Author Topic: Lemon Yoghurt Cake  (Read 35453 times)

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Lemon Yoghurt Cake
« on: May 26, 2009, 10:36:49 am »
I have adapted this from a recipe I found by the wonderful Dorrie Greenspan - I hope she doesn't mind!!

Lemon Yoghurt Cake

1 1/2 cup plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
Whizz together on turbo for 1-4 seconds, put aside.

3/4 cup sugar
zest of one lemon
Whizz together on turbo 5-10 seconds to pulverise the zest and mix with the sugar, then add
1/2 cup plain yoghurt
3 eggs
1/4 tsp vanilla paste
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Mix on speed 6 for 15 seconds, then add dry ingredients and mix on speed 4 for 5-10 seconds.

Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake 160C for 50-55 minutes.

This cake is very moist and beautifully flavoured.  Can be iced or glazed with a lemon syrup.
Orange or lime can be substituted in this recipe.

Members' comments
jessiesgirl - I made this with GF flour, just added an extra teaspoon of baking powder and it was absolutely stunning. GF hubby was so thrilled he finally got to eat cake. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.

JD - no effort to whip it up.  Nice one Amanda.

CP - just put the icing on the cake, and had to have a little try...two slices later - its delicious. A light but moist cake. Will give it a tick so I will make it again.

CC -  I had everything at hand. Agree with Creampuff, it's absolutely delicious. Thanks jessiesgirl about the tip making it gluten free, as very close friend is a Coeliac and I occasionally surprise her with a cake.

cookie1 - It is really lovely.

Marilyn - I made this yesterday and it was very yummy.  When I weighed the ingredients I got:
220 g flour
140 g sugar
120 g yoghurt
100 g oil.  Hmm that seems heavy for the oil, but it's what I've written down.

I used bron's sugar and lemon juice mixture on top.  Lovely.

It also works perfectly if you just chuck all the ingredients in together and give it a couple of bursts on turbo.  Of course, you have to zest the lemon with the lemon zester you used to use before you got your Thermomix and thankfully haven't got around to getting rid of.

This cake has a lovely soft moist texture and like most things in the TMX is very easy to make. Next time I think I will substitute Grapeseed for the EVOO as the flavour came through too much for me but that could also be because my lemon was too small and therefore not enough lemon came through. Must still be ok as half of it has gone.  Wink

VHJ - This cake has a lovely soft moist texture and like most things in the TMX is very easy to make. Next time I think I will substitute Grapeseed for the EVOO as the flavour came through too much for me but that could also be because my lemon was too small and therefore not enough lemon came through. Must still be ok as half of it has gone.

Rubyslippers - I made this into cupcakes with the EDC lemon butter as the icing YUM.

Chookie - I wanted something fairly plain and simple. This is it. It also didn't make tooooooo large a cake. Moist cake with mild lemon flavor.  Thanks Amanda. ( Didn't even get a chance to add icing).

Zan - Yum!!!  A really yummy moist light cake.

Denzelmum - Love this loaf!  I made with sunflower seed oil.  Will be regular in our house.  Thanks for sharing, Amanda.

pumpkin pie - Love this cake, as does hubby,  (he doesn't cut slices he cuts door steps) VHJ, I think it was because your lemon was not big enough.  I have made this cake 3 times over the last 1 1/2 weeks with no taste of evoo. What I do, is juice the lemon and put this in the oil measuring cup and then fill it up with the evoo to the required level. This tends to cut down a bit on the oil and adds the extra lemon flavour, and you don't end up with lots of lemons minus their skins, and I still end up with a fantastic, moist cake.   

Millipede - This was a nice moist cake and was enjoyed by all. Next time I think I  might take up the suggestions of previous posters and use grape seed oil instead of olive oil and replace some of the oil with juice from the lemon. I love reealy lemony cakes. Oh and when the cake first came out of the oven I drizzled over it a syrup of lemon and sugar and then wrapped the cake (still in its tin) in alfoil for 5-10 minutes.

Kulsha - I made this tonight as a smallish loaf, tasted beautiful and was a nice soft cake. I used rice bran oil instead of evoo and topped up the lemon juice with oil as suggested, it ended up being only quarter cup of oil in the cake but still really moist due to the yoghurt. It had a few air bubbles in it, so ill tap down the cake tin next time, so that's no big deal and other than that - perfection! Thanks.

