Author Topic: Recipe Review -- Chilli Con Carne -- Everyday Cookbook  (Read 11018 times)

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Recipe Review -- Chilli Con Carne -- Everyday Cookbook
« on: August 09, 2012, 11:42:10 am »
I can't believe there's not already a review for this dish.  Made it tonight.  Lovely taste and so quick.  Of course the big test is do the beans survive?  Yes, they did.  I threw in plenty of Veg Stock Concentrate (a not too salty version) and I could taste the benefit of that.  Simple, fresh good family fare.  5/5 from us.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review -- Chilli Con Carne -- Everyday Cookbook
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 12:23:10 pm »
Using google as a search engine, I found the following additional comments on this recipe.

From Bec8112 posted on the forum on 6th June 2012 in her introduction thread

Chili Con Carne (EDC) (not enough spice - might add more chili next time or different herbs/spices)

From Chelsea on her blog

When making chilli con carne I add 2 heaped tsp of smoked sweet paprika (add with the chilli) and half a cup of chopped coriander leaves (add at the end) for extra flavour. Yum!
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 01:42:09 pm »
I am surprised it hasn't been reviewed as well. It is a family favourite. I usually add a big handful of fresh herbs from the garden, I usually use lamb or beef mince, and stir it really well to make sure there are no lumps. I cook the onion, garlic and chilli for 5 mins, then add the mince for 2 mins and cook for 17 mins at the end, stirring well once through the last 17 mins.

if I cook it for company (they don't have to know how easy it is!) I serve it with corn chips, avo and sour cream.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 02:34:48 pm »
I made this for dinner tonight. Bit disappointed. There was quite few large clumps of meat stuck around the blades. It didn't look like it was moving on soft so I cooked it in speed one. I may try it next time. With shop bought mince.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 12:21:52 pm »
Greyhoundmum, that happened to me until I started stirring it really well a few times during cooking. Even with shop bought mince it can stick under the blades. I also make sure there are no lumps. Simple measures make a differnce to the end product.

Offline TraceTrace

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 12:08:55 am »
I made this as my first dish in my brand new TMX last night for dinner :)

It was very tasty and so simple and passed the all-important DH test ("did that just all cook in the same bowl?") - I did take a lot longer than my consultant when she did my demo but I wanted to make sure I had all the dials and buttons correct - I didn't want to forget to hit reverse, then end up with a meat slushy!

I used shop bought mince and made sure I stirred a couple of times during the cooking process (thanks to the suggestions above) so I had no issues with the meat sticking under the blades. It wasn't spicy enough for our tastes with one whole chilli, seeds and all, so might try adding another chilli or some chilli powder next time. I might also try the paprika suggestion from a previous post or perhaps some Umami Paste (which I am hoping to make during the week!) for extra flavour as I felt it needed a little something extra.

I also found it a teeny bit watery - any suggestions on how to correct this? Should I cook for longer, or add some cornflour? Or just use more mince (I used about 500g)?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 12:12:54 am »
I always add some cornflour/water mix to anything that is too watery TT as a lot of the Thermomix recipes are from books.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Recipe Review -- Chilli Con Carne -- Everyday Cookbook
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 11:28:56 pm »
I made this as part of my cook up last week and have two dinners worth in the freezer. The only problem is that the mince went a little bit too fine for our liking (cook's error)....does anyone have any ideas on what I can do with it? I was thinking maybe use it as a filling for gozleme..... but need more ideas.  We aren't going to enjoy it in its current state but I don't want to waste it either :/
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 11:30:43 pm »
Can you cook some rice Jamberie and mix it through the mince mixture.  Might be a bit like a Chilli Con Carne risotto  ;D

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 11:44:59 pm »
I would probably make pies out of it, if it's little thin just reduce or add a little cornflour. Anything wrapped in pastry immediately tastes better to me  ;D

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 12:22:18 am »
nachos?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline muzzy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 03:48:42 am »
Am wondering could I do this using the rice bowl as suggested for spaghetti?