Author Topic: Thoughts/opinions on coconut oil please  (Read 9365 times)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts/opinions on coconut oil please
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 12:10:57 am »
Apart from lathering myself in the stuff before sun baking in my teens (will no doubt pay for that stupidity later on  :-))), I haven't used the big Jar I bought ages ago....must re-read threads also.
There seems to be just as much confliction with this stuff, as there is with potatoes, eggs, bread, etc.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 01:03:20 am »
Was thinking coconut oil along the same lines as maddy!! Sun tanning lotion!!  :o
:D

Offline ~[fruity]~

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 01:24:59 am »
I use about a desert spoon every 2nd day in the almond milk I make (1 litre every 2 days) and it is lovely, I do buy the organic virgin cold pressed though and have never found an after taste. It is full of wonderful anti bac properties haven't used it in any cooking though. Interested to keep up with this thread as to the whys / why nots
A day without laughter is a day wasted

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 01:29:11 am »
Yes I put it in a cup of tea too - I found it hard to eat it by the spoonful and so did my husband but its nice mixed into something.  I do it for the health benefits.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Slice of Health

• View Profile
    • Slice of Health Facebook Page
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 02:27:03 am »
Coconut oil is awesome in Quirky Cooking (Jo') ice magic.

I use coconut oil occasionally, it is high in saturated fat but have heard it has heaps of health benefits and is different from the other saturated fats/animal fat. I have heard it is effective in weight loss too, but this is what I've read in numerous health type websites and some of the magazines. I haven't done a lot of research (as I'm not trying to lose weight) but many people swear by it.

I find the flavour really nice but usually I only use a tablespoon here and there.
Eva, Slice of Health (my personal Thermomix blog)
www.sliceofhealth.com.au
www.facebook.com/sliceofhealthrecipes
Darwin, NT

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 06:01:47 am »
Cyndi O Meara has also written about coconut oil and some myths about it here:

http://changinghabits.com.au/_webapp_826848/Benefits_of_Coconut_Oil

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 03:52:44 pm »
I love coconut oil for soap making and skin care. I use refined and deodorised for soap making and pure virgin organic for skin care. I also use the Virgin oil for cooking occasionally. It's nice for Indian foods.

Even though it's a saturated fat, it is considered a 'healthy' one as it's made up of medium chain saturated fatty acids. These particular fatty acids have been found to assist in alleviating digestive disorders including irritable bowel syndrome and microbial related tummy bugs, according to some studies. Because they are smaller, they are taken into the blood stream faster and used up quickly.

CO gained a bad rap during the time the cotton industry was in the doldrums. The industry was keen on promoting cotton oil as a better oil than coconut and used the 'saturated fat' argument to push cotton oil over coconut.

Copha is coconut oil with lecithin.

It's not a complete oil in the fact that it doesn't have the omega's. It's good for frying as it has a very high smoking point.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 11:46:14 am »
Found this today by accident.
Quite interesting.

Only have non organic in the house at present, will have to wait to buy the organic!

http://editorial.victoriahealth.com/cooking-with-coconut-oil

Edited as forgot link!!

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 11:17:25 pm »
Interesting DJ the only trouble with coconut oil is that it is solid so a bit hard to rub into skin and a pain to have to melt it all the time  :)

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 12:09:11 am »
Yvette, I use coconut oil all the time as a moisturiser for my body.  I keep a jar in the bathroom and just scoop a bit out, rub my palms together until it becomes liquified and then apply to legs, arms, face, etc. 

I also use it sometimes for cooking (add it to recipes or use it for frying) and have even added it to smoothies, etc.  It's great stuff. 

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 03:06:50 am »
Oh ok Vieve and it isn't hard? I bought some once and had to heat it up to soften it.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 06:08:50 am »
Yvette, l scoop a small amount of the solid oil into a small container and if is cold just put a bit of warm breath on it and rub your finger tips over it, it is a lovely moisturizer for your face.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 10:47:06 pm »
Thanks AB  :)

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 11:15:39 pm »
I think and MJ will correct me that there are two sorts or coconut oil and they have different melting points approx 92 and 76 (Fahrenheit).