Author Topic: Cheesy Tuna Strudels  (Read 54732 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Cheesy Tuna Strudels
« on: January 30, 2010, 11:48:57 am »
Cheesy Tuna Strudels Serves: 6

Ingredients:
3 sheets frozen puff pastry
1 egg
150g tasty cheese
handful fresh parsley
4 shallots roughly chopped
1 medium carrot roughly chopped
1 stick celery roughly chopped
1/2 red capsicum roughly chopped
425g can tuna in oil, drained
150g cream cheese cubed (or half tsp size blobs)
3/4 tsp curry powder
salt and pepper to taste (I use lots of cracked pepper)
1 tsp poppy seeds (optional)

Method:
Preheat oven to 180o and line trays with baking paper (enough trays to fit 3 half sheets of pastry on them).

Lay pastry sheets out on bench to thaw.

Separate the egg, placing the eggwhite in one cup and the yolk in another cup (beat the yolk lightly).

Place the cheese in the TMX bowl and grate for 3 seconds on speed 8. Set aside.

Without rinsing the bowl add the parsley, shallots, carrot, celery and capsicum and chop for 3-5 seconds on speed 5 (until it is a finely grated texture).  Remove any large remaining pieces and handchop them or discard.

Add half of the grated cheese into the TMX bowl with the vegies.  Also add the curry powder, salt and pepper, cream cheese and tuna (flaking it slightly as you put it in). Mix until well combined on reverse speed 3 for 7 seconds.

Cut each pastry sheet in half, lengthways.  Spread the tuna mixture (in mounds) over 3 of the pastry pieces leaving a 2cm border around the edge.  Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the tuna mixture.  Brush the edges of pastry around the tuna filling with eggwhite.

Cut 7cm-diagonal slits (about 3 cm apart) down the remaining 3 pieces of pastry to form the strudel tops.  Carefully place these on top of the tuna mixture (the bottoms) and seal by pressing the edges together.

Transfer the strudels to the prepared trays and brush the tops with egg yolk.  Sprinkle with poppy seeds if desired.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden.

Cut into slices and serve.

Notes:
This recipe is based on a Better Homes and Gardens booklet recipe.
I forgot to do diagonal slits as you can see in the photos.
My first forum photos - nothing flash but exciting all the same!!!

Members' comments
isi - I love this one!!!! Made last night a Colzone Pizza with Tuna, Onion, Pepper and Corn! Beautiful.

faffa 70 - Made these last week and they are soooo good that even MR FUSSY (DS no 4) requested them for his 5th birthday dinner last night!!!!! OMG I have never rushed to make a recipe so fast (before he changed his mind lol).

Twitterpated - We had this for dinner tonight. Really great and quick recipe that really delivers on taste. Especially good for those who aren't real fond of fish. DS tasted the mix before I put it in the pastry and loved it so much he has asked me to make it as a dip next time we entertain. Had a taste myself and I think he's on to something.

lucky - I made this last night for dinner, it was a huge hit with the whole family!! My boys 2 and 4yo both gobbled it up, so we have a new favourite to add to our list! Thanks Chelsea for sharing.

Frozzie - had these tonight as needed something quick and I had some puff pastry in the fridge and tuna and yum. I was surprised how nice this was...wasn't expecting it to be so nice. I added a zucchini and mild chilli. DH commented quite quickly which is always a positive lol. Thanks for the recipe chelsea...thumbs up from frozzies household and so quick and easy! I made one big one then used the rest for dip.  I just minced it up a bit more in the thx and it went down a treat...visitors loved it and even said it was one of the best dips he had tasted yet!!

JD - Took a full one around to Mum, popped the spare one in the freezer.  Lovely recipe thanks Chelsea. Frozen strudels reheat perfectly.

Chelsea - I made these tonight even though I was missing half the ingredients. I substituted the capsicum, celery and shallots for some broccoli and half an onion (I did have a carrot).  They were very yummy. I told DH about the dip idea and he tasted the mix and ended up cleaning the bowl and spatula.

Merrilyn - This was such a huge hit with the family, DH has requested I make it again for Father's Day Lunch. Thanks for a great recipe Chelsea.

Frozzie - Made this again the other day in individual pastries and had about a quarter of a cup left over so mixed it with a small pot of philly type cheese and was also very nice. Think it was 100 to 150g.

