Author Topic: Recipe review Stewed Ribs with Spring Onions  (Read 7161 times)

Offline bobbreck

• View Profile
Recipe review Stewed Ribs with Spring Onions
« on: July 10, 2012, 01:53:21 am »
I decided to try this recipe from the "The best of our Recipe Communities" book.  The recipe is on page 92 of that book. The only alteration I made to the recipe was to substitute a brown onion for some of the green onions.  The rest of the recipe was as printed.  The ribs were yummy and although the recipe said it was 3 portions I have to admit that I ate the lot :) :) :)

Oh and oops, forgot to mention...I threw in a handful of frozen peas during the last ten minutes of cooking.
A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe review Stewed Ribs with Spring Onions
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 02:07:16 am »
Thanks for the review bobbreck, the picture in the books looks really nice.  Am I right in thinking this recipe uses the American type spare ribs ie the one with bone and a bit of meat?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline bobbreck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 02:17:56 am »
Yep JD I bought the ribs from Coles and they were the same type as the American.  The TMX did have some problems with the bones and I had to push up the speed occasionally to 1.  I might try this again with pork pieces instead of ribs.  The sauce is fantastic and finger licking good (excuse the pun).

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 02:22:15 am »
Well done, sounds like you cooked a great first dish :)

Halex :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 02:24:46 am »
I rarely use  ^^ bobbreck so I would have done the same as you did.  Let us know if you try the meaty spareribs - it will be interesting to learn if they are cooked enough in that same amount of time as in the oven they take an hour and I parboil them for 20 minutes first.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:32:13 am »
I just looked more closely at that recipe bobbreck and saw the quantity of the spring onions - 1000g :o :o  That's a lot of spring onions, goodness knows how many bunches that would be.  You used some spring onions and a brown onion, how much did your spring onions weigh?

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 05:18:18 am »
Sounds like a misprint JD.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 06:30:36 am »
So who can we get to confirm it is a mistake I wonder.  I just checked the book and no-where does it give an email address for any questions we may have about recipes.

Offline bobbreck

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 09:12:59 am »
Yep I thought 1000 green onions sounded rather much. Would have emptied the vege bin at the store  :) I used one brown onion and about 300g of green onions.  Put half and half at each of the cooking times.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 09:28:17 am »
So who can we get to confirm it is a mistake I wonder.  I just checked the book and no-where does it give an email address for any questions we may have about recipes.

Dreamer!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 10:10:01 am »
Finally got around to making this recipe. I bought 1.2kg of American style ribs from Costco when I went there with Katie back in June so whilst I was browsing The Best of our Recipe Communities for the current challenge this one became a no-brainer when I made an Asian style salad and wanted something to go with it.  I made the full recipe which uses 600 g of ribs.

I'm always a bit worried putting meat with bones in the TMX and don't venture away too far in case one gets caught under the blades and the machine stops.  This didn't happen and there were probably equal quantities of pieces with bone as those without any. 

1000g of spring onions - this was the first thing that jumped out at me when I read the recipe so I weighed a bunch of spring onions in Foodland to determine the weight and subsequently the cost.  You'd need 7 bunches worth around $9 where I shop and there's no way I would spend that amount of money for 1 dish.  I had plenty in the garden but I decided to go with 10 spring onions only and that was plenty.

Once the ribs were added to the bowl I used speed 1/reverse - my machine wouldn't move on soft speed.  The 40 minute cooking time was perfect and the sauce was delicious.  It was rather thick so after I removed the ribs, I added a little bit of water and whizzed it up to a thinner sauce.
Delicious.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 02:03:54 pm »
Wow Judy the ribs look delicious 8)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 02:13:07 pm »
Thanks Denise, they were.