Author Topic: Liquid Soap  (Read 35811 times)

Offline containergirl

• View Profile
Re: Liquid Soap
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 03:44:45 am »
This sounds great.  With all the tips I think this is a job for 'Thermoman'....as we call Spanner.  I got a lot of laughs imagining myself making it.
Senior Princess
Pimlico Palace

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 02:11:33 pm »
I think it need more water added - it is quite thick in the container. Not sure what I would do next time but will preservere as I like the idea of making it myself and I am getting used to the stringy consistancy  ;)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 02:46:10 am »
Eww! I don't like liquid soap made from proper soap. It's similar in consistency to snot! You'll also find that it may go bad as you've added tap water.

Liquid soap is best made as a complete product, that is a hot process method using oils and potassium hydroxide. It's a very involved process though, so I stick with my detergent based liquid soap. I use decyl glucoside, cocobetaine, various emollients and preservative. I haven't got it on the market as there are so many out there now, it's not worth trying to compete.

If you're looking for a good hand soap, look for ones that don't contain Sodium (or Ammonium) Lauryl (or Laureth) Sulphate. Any of the sulphate based detergents are extremely harsh. Read more about it on my blog: SLS.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline KarenO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 02:30:50 am »
I have never made soap in my TM, do you get any soapy after taste/residue in the next thing you make in the TM bowl?

Thanks in advance  :)
Karen   
Thermomix Consultant, WA

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 02:40:51 am »
I've only made the laundry powder in mine and there is no smell or anything.
I don't put the borax in the bowl, I stir it through later as it is a poison.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 08:15:44 am »
If you mean making soap from scratch, I wouldn't recommend it as it's a highly caustic substance and could damage the rubber seal. Since it's Stainless Steel, there won't be any residue if you clean it properly.
Cold Process soap doesn't bubble until it's fully saponified, anything up to 48 hours after it's made, so there won't be soapy bubbles.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline KarenO

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 11:22:01 am »
I'm asking on behalf of a customer, it's the laundry powder.  So do everything in the TM bowl and put the borax in afterwards (not whilst in the jug) and there should be no 'after taste'?
Karen   
Thermomix Consultant, WA

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 11:23:22 am »
That's right KarenO.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KarenO

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 03:37:52 am »
Thanks for that :)
Karen   
Thermomix Consultant, WA

Offline karenaltmann32

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 05:07:06 am »
Hi I make my own soap to sell in my shop and would like to comment on your liquid soap making.  For best results you should start with a handcrafted soap, any soap bought from the shop has had the glycerin removed which is one of the reasons it dries you skin out.  Coconut oil makes bubbles so consider adding a little if you want more bubble.  Goat's milk is very nourishing to the skin, it has the closest pH to our own skin and is the recommended soap to use for young children.  Consider adding a quarter teaspoon of dried goat's milk powder to your mix (1/2 tsp per litre of liquid) is enough.  Also I saw you said to use tap water, I personally would use filtered or twice boiled or rain water and with rain water it would be better to filter it anyway especially if you live in a city.  When you make liquid soap you would normally use potassium hydroxide to get the chemical reaction to make soap and it is a 5 day process where it changes through different forms one of them is a solid state.  I have made natural soap in my TM but I have decided not to try the liquid soap process as it is too time consuming.  I hope this helps you though.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 05:13:57 am »
Gosh there are lot's of helpful tips there.  Thank you!  :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2010, 05:55:14 am »
Thanks again karenaltmann32. I don't think I'll be making any soap and had no idea that there was dried goat milk powder ! Naive ?

MrsT likes bubble in the bath so may do something with coconut oil?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 07:58:04 am »
Yes, Thermomixer, you can get powdered goat's milk, powdered coconut milk and powdered buttermilk. I use powdered buttermilk in my Oatmeal, Milk & Honey Soap.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 10:35:33 pm »
Bumping - and thanks to Frozzie for pointing me in the direction of this thread!!  Love it!  I think some of these would make lovely gifts . .

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 07:06:52 am »
Just be sure to use distilled water and don't use store bought soap.

I'm planning on trying this with all the soap shavings that I have. I plane my soap before it's labelled, so have heaps and heaps of shavings!
I'll report back when I have a try.
The Bush Gourmand