Author Topic: New Oven suggestions  (Read 39339 times)

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
Re: New Oven suggestions
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2014, 02:38:18 am »
I am finding myself in the same place as when I  kept researching the thermomix.  I am trying to work out if Miele are as good as popular belief.  I have a blanco 90cm at the moment, not impressed as I don't get an even bake. My last was an all in one huge la germania electric oven and gas hot plate.  That took a long time to heat up and also not an even bake.  I am determined to get something reasonable this time.
We are going to a "Miele experience" on Saturday and I will have a bit better idea of my needs then.  Certainly I don't need a computerised automatic oven ( apple pie,golden, set and away it goes type oven).
Bee I haven't looked at Siemens and haven't heard anything about them but will do now.
We are in a good position as have plenty of time.  Our builder uses Smeg.
I will update as I research. 
Feel blessed to have the input of all the forumites as we all enjoy cooking and are probably expect great things from our ovens.
Denise

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2014, 04:10:09 am »
Denise, Jo's Miele has a setting which can heat the oven more quickly than normal if you're in a hurry.  Put that on your list of questions for the Miele evening ;)  My Miele cooks evenly, I think you will find that is a plus for them.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2014, 06:26:29 am »
Denise, I recall researching smeg years ago (when I started daydreaming about a new kitchen 😁). Not good reviews.

For me, my must haves are:
- German technology
- pyrolytic
- good lighting
- fast to heat up
- as much space as possible within the 600 mm box
- slide out racks
- minimum triple glazed doors
- not over the top expensive

😄😃

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2014, 07:14:44 am »
Our first house had Blanco, shocking oven.

i love my miele and wouldn't want any other oven. It cooks evenly, has rapid heat up, I rarely turn the oven on before I start preparing food. Switch it on at the last minute and its ready to go very quickly even without using the rapid heat up. I can cook a lot of food at once, occasionally I wish I had another oven to cook food at different temps etc, but thats on a rare occasion.

It has all the programmes to cook food to perfection, I haven't used them, unless I am cooking meat with the probe, use that all the time.

Let us know how you go.

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2014, 09:31:18 am »
Denise ... hanging out to hear how your Miele experience goes.

It is beginning to look like it may be Miele or Siemens from the various posts on this thread.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
New Oven suggestions
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2014, 11:28:43 am »
I have a blanco pyroletic and love it. It's the same one they use on my kitchen rules in kitchen headquarters

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2014, 07:55:05 am »
I would reccomend anyone thinking of purchasing a miele oven to attend the "miele experience".  It cost $25 for two people to attend.  On arrival a coffee was prepared for us and served with a yummy macaron.  We were then ushered into the demonstration.  Firstly, a dough that had been proving in a warming drawer was shaped and then placed into the top of the range oven. She programmed for a white loaf with a golden crust and switched it on. The oven does the second proof and then bakes.  It came out perfect. Next she demonstrated the steam oven ( this seemed to dominate in the demo and actually confirmed my opinion) a tray of prawns already to serve on spoons was cooked for 4 min @ 100c , these were passed around, very tasty.  Another oven had the automatic program  set with a pork belly, this also came out looking good and was melt in the mouth delicious. A huge beef fillet was cooked using the internal meat thermometer, this wasnt the top of the range oven which has a wireless thermometer but one that plugs in to the side wall.  Once again perfect. She demonstarted how to use the steam ovens ability to cook using all four trays, steaming rice, eggs, salmon and leeks, also she had prepared earlier a vege stock ( it comes out beautiful and clear from no agitation when steaming) this was used for a leek risotto, also cooked in the steam oven.  Merangue baskets were cooked in the warming drawer and a berry compote demonstated the induction cooktop together with melting chocolate in frypan.
After the demonstration we all enjoyed a smorgasboard of the wares.
I had wanted to see the speed oven demonstrated (multi wattage microwave and convection oven smaller than the 60cm oven) this wasn't demonstrated at all and she suggested attending a different class aimed at after the purchase for more knowlege on this item. These classes are free.
I thought we would purchase a speed oven, a fourth from the top of the range 60 cm oven and a warming drawer prior to attending the class. I now think a warming drawer unnecessary as the ovens range from 30c to 300c and will probabaly get two ovens one with the programmed recipes and extra features and once more basic.
I think that after all the reports and comments I would regret not spending the extra and getting a miele oven, although I am sure many would be as good.  My luck would be that mine wasn't and i would always think I should have bought the Miele.
Regarding Steam ovens, just my personal opinion, I hate how drippy they are, obvious I know and she had a towel ready to wipe the bottom of the tray as it came out of the oven. Easy but I would find and do find with my smalll sharp microwave steam oven, it annoying.  I also would like all the steam released into my kitchen and wonder if it would encourage mould.
I hope miele after purchase service is as good as their sales pitch as everything was done to a very high standard.  I expected a follow up hard sell phone call and so far this hasn't occured.
I am not sure I have helped anyone with my review however I would encourage anyone interested after finding out the price of your desired oven to attend the experience. 
Denise

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2014, 08:30:43 am »
I have used many ovens over the years and the only one that gave me huge problems was Ilve so I highly recommend that you stay away from their products. Once bitten twice shy.   >:(

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2014, 08:58:24 am »
A great report Denise.I'm sure this will be so helpful for people who want to buy an oven in the future. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2014, 09:06:54 am »
Sounds good, Denise 😃

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2014, 09:44:39 am »
Great report Denise and I'm glad you are clearer about what you want and don't want now.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2014, 11:47:52 am »
Great info now I want to see the link. DH electrocuted himself on our stove on the weekend by accident. The buttons were sticking and he tried to fix it. Obviously wasn't thinking and didn't turn the circuit off. He should know better.

Offline Augusta

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2014, 05:17:09 pm »
Thanks for your report Denise. We are building a new house so I have been looking around for a decent oven etc. your report has now convinced me to go with miele and to go to the demo first. Thanks

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2014, 10:11:31 pm »
Thanks for the review, Denise, I was really looking forward to hearing how your 'experience' went and it all sounds very encouraging.  I will have to take a good look at their range now and see what will work at our place and what won't as we don't have unlimited space or resources. 

It was interesting to read your comments re. the steam oven.  I suspect it is something I would not get a lot of use out of, except for bread.  Overall, do you think it is worth going for a steam option (remember that I only cook vegetarian / vegan), would it be worth the purchase expense just to steam eggs, etc occasionally?  I would love to hear your opinion - or everyone else's opinion who has a steam oven.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2014, 10:22:00 pm »
Marina,
I love the look of the shot of steam function in their oven range. You can set it to release automatically or manually.  I am sure steamed food is tasty and  good for you I just can't cope with all the water and drips. We also have the varoma and it does most things I would do in a steam oven just not big quantities.
I am also sure there are many great brands of oven out there. I don't want anyone to think I am pushing Miele, I would recommend having a very nice meal and a couple of hours looking at their product.
Denise