Author Topic: All About Sour Dough .  (Read 318413 times)

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
Re: All About Sour Dough .
« Reply #1050 on: September 10, 2014, 06:12:34 am »
Chookie, I made your basic Sour dough bread today and tweaked it. Very happy with the fruit loaf that resulted :D

I love the recipe, added cinnamon, half a grated nutmeg, 1 tabs rice malt syrup and about 220g dried fruit (sultanas, ginger and dates) and almonds and pistachios. I soaked the fruit and nuts for 10 mins in boiling water, drained well and added in the last minute of kneading. I have tried other sour dough fruit loaves, will stay with your basic recipe and add whatever I have in the cupboard, so much nicer.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1051 on: September 10, 2014, 08:04:39 am »
Ellie,  love what you added.  Glad you enjoyed the SD.

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: September 14, 2014, 09:31:12 am »
I have just made a sourdough cake; too hot to cut yet but I am hoping it will be great. Will post if it turns out. Thanks again Chookie for all the help with sourdough and all the other recipes you share with us.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1053 on: September 14, 2014, 12:12:12 pm »
Troupie,  very interested to hear how the cake turns out.  I am feeding up a second jar of starter to make SD crumpets. 

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: September 15, 2014, 10:54:29 am »
The cake turned out great Chookie; lovely with a bit of butter spread on it. I will make it once more and then post just to make sure I get times and speeds correct as it was not a TMX recipe. Just another way to use sourdough and more goodies to try of course. To me it was also comfort food as I love a bit of buttered cake with a cuppa.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1055 on: September 15, 2014, 11:01:04 am »
Troupie,  sounds delicious. 

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: September 15, 2014, 01:19:57 pm »
I can hardly wait for the recipe troupie.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1057 on: October 16, 2014, 06:09:09 am »
It's finally time to have a go at sourdough!  I have just read every post in this thread with great interest! And thank you to everyone for posting, it has all added to my learning!
I'd love to start a starter, and am interested in your thoughts on suitable temperatures.... Over the next week, we are expecting temps of 0-18, 3-17, 3-20, 4-26 (daily variance of approx 20oC). Would it be OK to:
a)  leave the starter outside overnight
b) bring it inside overnight
c) try in summer?
Any help greatly appreciated!
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: October 16, 2014, 06:19:25 am »
I'm sure Chookie will come to the rescue. I have never started starter from the start. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: October 16, 2014, 06:24:39 am »
Interesting Jamberie. I left my starter outside for about 4 days then brought it inside. The temp varied from about 26 to about 10.

Anyway you got nothing to lose but some flour and water.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: All About Sour Dough .
« Reply #1060 on: October 16, 2014, 06:30:20 am »

Anyway you got nothing to lose but some flour and water.

Gert

So true Gert! With that advice, I might try two versions....one brought inside and the other kept outside :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1061 on: October 16, 2014, 07:39:33 am »
With temps like yours,  I would bring it in at night.  Might take a bit longer but don't chuck it out unless it smells off. 
If all else fails I can post you some. But it is nice to have your own home grown starter.
Let us know how you go.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: All About Sour Dough .
« Reply #1062 on: October 18, 2014, 04:18:25 am »
Thanks Chookie. I'll bring it inside when it's colder....fingers crossed!

Offline ElsieD

• View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: October 20, 2014, 01:30:46 am »
Yesterday I finished reading this entire thread.  I was trying to make a starter and was not impressed with my efforts but thanks to people on this forum I persevered.  I kept wanting to toss it and start again when I would read a post that said "Don't do it!  Feed it and leave it alone".  And so I took that to heart and applied it to my starter as well.  Here we are now on day eight, and tonight it has FINALLY come alive!  I swear I could stand next to my kitchen counter and watch it grow in real time.  I am beyond excited.  So thank you, everyone.

So tomorrow or the next day I hope to make some bread.  I will base it on the original recipe on this thread.  But what I would like to do is make buns.  I have 2 bun pans so can make 12 buns at a time. Can someone tell me how long and at what temperature would I bake them?  I'm guessing I would bake at 200C for maybe 15 minutes?  I know that the information is in this thread as I saw it but I would rather not have to go through 71 pages again.   Thank you for your help.  This is a wonderful forum.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: October 20, 2014, 01:41:45 am »
Hopefully someone will have the answer for you Elsie, I've not made sourdough buns before.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.