Author Topic: All About Sour Dough .  (Read 317941 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: All About Sour Dough .
« Reply #1035 on: August 27, 2014, 10:27:03 am »
Wanting to get back into it so started a rye sour today using organic rye  I bought today and ground. Want to make just one loaf for Jewish rye bread before I go on hol.  Don't need it but want a distraction from my still hanging about lurgy. Also made the dark rye colour so as not to use molasses or coffee. Didn't think I could do it but turned out to be easy as. So more feeding the sour tomorrow and we will see how it goes.  When I come back I am needing to get a few things like proofing baskets and a lame. Ay idea where to shop? Nothing in Cairns at all.

I love my Secrets of a Jewish Baker but am open to anything interesting. Even downloaded a cheapie from Amazon for my Kindle on iPad as it is in colour.

I don't actually want to eat the bread just to make it.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1036 on: August 27, 2014, 12:09:37 pm »
Gert, you have the bread bug really bad.    ;D.      Just wanting to make it and not necessarily eat it,  indicates this.  I often just want to bake a loaf and then cut it in half ,  to see what it looks like.  Friends don't seem to mind a loaf cut in half. ,!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: August 27, 2014, 12:23:40 pm »
Yeah I am getting my cooking mojo back as soon as I finish with the bloody lurgy I I picked up in Sydney. I am absolutely cranky and more than over it. I may never get on a bus again!

So I am trying to focus, between coughing fits, on something new and exciting while finishing off a bottle of butterscotch schnapps.

Need a new challenge. Just doing the one thing and then in Sept it will be all go. Well I may have a demo or two.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: August 27, 2014, 12:55:49 pm »
I think you are hooked too Gert.  ;D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #1039 on: August 27, 2014, 02:19:09 pm »
I adore making bread. I like to eat a little, not too much with loads and loads of butter!

I've had the dreaded lurgy too, Gert! Can't believe it, I haven't been ill with a cold for over ten years and wham! This one hits me for six. Spent most of the weekend in bed. Still coughing now and then and sinuses are still blocked.
Worst part is I haven't been able to cuddle my little grandson... :(

My rye/white sourdough is looking luscious. I like the idea of removing some to make a rye starter when wanting a rye bread.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: August 29, 2014, 06:45:37 am »
I am in the process of making Chookie's SD walnut and raisin crumpets. I didn't read the recipes properly and have put too much sultanas and walnuts in. I have heaps of starter left so will do some correctly now. I had a few problems with them sticking too, so will be more careful this time.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: August 29, 2014, 07:06:04 am »
OMG these are amazing. I wish I hadn't read the recipe. I was careful with the greasing this time and everything was perfect. I couldn't wait and spread some butter on one and ate it. So very tasty.
These must be the very best SD creation ever.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1042 on: August 29, 2014, 07:21:00 am »
Cookie, glad you enjoyed them.  Less added ingredient seems better.  I have just made some with semi dried tomatoes and prosciutto.  I added too much . I spray the crumpet rings with Rice Bran oil , before I add the mix.  That is when they are heating in the pan.
Easy once you get the method correct.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:53:30 am by achookwoman »

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: August 29, 2014, 07:49:57 am »
Bread bread and more bread .Real bread. Not wet crap bread wrapped in plastic with numbers instead of  flour,yeast, salt and sugar.

Gert

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #1044 on: September 04, 2014, 05:02:23 am »
Bread bread and more bread .Real bread. Not wet crap bread wrapped in plastic with numbers instead of  flour,yeast, salt and sugar.

Gert

Yup! My DH will only eat that bought crap. I squeezed it in my hands and showed him what it will do in his gut, but he won't budge.
I love my sourdough. I haven't been game enough to make it free form yet, still making it in the bread tin.

Must make those crumpets now!!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1045 on: September 04, 2014, 08:54:05 am »
Think you will love the crumpets. 

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #1046 on: September 05, 2014, 10:45:16 am »
Can't find the recipe Chookie!  :o
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: September 05, 2014, 10:58:52 am »
Sour Dough Crumpets recipe for you MJ.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #1048 on: September 05, 2014, 12:41:55 pm »
Thank you!!
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1049 on: September 05, 2014, 10:03:30 pm »
Thanks CC.   I have been busy making SD crumpets for the Farmers market today.   Not a lot in the garden to take.