Author Topic: Lemon/lime butter (EDC Jul 2010 p147)  (Read 9995 times)

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
Lemon/lime butter (EDC Jul 2010 p147)
« on: June 28, 2012, 02:15:19 am »
If I'm posting this in the wrong place sorry but I couldn't find any reference to this recipe anywhere ???

The neighbours have been giving me bags of lemons and I have been making quite a lot of this for family, friends and the neighbours! Everone loves it! I took a jar of this with a plate of EDC pikelets to a craft morning (6 crafters) and all the pikelets went and most of the jar of lemon butter :o.    

Love this recipe as it tastes divine, makes 1 good sized jar (the French jam one in the supermaket with the red and white check lid) and there are no leftover bits of lemon or egg whites to deal with. I don't even bother sterlising the jars, just put a useby date in five days time and keep refrigerated of course.

My tweaks are that I add the zest of the lemon, in long shreds, in with all the other ingredients, and also cook for an extra minute, ie 9 minutes (although this probably varies with the lemons-the lemons I'm using are big and juicy). When cooked, take the butterfly out carefully and most of the zest will be on the butterfly, leaving just the tangy taste in the butter. YUM. Definitely 5/5

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 02:24:35 am by djinni373 »
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline deedub

• View Profile
Re: Lemon/lime butter (EDC Jul 2010 p147)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 02:20:02 am »
Good timing djinni, I've just been doing a search for lemon recipes, thanks! Which reminds me.... obbie if you're reading this, is the lemon coconut cake you mentioned in another thread from here?
Melbourne, inner north

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 05:53:09 am »
DeeDub, I am here....
Yes its in the cake section.
I will try and find it... ;D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:48:33 pm »
I made this and wasn't really too sure about it. I don't think it was lemony enough for me. I think adding the zest like djinny did was a good idea and if I made it again I'd do the same. Just not too sure I'd bother making it again. I'm now trying to figure out what to do with it. Thinking of folding it in to a crepe batter rather than wasting it but I certainly wouldn't uses it in a recipe which depended on the lemon butter to make it nice. I'll make Teninas next I think.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 01:25:33 pm »
Try Chookies Queen of Puddings Brumington, it will go well in there and you use a fair bit.  This pudding is just as nice eaten cold.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 01:28:15 pm »
You could fold some through cream cheese icing for decorating a cake Brumington :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 01:36:57 pm »
Great ideas. Thank you. I am a shocker for not wanting things to go to waste!

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 10:51:09 am »
All remedied with the addition of some citric acid!   ;D

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 02:24:49 pm »
I added a slosh of my home made vanilla essence in the last batch of lime butter and it is pretty darned good if I do say so myself! Vanilla lime butter on hot toast.
Yum!

Offline thermodynamic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 08:33:36 am »
Yum!  Velvetty and tangy and sweet.  I added double the lemon juice, since I have soooo many on my tree and I added an extra egg yolk as well.  I ate the first batch straight out of the jar with a spoon over the course of 5 days.  I need to watch out or I will turn into a Bimby balloon!

Mary

[Pray, hope and don't worry.     Padre Pio]

Offline lozzylooloo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 12:23:49 pm »
Made from EDC recipe with one extra egg and juice if extra half of a lemon. Oh, and about 40g too much sugar cos a big chunk fell in while I was tipping - oops!!

I cooked mine for about two extra minutes as the recipe suggested, and I love it!!

I can envision mine all going down on a spoon too!