Author Topic: Crunchie Ice Cream Slice  (Read 17900 times)

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
Crunchie Ice Cream Slice
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:51:52 am »
Crunchie Ice Cream Slice --page 151 in EDC

i just had a bit of a look about and cant seem to find any opinions on this recipe ... so i thought i would add it and see if anybody has anything to share about this. On reading this recipe i am a bit worried that the top bickie will not sit ... and i am happy to be wrong ... but on my first attempt i am going to change it a little as you will see in the tips and hints below. .....so wish me luck and i will post some pics in the next couple of days =).

INGREDENTS:
2 Crunchie Bars (or peppermint crisp bars)
100g of sugar
30 of Cocoa (or coffee)
1 egg
600grams of whipping cream (can sub with condensed milk)
2 packets of Malt busicut.

Preparation:
chop bars in TM,  20 - 30 sec on sp5--- set aside
place cocoa, sugar, egg in TM, 20 sec on sp10
add butterfly bit, add cream , 60 sec on sp4
line rect tray with baking paper
layer malt bickie in tray,
***cover with cream mix, sprinkle with crunchie add another layer of bickies
running them the same way to make a giant sandwich, freeze till set.

Photos:
will add when i have made it

Tips/Hints:

i am going to change this at the *** i am going to cover with 1/2 the cream .... sprinkle the crunch ... the spread the rest of the cream... then add another layer over the top ... and see how i go.

as long as you keep eating my pancakes .....i will stand here and keep flippin them out filled with nothing but love in my heart 'cause you chose my table to sit at =)P

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
Re: Crunchie Ice Cream Slice
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 12:53:29 am »
tweaking ----- 60 seconds is too long and my first batch curdled  :-[  so i did it again and did 40 sec at this step.

Well it turned out great ... and over night in the freezer makes the bickies slightly softer (but there was definitely testing in a couple of hours when it was set) and these were good for a couple of days ....i will need to get pics again .... i had a child clear my card before i uploaded ... and this was realised days after  :-))

my tip is to find the right dish first by sussing out how the bickies fit on the base cause the ice cream is a bit runny before it is set and you will get it running out at the ends and you need to lay the bickies in the say direction over the top for easy cutting.

definitely will do the crunch in the middle all the time was awesome ...... this is certainly a dinner party favourite for sure. and might add something to the top just to pretty up the serving .... then i will take pics =)P
as long as you keep eating my pancakes .....i will stand here and keep flippin them out filled with nothing but love in my heart 'cause you chose my table to sit at =)P

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 01:27:25 am »
Now that you mention it phatassphairy, I made this a while ago and forgot :-))

I remember it being very yummy, but the top biscuits didn't stick properly and we just ended up eating them off the top. The icecream was also a bit harder than I am used to, even after letting it sit for a while. It was either like rock or very melty. I didn't achieve that creamy icecream texture. But it was absolutely delicious and definitely a winner :)

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 04:42:55 am »
yeah amy that is what i figured that it wouldn't stick to the bickies like an ice cream sandwhich should so that is why i popped the crunchie in the middle .... mine turned out nice and creamy .... ;D ;D ;D well the second batch.

next time i will go for 2 of the bigger crunchies to give a little bit more of a stronger honey comb flavour ..... i wonder how a violet crumble would go? ...maybe try this too next time.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 06:17:24 am »
next time i will go for 2 of the bigger crunchies to give a little bit more of a stronger honey comb flavour ..... i wonder how a violet crumble would go? ...maybe try this too next time.

More crunchie sounds like a good idea ;D ;D I always found violet crumble bars to be very similar to crunchies anyway? They're pretty much the same thing I guess.
I think this would be nice with cookies'n'cream KitKats ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 07:51:29 am »
Thanks for the review/s. I've never made this, will have to try when summer comes along.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 07:52:59 am »
As long as you're not doing the weight loss challenge Cookie ;D ;D ;D

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 01:30:12 pm »
yes um not for the dieter that is for sure ... but it is a nice little serve it you have JUST one ...... and your suggestion about the cookies and cream got me thinking .... and i am actually just getting "phatter" just thinking about this ..... imagine ferrero Roche (esp when they are reduced after easter and mothers day) smashed into the middle ..... OH STOP IT!!!! :P :P :P

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 10:34:51 pm »
Sorry PAP, I won't say anything else ;) ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 05:34:36 am »
Everything in moderation Amy. Like you I lost lots of kg. now I only want to get back to what I was then. I am still over weight but am more than happy and so is my dear doctor. I just love food too much. I'm keeping a little in reserve so that if I get really ill I won't be stick thin. :)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 05:39:25 am »
I have always made this version:
http://www.taste.com.au/kitchen/recipes/ice+cream+slice,6562

It is delicious :D

eta that I don't crush the biscuits but layer on the base and top.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 05:44:14 am by knittercook »
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 03:12:38 am »
Sorry PAP, I won't say anything else ;) ;D

Thanks maaaaaaaaaaaaaate!!!

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 10:57:14 pm »
I made this last night for guests, it was delicious and easy. Thanks for the tips phatassphairy re the layering, I had no trouble with the malt biscuits sticking on top using your suggestions. I used violet crumble and it was yummy.

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 06:44:09 am »
no worries at all ....glad they liked it .... and i reckon it is such a good portion size too

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 10:45:50 am »
bumping this recipe as apparently it is in the latest EDC. Anyone tried it?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand