Author Topic: All About Sour Dough .  (Read 317664 times)

Offline troupie

• View Profile
Re: All About Sour Dough .
« Reply #1095 on: March 10, 2015, 08:54:43 am »
Me too; I mean to do it every time I open the fridge but something gets in the way.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 15, 2015, 08:30:38 am »
A bit about rye starters

I don’t recall seeing any info about rye starters in here and for some reason I keep getting an error when I try to search. So mods please feel free to delete this if it is duplicating info already here.

This info is based on my relatively short experience with a rye sourdough starter and what I have read in the “Bourke Street Bakery-The Ultimate Baking Companion” book.

Creating a rye starter is easier than creating a white starter because the rye flour ferments faster. The basic ratio is about 60% flour and 40% water because rye absorbs more water. It takes just over a day to get a rye starter going. If anyone would like the rye starter recipe I’ll add it here.

A rye starter will happily live in the fridge. In most recipes, you can use the starter straight from the fridge.

Rye flour doesn’t have a high gluten content like wheat flour, so it can’t hold structure as well as wheat flour (in other words rye flour can’t rise, trap and hold air like white flour).

This means that a rye starter will be fine for most sourdough recipes if you’re using white flour as well (although the end result will be a bit heavier, it will have a lovely flavour). I haven’t tried a 100% rye loaf yet.

This also means that you can’t use a rye starter for chookie’s crumpets. (Yes I did try just to make sure ;D).

I really want to make crumpets so I've split my rye starter in two. Half will remain rye, and the other half is going to be converted to a white starter simply by feeding it with white flour. “Bourke Street” says its doable so fingers crossed. I'll keep you posted.
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: March 15, 2015, 09:09:47 am »
I agree Gayle. I have had  a rye starter in the fridge for about 6 months and haven't touched it Soon I will revive it and it will,be fine I am sure. I love the denseness of rye bread and the huge flavour.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 15, 2015, 09:23:43 am »
I always had a rye starter when I was doing Yoke Mardewi's classes. Eventually I managed to kill it and didn't do SD until Chookie kindly brought some starter over to the Forumfest in Gracetown. That is still going strong. If I wish to do a Yoke recipe, I just split my starter and feed it up with rye and leave the other bit white. From memory she always used some white bread flour in her rye breads.

Djinni if you would like any of her recipes I am happy to pm you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1099 on: March 15, 2015, 10:03:36 am »
Thanks Djinni for your info on RyeStarter. I supposei am basically lazy and find the White Starter more versatile . If I want a rye loaf I just useRye flour and the White starter.
What I find really fascinating is once someone starts making SD, they develop their own favourite recipes.  All with interesting interpretations. I just love that you can put your own stamp on SD bread.
I hope you have fun with the Crumpets. I have now made hundreds.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: March 15, 2015, 02:03:40 pm »
Thanks Gayle, very interesting.
Denise

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: March 16, 2015, 06:45:34 am »
I have my starter out of the fridge and will feed him up today and tonight. I will decide what to make with it tomorrow.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: March 16, 2015, 10:58:20 pm »
I always had a rye starter when I was doing Yoke Mardewi's classes. Eventually I managed to kill it and didn't do SD until Chookie kindly brought some starter over to the Forumfest in Gracetown. That is still going strong. If I wish to do a Yoke recipe, I just split my starter and feed it up with rye and leave the other bit white. From memory she always used some white bread flour in her rye breads.

Djinni if you would like any of her recipes I am happy to pm you.

I don't know any of her recipes but I would love any recipes that you have liked. Thank you very much :-* 
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: March 17, 2015, 06:11:36 am »
Here's a link for one of hers I converted to tmx. These are lovely.

Thanks Judy. DDIs on her computer, I will try and remember to do it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:54:48 am by cookie1 »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 17, 2015, 06:22:47 am »
Oops, you forgot the link cookie  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: July 02, 2015, 11:31:12 pm »
All these posts of Sourdough are making me really intrigued about making one.
But not sure where to start, I have been using Chookie's no fuss recipe to make bread loaves, but would love to give Sourdough a try due to the health benefits compared to white bread.

Any suggestions/tips on where to start for a beginner?

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: July 02, 2015, 11:39:01 pm »
And also, is it a right time to start a Sourdough starter, in this cold weather? Sorry lots of questions  :(

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1107 on: July 03, 2015, 12:11:40 am »
And also, is it a right time to start a Sourdough starter, in this cold weather? Sorry lots of questions  :(
Thermal over, Not impossible to make a starter in winter, but slower and more difficult. Much easier to get one from someone else.  Not sure where you live but I could post you some to get you started if you are not too far away. You would have to be able to get it within 3 days for it to survive. Let me know here or send PM.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: July 03, 2015, 06:41:38 am »
OMG I need to hang my head in shame.
Here is the link http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=15571.msg363715#msg363715

I don't know how I missed that.  :'( :'(

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: August 08, 2015, 04:51:52 am »
Have started my first ever Sourdough starter today, fingers crossed, hope I can make it work :)