Author Topic: sorbet problems, help please  (Read 5810 times)

Offline bartoncs

• View Profile
sorbet problems, help please
« on: January 13, 2010, 08:27:03 am »
Hi All

the last few times I have made sorbet I have had difficulties getting all the ice to crush. ie when I serve it there are a few while ice cubes left in there.

I am only putting in a small amount of ice at a time and using the spatula but still struggling to get it all to incorporate.

should I be adding liquid or something. The only variation from the recipe is that I use far less sugar (about 20g) and that shouldn't affect it right?

any advice would be appreciated.

Also has anyone every used honey instead of sugar in recipies, would it just stick to the sides and blades?

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: sorbet problems, help please
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 08:44:42 am »
Hi there

How old is your machine? I assume you are adding half the ice first? With the first lot of ice are you combining it with the fruit sugar and egg white until you get a slushie consistancy, then add the rest of the ice and use the spatula to aid combining. Look through the hole in the lid to see the cnsistancy it should be a slow vortex. If it is fast drop a few ice cubes into the hole in the lid and keep blitzing. Are you also doing it for at least 2 min on speed 10? I would speak to your consultant if you have any more issues. Also you might be able to use agave syrup in place of sugar.   
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 08:47:10 am »
that was the problem with my machine and it needed a service. are you using enough ice though? if you've tried using more and havd the same problems i'd call steve at HO
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 08:56:59 am »
I was having similar problems.  I wasn't using enough fluid to get it started,   and I wasn't persisting long enough.  Meagan's advice looks good.

Offline bartoncs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 12:08:44 am »

Thanks for all your advice everyone, my machine is only a month old or so, so shouldn't need a service. It looks like I might be adding the second lot of ice too quickly and not persisting enough with the time, only doing it for one minute.

I will try going slower and being more patient.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 01:20:17 am »
It may be that you need a little more liquid too? but if following the recipe then it should be OK..

You shouldn't need to add the ice slowly - see the video http://www.thermomix.com.au/04-video01.html and it shouldn't take over a minute - may pay to get your consultant to check it out.

Remember - you "paid for a little piece of them"
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 02:35:25 am »
I had one of my friends make lychee sorbet on Monday and she was having trouble with the ice crushing as well... until I showed her just how much force is required with the spatula to churn it all evenly.  She was a little too gentle with it!  :D

All good after she realised though and she was mighty impressed!  ;D
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem