Author Topic: Polish Poppy Seed Pastry Roll  (Read 4816 times)

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Polish Poppy Seed Pastry Roll
« on: May 20, 2012, 11:04:59 pm »
I'm not sure how to post a recipe - or if this is the best place for it . .  but my DD and her OH converted a recipe for his Mum and this is the result.  It was delicious!!

Polish poppy seed cake

Bring 430ml milk to boil on stove. Add 225g poppy seeds, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 mins, stirring frequently.

110g milk at 37 degrees for 2 mins.

Add 45g fresh yeast, mix at 37 degrees until smooth. Remove.

Cream 180g butter with 180g sugar 20 secs gradually increasing from speed 1 to 6.

Add one egg at a time, beating well between each addition (20 secs on speed 4)

Add pinch of salt and yeasty milk. Sift in 675g flour. Knead 4 mins.

If dough springs back quickly, place in bowl and cover. Leave for 1 hour in warm place.

Drain poppy seed mixture and blend to a paste with aid of spatula (takes a while) speed 6 for 10 secs, stop and scrape down sides, then 10 more seconds etc.

Add 60g walnuts, 7 secs speed 5.

Add 90g butter, 90g raisins and 140 ml honey. Mix 5 secs speed 5. Insert butterfly. Cook 15 mins at 90 degrees reverse speed 1 mc off.

Beat 2 eggs with 120g sugar with electric mixer until fluffy. Combine with poppy seed mixture in Thermomix. Cook 100 degrees reverse speed 1 until thickened (maybe 10 mins).

Add 90 ml brandy (optional) and set aside.

When dough has doubled in bulk, knead manually for 2-5 mins.

Divide dough in half and roll out each half on floured surface, shaping into rectangles. Spread filling evenly over each piece and roll up tighly as a Swiss roll.

Press ends together to seal. Place on lightly buttered baking sheet curving into horseshoe.

Bake 190 degrees for 45-50 mins until golden brown.

Notes:   Next time will try grinding dry poppy seeds in tmx before boiling in milk :-))

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:33:38 am by goldfish »

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Re: Polish Poppy Seed Pastry Roll
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 05:47:01 pm »
After the poppy seeds go into the boiling milk, do you  turn the heat down or do you keep it boiling as surely the milk and poppy seeds will burn despite stirring if it's for 30 minutes?
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Re: Polish Poppy Seed Pastry Roll
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 05:38:06 am »
Merlin - I'm so sorry!  I did see you question and meant to get back to you.  Got distracted and then completely forgot!

I've amended the recipe so it's clearer - you do turn down the heat to a simmer.  Thanks for pointing it out!!  We weren't trying to sterilize everything in sight . . . ;D ;D