Author Topic: Great Pattycakes  (Read 41705 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Great Pattycakes
« on: April 07, 2009, 10:42:18 am »
 :P Yes, I call them 'pattycakes', not cupcakes.

This was originally a food processor recipe, so converts well to the Tmix.

Place in bowl:

220g softened butter
3/4 cup (150g) castor sugar
1 1/2 cups(240g) SR flour - I have successfully used plain flour with 2 t sp of baking powder
4 eggs

You can dump the whole lot in and mix for about 3 minutes on speed 4.
But I prefer to do it this way:
Mix the butter and sugar at speed 4 for 3 minutes. Scrape down frequently.
Add eggs one at a time and mix for 30 secs each - scrape down between additions.
Add sifted flour and mix on speed 2 for 30 seconds or until incorporated. I now use the  :: setting for adding flour to cakes. Mix for about 15 - 20 seconds and use spatula to assist.

Bake at 180oC, fan forced for 15 minutes. I use an ice cream scoop to fill the patty pans. Makes 16.

members' comments

Amanda - I just made these and they are lovely. I added 1 tsp of Queens Vanilla Paste. If I wanted to make them chocolate I would sub 1-2 Tbsp good quality cocoa for same amount of flour.

ralo - These are great though mine needed 30 minutes to cook.

brazen - great recipe and converts well to being gluten free!!
Just wanted to note that I made these yesterday with GF flour and lots of vanilla but forgot to put the baking powder in - they are even better than usual without it! yum!

CP -  had a half success today - one batch rose, and then the second batch rose and then sunk to a level top. Am still getting used to my new oven perhaps...

Jabba - I made these and they turned out really well. I needed to mix for about 2 min to incorporate the flour - and used the spatula.  I made 12 cakes in large patty cake papers (in muffin trays) and in my oven, cooking time was closer to 30 min.  Delicious!

darls - I made 50 cup/pattycakes and all were gone. My boy said it's the most yummiest! I did two batches with small paper cupcake, using green icing on top and 5 smarties as 5th bday.

simplyrhonda - Made these, the loved them. Delicious & easy.

maddy - Nice and easy MJ. I added 50g coloured splinters in with the flour too.

WAThermoFamily - thanks Meganjane these tasted great!  Even so good that most were eaten before I got time to ice and decorate.

AmandaN -  I have used egg replacement as my younger son is allergic.  The cupcakes out ok.  They were a little drier than cupcakes with egg but I didn't expect them to be exactly the same anyway.  A couple of them (slightly larger) broke when I removed them from the tray, but hey.....they were the commission ones that I got to eat!  They rose well and dropped a little in the middle, so with icing they were pretty much flat across the top.  I then added 5 mini-marshmallows (his 5th birthday), and you don't notice at all.

Lisa J - Thanks for this recipe, they were lovely. Made a second batch and stirred crushed Oreos through the batter and they turned out even NICER!!

em - thanks mj for a great and simple recipe.  I love the recipe, the batter is so fluffy and when cooked the patty cakes are beautiful and moist.

cottchick -  they are fantastic and too easy for words. I just threw all the ingredients in in no order, forgot the baking powder, still they are just perfect. THANKS!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 01:58:30 pm by judydawn »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Great Pattycakes
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 01:55:55 pm »
Thanks - great start to your recipe contributions.  Look forward to more.  ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 05:50:41 am »
I just made these and they are lovely.
I added 1 tsp of Queens Vanilla Paste.
If I wanted to make them chocolate i would sub 1-2 Tbsp good quality cocoa for same amount of flour.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline ralo

• View Profile
    • Failsafe cooking with the Thermomix
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 12:39:09 pm »
These are great though mine needed 30 minutes to cook.

I have a photo on my blog which I'll post here as soon as I can work out how to post photos.

http://failsafethermomix.blogspot.com/2009/05/princess-cakes-not-failsafe-of-dairy.html\\
FAILSAFE and Dairy-free cooking is so much easier with a Thermomix!

My blog: failsafethermomix.blogspot.com

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 10:21:49 pm »
very cute!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 02:08:01 am »
Hell, how long did it take you to decorate those little beauties ??? ??? Well done
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline ralo

• View Profile
    • Failsafe cooking with the Thermomix
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 05:06:20 am »
hubby and I did them together - took about an hour I'd say - not too long, this year. We've had some birthday cakes which have taken hours and hours :)
FAILSAFE and Dairy-free cooking is so much easier with a Thermomix!

My blog: failsafethermomix.blogspot.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 11:25:12 am »
Great pics - good work
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 06:16:08 am »
great recipe and converts well to being gluten free!!

here's the result (the ones in back, not the birthday cake which was a mud cake which DIDN'T convert well to GF lol)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 07:19:17 am »
No milk in these?

I had a half success today - one batch rose, and then the second batch rose and then sunk to a level top. Am still getting used to my new oven perhaps...
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 07:58:25 am »
no, it's funny isn't it - yet they still work out well :) i need to make a batch to pop in the freezer for our upcoming birthday ;)
My Cooking Blog

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 09:48:58 am »
I cook them in a pretty hot oven. When I say 'fan forced', I mean I put my super fan on, which is a high heat one for my oven. I'm guessing the temp is more likely to be about 200 C

Only cook on high heat if filling pans to nearly full - then you'll get the high peaks. If using an ice cream scoop to fill pans, then cook at 175 - 180C only.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:33:46 pm by meganjane »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 01:11:18 am »
just wante to note that i made these yesterday with GF flour and lots of vanilla, but forgot to put the baking powder in - they are even better than usual without it! yum!
My Cooking Blog

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 04:18:16 am »
Great accidental thing to discover Karen.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jabba

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 10:07:05 am »
I made these last night and they turned out really well.  But I needed to mix for about 2 min to incorporate the flour - and used the spatula.  I made 12 cakes in large pattycake papers (in muffin trays) and in my oven, cooking time was closer to 30 min.  Delicious!