Author Topic: What's For Dessert - Rhubarb Raspberry Pie Review  (Read 4860 times)

Offline Trigona

• View Profile
What's For Dessert - Rhubarb Raspberry Pie Review
« on: September 25, 2012, 01:58:06 pm »
OK - this is my first ever post! I've had my Thermomix for 5 months and, like all of us, love it to death. Since buying Tenina's ebook last week I've been keen to use up the bunch of rhubarb lingering in the crisper, so tonight was the night.  I used the vanilla bean pastry recipe in the ebook - simple. Considered scraping the seeds from the vanilla pod but followed the recipe and used the whole pod, crisped first in the oven. Made the fruit filling as per recipe, but substituted strawberries for the raspberries and added them to bowl along with rest of ingredients before cooking the mix.  Made a lattice pastry top.

The pie looked fabulous, and taste was fantastic. The pastry on top was crisp and golden, but the pastry underneath wasn't really cooked. The family (3 teenage boys and husband) demolished it despite this, along with a serving of vanilla custard from the EDC.  Next time I'll blind bake the case first.  I had been surprised that the recipe didn't suggest this, plus that it didn't recommend letting the filling cool before adding to the case, but decided to try it as it stood first. Maybe if you used a metal tin the base would cook, but think blind baking is needed for a ceramic pie dish (which is what I used).

Delicious dessert that will be used often in this house!

Cheers
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream - CS Lewis

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What's For Dessert - Rhubarb Raspberry Pie Review
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 02:08:46 pm »
It certainly looks nice Trigona.  Maybe Tenina will pop on and answer your queries.

Welcome to the forum with your first posting.  Why not pop over to the Introduce Yourself section on the Home Page and tell us a bit about yourself so that you can formally be welcomed by other members.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 07:46:37 am »
Tigona thanks for that review. The e book is great isn't it?

Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 08:32:25 am »
Your pie looks great Tigona. when I bake pies I usually parbake them then brush the base over with beaten eggwhite.  Place this back in the oven for another few minutes.  This seems to help the fruit from softening the base.

Offline natalia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 09:36:26 pm »
HI Trudy, when you par bake them is it the same method as blind baking them.  ie do you have to put something in the dish to stop the pastry from rising.  How long do you parbake for.  Thanks, Natalia

Offline Trigona

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 02:52:40 pm »
Thanks Trudy for the tip about parbaking and the eggwhite - will try it next time.

And yes  - the ebook is fabulous! Look forward to working my way through all the recipes :)

Thanks for the welcome.

Michelle, Turramurra NSW
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream - CS Lewis

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 02:18:55 pm »
The pie looks beautiful Trigona and welcome to the madness that is this forum!!

I didn't parbake the pastry case as if you have a pastry setting in your oven, and as the filling is already cooked, it isn't a train wreck if you don't...but by all means, do it if you prefer a crispy base. Personally I like a little bit of a soggy (though cooked) base with a fruit pie...I think its the English in me! hahahaha

All great suggestions from the girls as usual tho

xx
T