Author Topic: Anything goes for Uni  (Read 7909511 times)

Offline Emme

• View Profile
Re: Anything goes for Uni
« Reply #21600 on: April 25, 2014, 01:19:33 am »
Okay, I will own up to 5 of those Gert.   :D ;D
But Gert, they are all different!
I may laugh but have the same mentality.  A stocked pantry makes me feel secure.  Silly and unnecessary.  You are a good influence and i am attempting to reduce.
Completely understand Bedlam

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #21601 on: April 25, 2014, 01:20:16 am »
2 or 3 sounds good.

I love the feeling of a full pantry and freezers.. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #21602 on: April 25, 2014, 01:32:06 am »
Good morning/evening everyone :)
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline pennyp

• View Profile
« Reply #21603 on: April 25, 2014, 01:32:06 am »
I love to have my pantry well stocked too, my mum taught me to have 2 of the basic things so that when I used one up there was still another one left so that I wouldn't run out and then it goes on the shopping list.
Penny
Gold Coast, Australia

Offline consumerate

• View Profile
« Reply #21604 on: April 25, 2014, 02:02:08 am »
I wish I had a bag of pretzels then I could eat a lot of mustard at once by dipping my pretzels.

You could make pretzels!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-soft-pretzels-recipe.html
Have done this recipe a few times and had success.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21605 on: April 25, 2014, 02:18:05 am »
Yup I could. I have done it before. From my wonderful cookbook.

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=11757.30

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #21606 on: April 25, 2014, 02:19:16 am »
Maybe I will as they look so good .

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #21607 on: April 25, 2014, 03:16:33 am »
Consumerate that was a blooming good idea.

I have the dough rising now and listen to this........

I used up 2 tsp of the Molasses I bought some years ago and has a best by date of 10/2012 and lives in the back of the fridge with his other old mates of this and that.

Then used 1/2 cup of Atta Flour with a Best By date of 06/2012

Best of all I can use up what is left of a tiny container of baking soda and then finally open the new box with a best before date of 04/2013.

You are a champion Consumerate. Amazing how you helped me with eating down my pantry and fridge.

Now which of 11 mustards will I choose??   I am thinking the only thing to do is open my new jar of German hot mustard as that would be perfect with big old soft pretzels. Too easy.

Gert

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #21608 on: April 25, 2014, 06:20:40 am »
I love to have my pantry well stocked too, my mum taught me to have 2 of the basic things so that when I used one up there was still another one left so that I wouldn't run out and then it goes on the shopping list.
My mum was the same Penny, we lived in the country, the nearest shop miles away so the pantry was always well stocked.  :)

Gert, I thought I was the only one that used out of date stuff  :D ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21609 on: April 25, 2014, 06:29:43 am »
Mum had an enormous walk in farmer's pantry. She used to send an order to Perth and then arrange to pick it up when we came down. It was several hundreds of dollars and that was in the late 50's. the shops in our local town had fruit and veggies, and we had a bakery but the supply of other goods was pretty bad.

Gert, DH went out and bought a ham yesterday for our visitors for lunch. We used some of the Dijon mustard.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #21610 on: April 25, 2014, 06:35:29 am »
Good one cookie.

Pretzels from my Secrets of a Jewish Baker Cookbook. Thank you Consumerate for reminding me.

Gert

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #21611 on: April 25, 2014, 06:38:16 am »
Yum Gert! I'm a big fan of honey mustard. Particularly on corned meat.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #21612 on: April 25, 2014, 06:53:18 am »
My mum was the same Penny, we lived in the country, the nearest shop miles away so the pantry was always well stocked.  :)

Gert, I thought I was the only one that used out of date stuff  :D ;D

WARNING SOAP BOX MOMENT!

Emme all those  people who worry about use by dates I wonder if when they decant stuff into other containers such as Tupperware then make sure they mark the container with that date? When you buy cheese in a deli that is cut from a wheel do you know the use by date and do they?

The cream I used the other day was purchased in Feb with a use by date of Feb 10. I did not use it by that date but put it in the freezer. So how long is the use by or best by date extended. The whole thing is so ridiculous  and such a terrible waste. I have a friend who works in Woolies and she says her heart breaks when so much good food is just tossed. She is struggling and even she is not allowed to buy it or take it.

Good grief I will probably die if I eat my pretzels boiled in water with baking soda that is 2 years out of date.

If you want a good runny double Brie you had better not even look at it until it is 3 weeks beyond redemption according to the stupid laws. I think these laws were to protect idiots with no common sense.

Went to conversations at the local library yesterday. One  of the ladies my age told me when her daughter comes to visit the first thing she does is go through her pantry and toss out things like chutney, mustard  pickles , HP sauce and the like. When the daughter leaves she retrieves them from the bin! Not only presumptuous but annoying and she says it makes her feel stupid. I said I think that is the point.

Gert

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #21613 on: April 25, 2014, 07:11:12 am »
the use by date thing for supermarkets, is properly so they don't get sued.

There is nothing wrong with so much food, that gets thrown out because of a silly date..

about 17 years ago, when I worked for KR, I got 20 plus hams  a month, because of a little bit of loose cyrvac. nothing wrong with the product at all. I bought a chest freezer,and had a endless supply of leg hams for free. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #21614 on: April 25, 2014, 07:22:12 am »
Obbie can you imagine a farmer growing a pig, curing it, hanging it in his shed worrying about a use by date? Laughable.

OK you are starving. Nothing to eat in the house but one lonely can of baked beans and it is out of date by 2 years. What do you do?

A girlfriend was worried about me eating the chicken from the freezer that became un frozen and frozen again. She asked me what song I wanted played at my funeral. I said even though it was un frozen the freezer was still cool so the temperature had not been low enough to start bacteria growth and even if it had I would be sure to cook it thoroughly if it was dodgy in any way. As it was I unwrapped the chicken , felt it, smelled it, washed it and cooked it well done. Still here.

Don't get me started.

I have pepper in the cupboard older than my granddaughter who is 13.

gert