Author Topic: Yummy Apple Crumble  (Read 24366 times)

Offline bron

• View Profile
Yummy Apple Crumble
« on: May 17, 2009, 01:55:30 am »
I made this today as had 4 apples going soft and the oven was on (roasting potatoes) and it was just deeeeelicious. So just HAD to share it with you all. One of these family desserts that doesn't look that nice but just sooooo yummy I will definitely be making this as a regular. We had it with custard, although my eldest preferred it with squirty cream. And even nice cold with vanilla ice-cream, DH finished it off this evening. All a bit thrown in and very very quick and easy...... Taking all of 5 mins to make, and baking whilst we ate our lunch.

Yummy Apple Crumble:
Serves 6:
Ingredients:
Filling:
4 big apples (peeled, cored and sliced quite thinly)
1 teaspoon dried ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Crumble:
peel of half orange and half lemon, no pith
100g flour
100g cold butter
50g chopped nuts (I used hazlenuts, but any would be nice)
50g brown sugar
50g sugar

Preparation:
First mix apple and sugar and spice into an oven proof dish.
Make crumble, first chop nuts not too fine as you want them to be a bit crunchy, speed 4 a few seconds, put aside, then blitz the peel, you may need to add the flour to help blitz it fine, add other ingredients except nuts and mix 5 seconds, speed 5. Mix nuts in and pour over the filling. Push down with the back of a spoon. And bake in a hot oven at 180º for 30 mins until brown and caramelly.

Photos:Will post next time

Tips/Hints:

The lemon and orange peel in the crumble is just amazing! The crumble is all crispy and like caramel;)

Members' comments
Chelsea - Bron this is absolutely sensational.  The best apple crumble I have ever had without a doubt.The peel was just divine, but perhaps I overdid it a little.  My fourteen month old was screwing up his little face at the different flavour, but wanting more all the same and my husband (who doesn't like peel at all) asked me to make it again next week - but halving the peel.  I hope it will still have the same lovely texture with half of the peel.Thank you so much.
This is one of our winter favourites.  The crumble in this recipe is delicious and the best I have tasted! I just use a couple of thin strips of zest and blitz them in with the flour on speed 9 so it is finely chopped. I made it with macadamia's tonight and it tasted heavenly.

faffa70 - DH made this the other day and all I wanted to do was eat the crumble BEFORE he cooked it as it was so good...then came the cooked version. OMG, to die for. You are a champ Bron.

Denzelmum = Soooooo yummy!  I skip the ginger and use tangelo skin instead of orange.  And served it with ILB eggless custard. This would be a regular.  Thank you Bron.

Vivaroo - Wow that was so good and easy.  Best crumble recipe ever!  Only thing I did was briefly chop the apples in the TMX and added a little lemon juice.  The flavourings were perfect, loved the ginger and citrus.  We had leftovers on our porridge this morning.

JD - It's really nice but I think I would like more apple on the bottom so I would use 6 apples next time.

cookie1 - I do a sort do similar crumble but I use rolled oats, blitzed slightly, instead of flour.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:35:37 am by judydawn »
Amanda

Spain

Offline ralo

• View Profile
    • Failsafe cooking with the Thermomix
Re: Yummy Apple Crumble
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 12:24:20 pm »
Bron,

This looks lovely and maybe this is how apple crumble is supposed to be made... I made up my own last week - have posted here: http://failsafethermomix.blogspot.com/2009/05/apple-crumble-dairy-free-failsafe.html

I love the idea of the peel - but that will need to wait until I finish breastfeeding.

I see you didn't pre-cook the apples in teh varoma or anything - were they soft after 30 mins in the oven?

Here's a photo of mine:

mmm - photo not working and i can't find the thread on how to post photos... can anyone point me to Thermoixer's post on how to do it?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 12:45:30 pm by ralo »
FAILSAFE and Dairy-free cooking is so much easier with a Thermomix!

My blog: failsafethermomix.blogspot.com

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 04:39:49 pm »
Looks lovely Ralo. I love apple crumble, and rhubarb, but you can't get rhubarb in Spain! Yes the peel gives it a lovely kick.

Why not peel when breastfeeding? I ate everything I can think of, and never a problem? I have breastfed 3, till they were 1 year almost? ???

Amanda

Spain

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 10:29:13 pm »
amanda, if ralo's children are senstive to chemicals etc (hence the failsafe cooking) i think under the skin is very high in salicylates ???
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline ralo

• View Profile
    • Failsafe cooking with the Thermomix
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:19:42 am »
Yep - Karen's right, should have said  sorry

My other 2 kids, I had no issues and ate everything I wanted and breastfed without a problem

Then came baby number 3 wiith food intolerances galore!
FAILSAFE and Dairy-free cooking is so much easier with a Thermomix!

My blog: failsafethermomix.blogspot.com

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 12:24:26 am »
i am learning, yay :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 07:54:16 am »
Can't wait to make this Bron as the one I do has rolled oats in it, so this will make a nice change.

Trudy

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 11:46:42 pm »
Wow, how complicated! Guess you are lucky to have THX to help you knock up yummy food, and control the situation without missing out on all the niceys then!

I have just been to the GF cookery class this evening, and everything tasted fantastic. I will post a list of recipes that they have given me and if anyone is interested I can post it! They made some lovely crusty french sticks...deeeeelicious and even some little jelly sweets. My little s*d was an angel, and stuffed his face! Got my new book from winning the comp (apron comes next week!) and my 2nd jug (of course) ;) ;) ;)

Guess what? They all had THX vorwerk tshirts, and even a THX car parked outside HQ!!! Wish I 'd had my camera, you would have all loved it! Will take my camera with next time I go back!
Amanda

Spain

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 12:35:29 am »
yes yes yes please bron!!! :-*
My Cooking Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 11:15:33 am »
Like the idea of peel in the crumble  :-* :-* 

We had a fair amount of rhubarb in France - home grown.  Shame you can't get it.  It is so easy to grow.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 12:42:21 pm »
Yep - Karen's right, should have said  sorry

My other 2 kids, I had no issues and ate everything I wanted and breastfed without a problem

Then came baby number 3 wiith food intolerances galore!

Wow you do learn something new everyday. I BF all 5 of mine till about 18 monthsand ate everything and now I just get the information I would loved to have had with DS 4. What a difference that would have made...and I thought I was doing the right thing (well I was to a degree) feeding him until he was 22 months.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 12:06:39 pm »
Bron this is absolutely sensational.  The best apple crumble I have ever had without a doubt.

The peel was just divine, but perhaps I overdid it a little.  My fourteen month old was screwing up his little face at the different flavour, but wanting more all the same and my husband (who doesn't like peel at all) asked me to make it again next week - but halving the peel.  I hope it will still have the same lovely texture with half of the peel.

Thank you so much.
Chelsea  :)

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 03:06:18 pm »
Pleased to hear that you & family enjoyed! Always nice to hear!
Am going to try out a banana struesel crumble hopefully this evening, an experiment from my recent trip to Germany! If its a success, will post that one too!
Amanda

Spain

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 03:19:07 pm »
DH made this the other day and all I wanted to do was eat the crumble BEFORE he cooked it as it was so good...then came the cooked version. OMG to die for. You are a champ Bron :D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 03:25:12 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D :-* :-* :-*
Amanda

Spain