Author Topic: Chocolate Raspberry Brownies (GF)  (Read 13029 times)

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
Chocolate Raspberry Brownies (GF)
« on: July 10, 2012, 01:01:14 am »
Please don't be off put by the chickpeas in this recipe. I have made these many times and have asked everyone who has eaten them if they can guess the secret ingredient - so far none has guessed correctly. Feel free to cook the chickpeas from scratch, or substitute cannellini beans for the chick peas. You could also substitute the raspberries with a cup of chocolate chips or walnuts or frozen cherries.
These are very moist and I suggest you store them in the fridge

Ingredients:
1 x 400g tin Chickpeas
1/2 cup Buttermilk 115g 
1 teaspoon Bi-carb Soda
3 extra large Eggs
1 cup Sugar 220g
2/3 cup Dutch Cocoa 75g
100g Frozen Raspberries
Extra Icing Sugar, for dusting

Method:
1.Preheat oven to 180C (160C Fan forced), and line a 19cm square tin with non-stick baking paper.
2.Drain and wash chickpeas. Remove any loose skins.
3.Add bi-carb soda to buttermilk.
4.Place chickpeas and buttermilk into bowl, and process speed 7 for 10 seconds, or until smooth.
5.Add eggs and process speed 4 for 30 seconds, or until combined.
6.Add cocoa and sugar to bowl and process at speed 4 for 5 seconds, until just combined.
7.Pour half the batter into the prepared tin, and sprinkle the still frozen raspberries over the mixture. Pour the remaining mixture into the tin.
8.Place in oven and cook for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
9.Allow to cool completely, refrigerate and cut into squares. Dust with icing sugar and serve.

Members' comments

Uni - thanks for posting this delicious recipe ES. You could use a buttermilk substitute: to 1 cup of milk add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar.

Bec8112 - Does anyone know the weights for the ingredients list? Since having my tmx my measuring cups have made their way to the kids sandpit. I did a 'rough' guess and seemed to be ok. I used a mix of Rapadura/Coconut Sugar and Cacao powder. Came out very dark brown but yummy.

CC - I really need to use my glasses more. I reached into my cupboard and instead of a tin of chickpeas I brought out butter beans and had the lid off before I realized what I had done so I just used them in the recipe instead of the chickpeas, it worked a treat. DS  and I liked them, very moist and moreish but DH doesn't like the raspberries.
Did take note of the weight of ingredients for anyone interested. These have now been added to the recipe.

GF - I have to agree - this is delicious!!

JuliaC83 - a big hit and was consumed quickly. I substituted the buttermilk for homemade Kefir milk, and I used 3/4 cup Rapadura sugar instead. Delicious!!

kyton - replaced the fruit with choc and caramel bits. Kids all thought it was normal brownies - so a definite win here.

Amy - I replaced the raspberries with chopped up Easter eggs. They certainly are moist and fudgy! Delicious.

deedub - just had a taste and they are yum! Took these away with us at Easter, spent the weekend with 3 coeliacs (including 2 kids), 1 fructose intolerant mum and a bunch of others who eat anything! I was so pleased to be able to bake something that everyone could eat and they all loved them. My friend who is coeliac (as are 2 of her 3 kids) has asked for the recipe. She was very excited about the chickpeas, so much healthier for the kids!

Denzelmum - This is amazing! Light, moist and healthy.  Everyone impressed with this.

Bedlam - ES, thank you for this recipe. It is yum. Love the raspberries with the rich choc.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 03:01:04 am by judydawn »
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: Chocolate Raspberry Brownies (GF)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 01:06:05 am »
thanks for posting this delicious recipe ES

i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 04:47:23 am »
Do you think this could be frozen before being cut?

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 11:24:55 am »
I have to say that I haven't tried freezing this before, but it's worth a try.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Bec8112

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 11:15:12 pm »
Does anyone know the weights for the ingredients list? Since having my tmx my measuring cups have made their way to the kids sandpit  ;)

I did a 'rough' guess and seemed to be ok. I used a mix of Rapadura/Coconut Sugar and Cacao powder. Came out very dark brown but yummy :)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 07:19:42 pm »
I really need to use my glasses more  :-)) Today I reached into my cupboard and instead of a tin of chickpeas I brought out butter beans and had the lid off before I realized what I had done. :P So I just used them in the recipe instead of the chickpeas ,worked a treat ;)
DS and I liked them,very moist and moreish but DH doesn't like the raspberries :-))
Did take note of the weight of ingredients for anyone interested.
Buttermilk 115g
Sugar 220g
Cocoa 75g
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 09:23:29 pm »
I have to agree - this is delicious!!  Made it for the first time just recently but it'll be made again soon! Thanks, ES  it's a real winner.

CC - thanks for those measurements :D

Offline JuliaC83

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 04:52:27 am »
Made this for playgroup morning tea - was a big hit and was consumed quickly (particularly by the mums :D).
I substituted the buttermilk for homemade Kefir milk, and I used 3/4 cup Rapadura sugar instead.
Delicious!!
Happily married since 27/03/2004
DS1 2007 Neuroblastoma survivor, Autism, ADHD
DS2 2009
Student Midwife - will graduate at the end of 2014

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 06:43:15 am »
I some how missed this, thanks, another delicious thing to make.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline kyton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 10:52:37 am »

Made these today replacing the fruit with choc and caramel bits. Kids all thought it was normal brownies - so a definite win here.
Kylie

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 12:29:51 pm »
All these photos are great, I really must make these ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 03:04:20 am »
Finally made these yesterday :D I replaced the raspberries with chopped up Easter eggs :) They certainly are moist and fudgy! Delicious ;D

Offline kyton

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 04:44:51 am »
They are good aren't they Amy? They look nice with the extra chocolate.
Kylie

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 05:25:42 am »
Oooh do I have time to make these tonight I wonder? One of the families we're going away with have 3 coeliacs, they'd love these! Think I might have some buttermilk in the freezer - did you use buttermilk Amy, or something else in case I don't have any on hand?
Melbourne, inner north

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 08:43:14 am »
Yes, I did use buttermilk deedub :) It's not something I usually have in the fridge so I thought I would make these while I had some! ;)

Kylie, thanks, they are very good ;D