Author Topic: Lamb sauce for pasta  (Read 20558 times)

Offline Paul

• View Profile
Lamb sauce for pasta
« on: May 29, 2009, 12:15:19 am »
Lamb sauce - another meat recipe!

300g lamb or lamb mince
1 small onion
A few fresh rosemary leaves
Pancetta 75g
100ml white wine
1 tin tomatoes
Olive oil
Salt, pepper, a few chilli flakes

Chop the onion, rosemary and pancetta on 5-6 for 5 seconds, scrape down
Add 1 tbsp oil and cook on 100 for 3 minutes speed 2
Add lamb and pulse (turbo) to mince, or if using mince already just add it
Cook on Varoma for 10 minutes, add wine at 5 minutes, leaving MC off
Add tinned tomatoes, salt, pepper and chilli flakes, and blend briefly on 5-6 to chop tomatoes
Cook for 10-15 minutes on 100  :-:  ^^ until thickened

Serve with penne and some grated pecorino cheese

I've adapted this from a recipe from Marcella Hazan, who has to be the best Italian food writer ever.  She has a scienctific background, and never learned to cook while growing up because of her interest in academia.  She moved to the USA where her husband complained about the bad food, so she taught herself how to cook traditionally by trial and error. (Typical man, he expected her to learn how to cook!).  She has a whole lot of quick, delicious pasta sauces.  This is one of my favourites, and is incredibly easy and fast.  If you see the book "Marcella Cucina" consider buying it, it's fun to read and it's probably my favourite Italian cookbook.

members' comments

brazen - just a note that you should put the basket on the lid when you are doing the final 15 or so minutes of cooking - what a mess!

JD - it has different flavours to normal bolognaise sauce which was nice for a change. Looked at the lamb mince in the shops and that was too fatty for my liking so I bought some 4-1/4 chops and removed the meat to make my own lean mince - time consuming but I am a fat freak and only buy lean cuts. Thanks for the recipe - it has made it to my 'do again' file.

CP - If you know what is good for you, try this recipe!! and get speck or pancetta before bacon. I've only ever made it with lamb mince that I make myself and have only ever used white wine.

CC - I tried this because CP had it on her favorites list otherwise I probably would not have bothered because it didn't look very interesting. Boy was she right, it's delicious. I did make it yesterday for the flavours to develop and served it tonight over spaghetti (didn't have penne). The chilli flakes gives it a nice kick and I did use pancetta. Thanks Paul for the recipe and Cream Puff for bumping the recipe.
Last time I made this I used 500g of Tomato Passata instead of a tin of tomatoes and thought it had a better consistency. I've tried it substituting red wine but it's not so good.

Katiej - we both enjoyed it.  I don't think I've used lamb in pasta sauce before.  It was quick, easy and really tasty.  I served it with fresh pasta (that I bought from the shop). My OH said it deserves a better name though, he said "lamb sauce for pasta" doesn't really do it justice!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:29:31 am by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Lamb sauce for pasta
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 01:10:10 am »

(Typical man, he expected her to learn how to cook!). 

Yeah, & what's wrong with that???  ;) ;) ;) ;D  She should have learned from her nonna when she was 3 or 4!!!!  Mamma mia , whatsa the worlda cominga to ???   ;) ;)  (Mi dispiace a tutti agli italiani !!)

If you see the book "Marcella Cucina" consider buying it, it's fun to read and it's probably my favourite Italian cookbook.

What another book - I have her first three: The Classic Italian Cook Book: The Art of Italian Cooking and the Italian Art of Eating (1973), More Classic Italian Cooking (1978) & Marcella's Italian Kitchen (1986), but they don't have pics - will check it out. Ta
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 01:39:08 am »
i have the essentials of classic italian kitchen though i really wanted to buy marcella's kitchen which is the one we used when living in italy ;)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 10:14:33 am »
just a note that you should put the basket on th elid when you are doing the final 15 or so minutes of cooking - what a mess! lol
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 11:30:41 am »
just a note that you should put the basket on th elid when you are doing the final 15 or so minutes of cooking - what a mess! lol

Yeah sometimes I think they should call it Splattermix.  Tomato is messy

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 05:37:23 am »
Thought I'd try this one for lunch today Paul and it has different flavours to normal bolognaise sauce which was nice for a change. Looked at the lamb mince in the shops and that was too fatty for my liking so I bought some 4-1/4 chops and removed the meat to make my own lean mince - time consuming but I am a fat freak and only buy lean cuts. Thanks for the recipe - it has made it to my 'do again' file.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 06:08:16 am »
Thought I'd try this one for lunch today Paul and it has different flavours to normal bolognaise sauce which was nice for a change. Looked at the lamb mince in the shops and that was too fatty for my liking so I bought some 4-1/4 chops and removed the meat to make my own lean mince - time consuming but I am a fat freak and only buy lean cuts. Thanks for the recipe - it has made it to my 'do again' file.

Thanks Judy, it does make a change from bolognaise, and it's very quick.  I think it's my favourite meat sauce for pasta

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 04:17:26 pm »
If you know what is good for you, try this recipe!! and get speck or pancetta before bacon.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 07:15:42 pm »
I tried this because CP had it on her favorites list otherwise I probably would not have bothered because it didn't look very interesting.Boy was she right, it's delicious ;) I did make it yesterday for the flavours to develop and served it tonight over spaghetti (didn't have penne :-\).The chilli flakes gives it a nice kick and I did use pancetta..Thanks Paul for the recipe and Cream Puff for bumping the recipe :-*
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:34:28 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 02:45:52 am »
Just bumping this . . . anything with Marcella Hazan's name attached to it is a TDF thing!  Thanks for the post and thanks CP for recommending it on the Spag Bol request thread

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 02:50:50 am »
Have you ever made it with beef mince CP?

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 03:48:43 am »
Thanks for bumping this recipe.
I've thought about making it many times, but seem to always forget about it when it comes to menu planning time.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 06:46:41 am »
I've only ever made it with lamb mince that I make myself
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 11:16:16 am »
I made this for dinner tonight and we both enjoyed it.  I don't think I've used lamb in pasta sauce before.  It was quick, easy and really tasty.  I served it with fresh pasta (that I bought from the shop  :o).

My OH said it deserves a better name though, he said "lamb sauce for pasta" doesn't really do it justice!!
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 01:28:06 pm »
OH is becoming quite the foodie Katie - he is right, it could be something more exciting.