Author Topic: Giant meatballs stuffed with mozzarella  (Read 12070 times)

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
Giant meatballs stuffed with mozzarella
« on: May 26, 2012, 03:20:47 pm »
Hi all. Have not had much time to contribute to the forum lately, other than to quickly find something for dinner, but I was really pleased with this recipes by Justine Schofield, one of the original Masterchef contestants, that I got for Taste.com, that I thought I'd share. The comments on Taste.com indicate that people thought that it was a yummy, but time consuming meal to prepare, but I didn't find it a chore with Clancy (tmx) on board.

Ingredients (serves 4)
Meatballs
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 bacon rashers,
1 brown onion
2 thyme sprigs, leaves picked (didn't have any, so left out)
500g beef mince
250g veal mince
250g pork mince (I used 1/2 beef, 1/2 pork, you can mince in tmx if you like)
50g day old bread
2 tablespoons fresh ricotta
1 egg, lightly whisked
30g Parmesan
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
2 garlic cloves
16 small bocconcini mozzarella (I used 8 boconccini, the size of a walnut in the shell)
Finely grated parmesan, extra, to serve
Basil leaves and crusty bread, to serve

Tomato sauce
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped
1 long red chilli, seeded, finely chopped (I used 1/2 a tsp of chilli flakes)
400g can chopped tomatoes
700ml btl tomato passata (sieved tomatoes)
(I added a heaped teaspoon of sugar)
1 dried bay leaf

Heat oven to 180.
Chop onion and bacon for a few seconds, speed 6. Scrape out and cook in the olive oil in a small frypan with thyme (if using) until onion is browned. (could do this in thermomix, but I find the bacon goes kind of watery). Allow to cool.  

Meanwhile chop garlic and parsley, by dropping on to spinning blades through hole on top of lid, few seconds, speed 8. Scrape  into large mixing bowl, no need to wash the tmx bowl, grate the cubed Parmesan, empty into mixing bowl, and make breadcrumbs, empty into mixing  bowl.

Add the meats, the egg and ricotta into the large mixing bowl and mix ingredients together and season with salt and pepper.

Start to make sauce in tmx, chop onion and garlic and chilli, 5 seconds, speed 6. Add anchovies and olive oil, and cook varoma temp, speed 1, 5 minutes. Add passata and tomatoes, bayleaf and sugar if using. Cook 30 minutes, 100 deg, speed 1, with steaming basket on top, instead of measuring cup, to stop spattering. Taste and season if required.

While sauce is cooking, divide mixture into 8 and shape each piece into a tennis ball sized sphere.  Pierce the ball and poke in a bocconcini, and carefully seal the meat around it. Place on lined tray (I cooked the meatballs in a Pyrex  lasagne dish, so that I could just add the sauce later). Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Remove meatballs from oven and tip off any fat if desired (the pork mince I used was quite fatty). Cover with the tomato sauce and bake another 30-35 minutes (I turned the meatballs over a few times in the sauce while baking). Garnish with extra grated Parmesan, basil leaves and serve with crusty bread (I made Isi's extraordinary "ordinary" bread)

We thought these were delicious and filling.  Serve them very hot so the cheese is stretchy rather than rubbery. I only took a picture of the uncooked meatballs, and can't figure out how to upload from ipad, but the finished product looks exactly the same as on Taste.com (yah!) I hope others enjoy too.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/28911/giant+meatballs+stuffed+with+mozzarella

members' comments

maddy - 1 meatball was enough!, very filling. Enjoyed but thought the sauce was a little lacking, so added a little more sugar and pizza topper herbs to it. I think meatballs/meatloaf do fare better texture wise, by mixing by hand, not by TM....just my opinion.I did add marinated feta instead of ricotta and used only 1/4 tsp. dried flaked chili in the sauce....enough heat for us.

jakodai - it was beautiful! I don't add the ricotta because I didn't like the smell of it.I took a shortcut and added the meatballs to the sauce when I first started cooking it, so the fat from the meatballs went into the sauce which meant it wasn't really usable to pour over the meatballs when serving which would have been very nice. I will definitely be making this again!

Hally - These are delish. Did change them slightly, 500g pork & 500g beef minced. Used fetta instead of ricotta as I had fetta.
Meatballs absolutely yum but they are huge, 1 for me, 2 for dh & cp (cp not quite finished no.2)   dh & I had crusty bread, cp had rice.
I cheated on the sauce, used Leggos (as had in my cupboard) & added herbs from the garden.  Still very nice then baked in oven with slices of parmesan cheese on top. Result, yes loved by all. OK Went back for 2nds, 30 mins later  ;D

cookie - made only a half mix and made 4 large meatballs. We had one each and the freezer got the other. We loved it and will definitely make it lots more times.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:04:38 am by judydawn »
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Giant meatballs stuffed with mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 10:19:37 pm »
Thanks Lellyj,  love the look of this.  Will make.

jakodai

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 10:51:17 pm »
I have added this to Paprika, will certainly be making it soon!

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 11:08:08 pm »
Sounds yummy

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 12:04:06 am »
Thanks, def making these, just copied & paste to my to try app.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 09:05:18 am »
Thanks Lelly. I saw Justine prepare these in an ad. They looked deliciious.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 09:08:11 am »
Hope you all enjoy too, if you try. One was enough for me, boys ate 2.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 05:39:22 am »
Thanks Lelly, yummy
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 11:43:49 am »

1 meatball was enough!, very filling.
Enjoyed, but thought the sauce was a little lacking, so added a little more sugar and pizza topper herbs to it.
I think meatballs/meatloaf do fare better texture wise, by mixing by hand, not by TM....just my opinion  ;)
I did add marinated feta instead of ricotta, and used only 1/4 tsp. dried flaked chili in the sauce....enough heat for us.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:47:42 am by maddy »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 04:19:18 am »
Hi Maddy

Gread pictures, as always. Glad you enjoyed these.  We liked the sauce but I did serve topped with fresh basil so that probably gave it a bit more zing.  I did actually mix the mince by hand in the mixing bowl, so I'll alter the recipe to distinguish between the tmx bowl and the large mixing bowl, as I realise now it's a bit confusing.  Basically I prepared all the ingredients in the tmx, then mixed together by hand in a bowl.

Cheers!

jakodai

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 10:55:15 am »
I cooked this tonight, it was beautiful! I don't add the ricotta, because I didn't like the smell of it, and I took a shortcut and added the meatballs to the sauce when I first started cooking it, so the fat from the meatballs went into the sauce which meant it wasn't really usable to pour over the meatballs when serving which would have been very nice. I will definitely be making this again!

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 12:16:23 pm »
Glad you liked, we thought it as a yummy recipe!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 12:29:34 am »
Making these tonight :)

Taken me nearly a year to get to these :o
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 12:33:33 am by Halex »
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 01:13:24 am »
I still haven't. Thanks for bumping them, now I may remember.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

*suzanne*

Re: Re: Giant meatballs stuffed with mozzarella
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 04:45:38 am »
Thanks Hally for bumping this haven't seen it before it sounds great;D