Hally - I made this on the weekend. To be honest we all found it rather bland. It is in the freezer ready to be turned into a trifle for the boys this weekend. Any ideas why so bland?

kulsha - Not enough lemon? That's a shame, this is one of my favourite cakes at the moment, tangy yet fresh and soft.

Hally - Ok, will give it a go with more lemon. I just used the zest & not the juice, so should I add the juice.

Kulsha - Oh yes, that would be it. I used 1/4 cup juice (as that is all that came out of my small lemon) and 1/4 cup oil to top it up to the 1/2 cup total - and it was just right ! 

Mavvie - I made 2 today and it turned out well. Tho still not lemony enough for my liking.
My initial attempt was using spelt flour, rapadura sugar and where's milk yogurt. The colour of the cake was not a bright yellow and it was not as moist. The sheep yogurt had a heavier taste too. Just wondering if anyone had any luck with sheep or cow's milk yogurt as I can't have too much cow's dairy. All in all a very simple and delicious cake!

gf - This has got to be on the list for the most forgiving recipes . . .  made this the other day  and I didn't read the recipe properly.  Everything got dumped into the bowl all at once and away we went!!  Worked really well!! (Looking back over the thread I see this has happened to others for various reasons!)   A lovely cake - and the addition of lemon syrup over and through it was "the icing on the cake!" Will make this many times, methinks!!

Mashley -  I used canola oil instead EVOO because I didn't want to taste the oil in the finished product. I didn't zest the lemon to go in the cake, rather, I cut a thin skinned lemon in half, removed the seeds and turbo'd the whole thing. The yogurt I used was full cream Greek. This cake was great. When it was still warm, but before turning it out, I skewered it all over and poured lemon syrup over it. Delicious. I served it with a dollop of Greek yogurt on the side.

Lemon Syrup
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar.

Grind sugar until fine. Add lemon juice. 2 mins, 100 deg/speed 2.
Pour evenly over cake and let stand and soak in until cold.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:16:44 pm by judydawn »
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Lemon Yoghurt Cake
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 11:03:11 am »
yummo
i adore cakes with yoghurt in them!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 11:40:17 am »
Yum!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 12:52:03 am »
Ditto - good work.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline jessiesgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 10:53:31 pm »
I made this last night with GF flour, just added an extra teaspoon of baking powder and it was absolutely stunning. GF hubby was so thrilled he finally got to eat cake.

Thanks for the wonderful recipe.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:32:45 am »
Thanks for bumping this one Jessiesgirl.  I had a bit of yoghurt which would have ended up in the bin if I hadn't been reminded of this one and as I was going to be using the oven anyway it was no effort to whip it up.  Nice one Amanda.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 08:15:25 am »
just put the icing on the cake, and had to have a little try...two slices later - its delicous. a light, but moist cake. will give it a tick so i will make it again.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 09:04:58 am »
This does sound nice. I must have missed it before.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline rubyslippers

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 10:59:26 am »
Another one to add to my list of things to try!   :)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 08:39:02 pm »
I thought I would give this a go today as I had everthing at hand.Agree with Creampuff it's absolutely delicious.You'll love it Cookie as I know you love lemony thing's ;) Thanks jessiesgirl about the tip making it gluten free, as very close friend is a Coeliac and I occasionally surprise her with a cake.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 08:48:19 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 08:39:01 am »
I have this in the oven at the moment.

It is really lovely. I will try and post a photo soon. (If there is any left)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:51:44 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 03:23:47 pm »
I made this yesterday and it was very yummy.  When I weighed the ingredients I got:
220g flour
140g sugar
120g yoghurt
100g oil.  Hmm that seems heavy for the oil, but it's what I've written down.

I used bron's sugar and lemon juice mixture on top.  Lovely.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 10:19:03 am »
Thanks Marilyn   :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 03:16:01 pm »
And by the way, if you get distracted by a two-year-old "helping" you when you don't have kids of your own and are therefore not as good at multi-tasking as you could be, it also works perfectly if you just chuck all the ingredients in together and give it a couple of bursts on turbo.  Of course, you have to zest the lemon with the lemon zester you used to use before you got your Thermomix and thankfully haven't got around to getting rid of.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 04:43:21 am »
LOL - love "bung it all in" recipes even without distractions.  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia