Author Topic: Recipe Review - Pea and Ham Soup - EDC  (Read 6664 times)

Offline peppersmum

• View Profile
Recipe Review - Pea and Ham Soup - EDC
« on: June 21, 2012, 03:05:42 am »
I looked for a review of this before I cooked it as I know the EDC is very hit and miss with recipes (I've had some great ones and some major fails) but I couldn't find one in the EDC Review thread so went ahead and made it after having some lovely Pea and Ham Soup at my friend's house the other day (her own recipe, not thermomix).

Anyway I have to be honest, the recipe is HORRIBLE ... no one would touch it in my family even my soup crazy 3 year old who loves heaps of different soups.  I have no idea if you could even tweak it, wouldn't know where to start.  I did see some other recipes for Pea and Ham soup in the soup section, so might have to try some of those or see if I can adapt my friend's recipe for the thermy :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review - Pea and Ham Soup - EDC
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 03:43:27 am »
That's a bummer peppersmum.  I just went looking for reviews of the EDC recipe as I thought someone surely must have posted something somewhere.  I found some in this thread where Thermomixer posted his recipe - when I get time I will transfer them to the review section of that cookbook. You are obviously not alone in your thoughts about the EDC recipe - try some of our recipes for soup, we have heaps of them on offer and you can see at a glance if they have enough reviews to tempt you to make them.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 04:02:44 am »
Recipe reviews found relating to this soup

From Catherine
Re: Split Pea and ham Soup
June 29, 2010     
Thanks Thermomixer - I must try this - I made the pea and ham soup out of the everyday cook book today and it wasn't good - pretty sure I followed the recipe but it tasted 'funny' - so I threw it out - first time thats happened with the everyday cookbook.  Anyone else had problems with that recipe?  Or is it just me?

Thermomixer's reply

June 30, 2010

I wasn't impressed with the EDC recipe. 

Followed by Renlor's reply
November 23, 2010     

Hi Guys,

I made the recipe out of the EDC and found that it tasted chalky/uncooked.  I like the idea of the peas being whizzed dry and cooked up, but I really think that they do need to be soaked overnight first.  I have bought some ham pieces and hope to do up another batch this week....hopefully it turns out

Cheers,

Renae.

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 12:41:40 pm »
I made this over the weekend and really liked it. I have had some dubious results from EDC book but found this to be easy, tasty and filling. Even my DD4 & DS2 ate it & they are not big soup eaters. I used bacon. It wasn't like a typical pea & ham soup but it was still nice &  I will definitely be making this again.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 01:14:29 pm »
the pea and ham soup is one of my fav soups but I also use bacon and always grill or sauté it first before adding it, I find if you just add it to TMX you get that raw bacon taste. I love the milled split peas.

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 01:32:48 pm »
Good idea GHM, I will try sautéing the bacon first next time.

Mama Fergie

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 02:31:03 pm »
I made this today and agree with peppersmum it was not nice at all.  Had my mum here for lunch so it was very disappointing.  I have made lots of different soups since I have had my TMX and this is the first one that we haven't enjoyed. In fact we couldn't eat it and it went straight into the bin.I sautéd the bacon as I normally do so that wasn't the problem. No lunch for DH to take to work tomorrow  :(.   

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 09:47:28 pm »
I make a Dutch pea and ham soup, it is very flavorsome and thick and needs to be made in a big boiler as it has bacon hocks and speck and those alone wouldn't fit in TMX.  There are some things best made the old fashioned way and P&H soup is one of those  ;)
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com