Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6094768 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #13965 on: April 19, 2014, 10:49:57 pm »
Good combo C P.  Look like lots of fun and trouble ! ;D

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #13966 on: April 19, 2014, 10:59:06 pm »
Cookie, have always only initialled cheques  ???

Judy, hope Geoff is more settled next time.  Glad you had some time with GC

CP, how adorable.  Love the names too.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #13967 on: April 19, 2014, 11:50:54 pm »
Cute puppies CC, cute names as well :)

The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13968 on: April 20, 2014, 12:37:01 am »
Cute little puppies - never heard of Jackroodles CP but you can see the Jack Russell gene in them.  2 sound like double the trouble but at least they have each other for company when you aren't around.  Happy days CP.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13969 on: April 20, 2014, 12:47:16 am »
Judy, it was so good you had that time with your DD and her family. You need that!  I know, too though, it's so hard when you're also a very important part of someone's daily expectations.  Part of the advice given by the nursing homes my mother and my aunt were in was to not visit too often during the week :-)) ??? ??? so that the resident in question didn't come to expect to see you all the time and you wouldn't feel under constant pressure to make it in every day.  That theory probably looks good on paper and maybe they're right . .  there was I felt a big "however" . .  and there would be the occasional time when it would be twice a day- even if it meant just 15 or so minutes before work and then a longer visit in the afternoon/evening.  I was just lucky to have everything in place geographically speaking so it didn't take long to get from place to another . . .   Geoff may have really missed you this time, but may cope a whole lot better another time.  The situation seems to change from day to day - if not more frequently!  Thinking of you and hope things are as peaceful and as smooth as they can be.. .  :D

CP - those pups are gorgeous! Really like the idea of the chicken/sweet potato dinners.  Can't believe your DD will be back in Perth at the end of this year.  Just seems like yesterday she was heading for Sydney!  

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13970 on: April 20, 2014, 01:31:24 am »
Thanks GF, they are probably right but it's hard to not go in every day. In the early days it's probably a wise thing to let them settle into their new routine but I didn't even do that because Geoff was so ill when he went there and we didn't expect him to last the first week.  He will have been there for 12 months on the 26th of this month and I haven't missed too many days.  Because he is a pleasure to visit (and not a grumpy bum), it's no trouble for me to do so.  He gets nursing staff to position him so that he can see the TV and the front door and by the time I open the door he already has a smile on his face and is giving me a wave the minute I step in.  I could skip a day here and there during the week but weekends it would be hard to not visit when all his favourite staff members have the weekend off.

You very rarely see children in the home but there was a beautiful reaction from one of the residents when I took the grandkids in on Thursday before we headed down to Middleton.  He has gone downhill badly and is now confined to a princess chair like Geoff but when Amber went up to him, his face broke out into a smile and he slowly put his hand up to touch her on the head.  I haven't seen such a reaction from him since he came back from hospital recently in this condition.  He is so different that Geoff doesn't even remember that this chap used to annoy him immensely when he was able to walk around the facility.  I even found them both in the back lounge room one day, just the 2 of them and it appeared as if Geoff was his carer.  They'd given him the buzzer if he needed help and when I said hello to both of them, Geoff wanted to know how I new this chap's name.  I dare not remind him how he used to annoy him and everyone else. It bought tears to my eyes watching how he now cared for this person and was looking out for him, a far cry from the days when all he wanted to do was hit him :-)).

You are right, this may be a one-off reaction to me not being there - it really was only 1 day as I was back there mid afternoon on Saturday.  The 6 days away in October will be interesting.  I'm going to email one of the staff members though and she can pass it onto Geoff to read - that may help.

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
« Reply #13971 on: April 20, 2014, 02:12:22 am »
Oh Judy I really admire you for your loving care of Geoff.
I hope he is settled well enough for you to enjoy your trip away in October.
I have learned an enormous amount from you.
You are in a situation any one of us could be faced with and you manage it with such dignity.
You are a real hero.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13972 on: April 20, 2014, 03:12:50 am »
Judy I was gobsmacked when you said Geoff had been there 12 months. Time does fly . You all made the right decision at the time as you can now see. Wonderful that Geoff takes an interest in other people. Shame there are not more children taken to see the oldies  or even the young ones like Geoff.

You have done a marvellous job looking after everyone including your mum and it is great you have "me" time and a busy social life at times.

We will take some photos of us all in October to send to Geoff. I am sure one of the staff will have an iPad so we can send to their address and they can show Geoff.  Work on that! Maybe a VDO too.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13973 on: April 20, 2014, 03:19:21 am »
Thanks girls, most of us would do exactly the same given the circumstances.  A great idea Gert, thanks for that suggestion - pictures speak far more loudly than words.   :-* :-*

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13974 on: April 20, 2014, 03:25:59 am »
Judy I feel that Geoff missing you ( however hard it is for you) is a sign that he is well and settled. I have walked out of nursing homes many times in tears, it can be so very hard. It becomes part of your life to drop in each day and I always found it easy to do. However you definitely need me time. Perhaps you could creat a little photograph book for Geoff. Eg this time you could have put a photo of the children, Jo and her DH and maybe yourself. If you had one, a photo of the place you were going to.
You are doing a fantastic job.

CP you have a couple of cuties there. Fun times ahead.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #13975 on: April 20, 2014, 04:03:18 am »
You are amazing, Judy. Such strength and grace...a woman of substance.

Love the photo and video ideas, Gert and Cookie 😃

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13976 on: April 20, 2014, 04:30:43 am »
Judy time goes so fast. 1 year already.

Take some photos for Geoff
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #13977 on: April 20, 2014, 12:03:43 pm »
Love you puppies CP. They are cuties.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #13978 on: April 20, 2014, 05:09:02 pm »
Oh Judy I really admire you for your loving care of Geoff.
I hope he is settled well enough for you to enjoy your trip away in October.
I have learned an enormous amount from you.
You are in a situation any one of us could be faced with and you manage it with such dignity.
You are a real hero.

Agree wholeheartedly.
You are a great example to us all.
Happy Easter to all
Xx

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13979 on: April 21, 2014, 12:23:03 am »
Thanks for your lovely words girls - forum support has been a great help.  :-* :-*