Author Topic: Barley and Buckwheat Porridge with Banana (with photos)  (Read 11516 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Barley and Buckwheat Porridge with Banana (with photos)
« on: June 04, 2012, 01:49:28 am »
Barely and Buckwheat Porridge with Banana
Serves 1-2

Ingredients:
20g pearled barley
20g raw buckwheat
10g walnuts
10g pepitas
20g rolled grain, such as spelt, rye or oats
300g milk
200-250g water
1 large banana, roughly chopped
Any desired toppings, such as LSA, chopped nuts, yoghurt, extra milk, etc.

Preparation:
1. Place barley, buckwheat, walnuts and pepitas in TM and mill for at least 1 minute/speed 9. (I ususually do mine for 1.5 minutes).
2. Add rolled grain, milk and water. Cook for 9 minutes/100 degrees/speed 3-4. Add banana in last 2 minutes.
3. Pour into serving bowls and add toppings. Serve.

Notes
This method is very similar to the one I use in Amy-Style Porridge, but I came across this combination of ingredients and it is so good I had to post it! :D

I always put a handful of frozen blueberries in the bottom of my bowl and pour the steaming hot porridge over them. This defrosts the berries and cools the porridge down slightly when you mix them through.

I got distracted halfway through my breakfast this morning and when I got back to it the remainder of my porridge had gone cold and gone a bit jelly-ish :o I just poured some cold milk over the wobbling lump of porridge and mushed it around a bit. I know it sounds gross, but it was really yummy! Sort of like a cold, custard-type pudding :D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:39:00 am by Amy :-) »

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Brilliant "3B" Porridge (with photos)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 06:24:07 am »
You are certainly into porridge Amy - that texture is how I like mine too (before it gets to the glue stage).  How far away is your microwave  ???
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 06:29:58 am »
You are certainly into porridge Amy - that texture is how I like mine too (before it gets to the glue stage).  How far away is your microwave  ???

I could eat porridge for three meals a day Judy ;D Yum!

Lol the microwave was further than the milk :D I think I was struck for a brief moment by what many people would call "laziness" :-))
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:31:29 am by Amy :-) »

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 06:37:11 am »
Amy is it walnuts our brazil nuts. The ing. list says walnuts and the instructions say  brazil nuts.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 06:39:38 am »
Ooops! Where was my brain? I used walnuts lol. I just had B words on the brain! :-))

I've amended now, thanks Meagan ;D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:39:48 am by Amy :-) »

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 06:39:54 am »
I'm into good thick porridge with blueberries as well, but mine is plain old rolled oats with a good tbs of oat bran (great for cholestrol control) and also 1 tbs of Kapai Puku (a mix of seeds, grains and fruit) with milk and rapadura.  I could live on it!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 06:43:01 am »
I'm into good thick porridge with blueberries as well, but mine is plain old rolled oats with a good tbs of oat bran (great for cholestrol control) and also 1 tbs of Kapai Puku (a mix of seeds, grains and fruit) with milk and rapadura.  I could live on it!

I love the plain old porridge too Cuilidh!! :D When I started hearing about all the different types of grains available, I just thought I would experiment with them in porridge since I love it so much! ;D ;D

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 08:24:23 am »
It's good to experiment, Amy - I'm just so stuck in my ways with the rolled oats I never think of trying anything else - also, because I have been making it for so long, I don't need to think about what I am doing (especially first thing in the morning), just toss everything together on auto pilot then 3 minutes in the microwave and it's done.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Thermobexta

• View Profile
Re: Barley and Buckwheat Porridge with Banana (with photos)
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 01:58:08 am »
Hi this sounds great and I am in the process of making it - thanks for sharing 😊 I'm using rolled spelt and it turned out extremely runny, so have just added 30g more rolled spelt and cooking it for another 9 minutes, hoping it thickens up! The flavour is great 😊

Offline Thermesa

• View Profile
Re: Barley and Buckwheat Porridge with Banana (with photos)
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 01:12:11 pm »
Breakfast tomorrow. Wonder if I'll find walnuts, I think there are some in the freezer.