to hear you are loving the cookbook, thank you! :)

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:12:16 am »
How great is this forum when the books author can answer your recipe questions.

Thumbs up for Alyce too.

Love this forum and just went and ordered Alyce's book.
I do the best I can

Mama Fergie

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 11:16:04 am »
I am waiting for Quick Mix in the Thermomix ebook version coming out.

Hopefully within the next week or two.  :)

Offline alyce alexandra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 11:24:08 am »
Yes it is a great forum, agreed chrissa! thanks for your order :)

Mama Fergie, haven't got a definitive date yet but can't be far off! I can't wait to see it - the sneak preview I got last week looks amazing. I will keep you posted.

Mama Fergie

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 09:04:58 am »
Yes it is a great forum, agreed chrissa! thanks for your order :)

Mama Fergie, haven't got a definitive date yet but can't be far off! I can't wait to see it - the sneak preview I got last week looks amazing. I will keep you posted.

Thanks Alyce I can't wait  ;D

Have looked at the contents and so many recipes I want to try  :)