Lellyj - Thanks  Chelsea, for another delicious recipe.  This was fast and easy and also very filling.  I added all the ingredients except the tuna and then scooped some mix out and mixed with a bit more cheese and also some cooked broccoli and carrot chunks for my vegetarian son, then added tuna to the rest.  Will make again often. Next time I make this I'm going to add portabello mushrooms to the mix for the vegetarian option, and this would also taste good with tuna!

leesmac78 - WOW!  Yum!  Loved it!  Will make it again definitely!!!!!  In Germany, our pastry comes in rolls, 30cm x 50cm (approx, I had no ruler!!!)  So I used 2 packets and made a giant one.  Ed and I had seconds and there is plenty for lunch tomorrow.  Served with a simple summer salad it was delicious! Thank you so much for such a wonderful conversion!

Shazzy - My family loved this thanks Chelsea.  I took a frozen one out of the freezer for dinner last night and it reheated beautifully - I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical. In fact my husband actually raved how good it was! Will definitely be on our menu again and one that I can make and keep in the freezer for those nights we need a quick yummy meal.

maddy - .....another Chelsea winner. When I opened the tin of tuna, hubby was screwing up his nose.....thought to myself "Uh-Oh".....well he loved them!....we all did. Thanks Chelsea.

Uni - to fiddly for me, so I just threw everything in and made a pie.

CC - Made this for supper last night. I agree with everyone they are so good, thank you Chelsea for such a great recipe.

Kimmyh - Made these in the morning for Good Friday dinner and they were delicious. I was impressed at how quick and easy they were to make and how well they reheated. Will be making again. Thanks Chelsea, another one of yours in my favourites file.

Augusta - I made these on Good Friday and they tasted great. I used tinned salmon. Froze the other two for another time. Thanks Chelsea.

ES - I made this tonight substituting the curry powder with a pinch of chilli powder and a teaspoon of KFC Spice. I don't have a reverse function on my ThermoChef, so I used the knead function for about 20 seconds to combine everything at the end.
There were 3 adults and 2 kids for dinner tonight  and no leftovers. DD had three servings and fussy DS had 2 servings.

MF - Just made these. They smell divine.

Cuildh - One of the draw backs of being vegetarian on this forum is that, if you are like me, you see a recipe featuring meat or fish and you tend to pass it over as being 'unsuitable'.  I have always been aware that by doing this there is a chance that I may be missing out on lots of interesting recipes so, for some unknown reason, I just decided to browse this recipe this morning out of curiosity as it has been on the forum so much recently and there it was - a great recipe adaptation for a vegetarian version.
I have learned my lesson and am now going to start checking out every recipe - just in case!  Thanks everyone for your postings and suggestions.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 01:31:15 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cheesy Tuna Strudel
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 11:53:35 am »
Nice one Chelsea.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cheesy Tuna Strudels
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 12:46:27 pm »
This looks lovely Chelsea. One for dinner and one for the freezer, and one for the lunch tomorrow.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 04:02:59 pm »
I love this one!!!!
Made last night a Colzone Pizza with Tuna, Onion, Pepper and Corn!
Beautiful :)
regards isi :-*

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 11:55:19 pm »
Great idea - thanks Chelsea.  As isi says - could use a pizza base
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 11:06:16 pm »
Hello!!!

I did It with Pizza Dough.....  yummiiii
My daughter was a preciose help.... :D

In the last 15 minutes I put Apple Crumble at the same time!!

Thanks for the great Idea.

:-* :-* :-*

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 11:17:10 pm »
Good pics  :-* :-* :-* a new Bimbette in the making
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 12:01:37 pm »
Isi, love to see the kids helping.   A look of great concentration.

Chelsea, great photos,  they provide so much information.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 10:55:00 pm »
Made these last week and they are soooo good that even MR FUSSY (DS no 4) requested them for his 5th birthday dinner last night!!!!! OMG I have never rushed to make a recipe so fast  :o :o :o (before he changed his mind lol)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 07:00:51 am »
Thanks for the reviews.  I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Happy Birthday to Little Faffa!!! ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 08:59:50 am »
How funny! I have been scanning the forum for tuna recipes (that don't taste like tuna :P) and found one of mine that I had completely forgotten about. It's now printed and on the menu plan for next week. :-)) :-))

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 09:06:56 am »
I know what you mean Chelsea - after a couple of years we do tend to forget what we have posted  :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 09:12:03 am »
We are prolific converters. ;D

I actually also found a couple of your tuna ones too JD that I haven't tried and printed them out ready. I just need to figure out which ones won't taste like tuna now.  :)

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 10:47:17 am »
We had this for dinner tonight. Really great and quick recipe that really delivers on taste. Especially good for those who aren't real fond of fish. DS tasted the mix before I put it in the pastry and loved it so much he has asked me to make it as a dip next time we entertain. Had a taste myself and I think he's on to something.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 11:18:58 am »
The dip is a great idea.  I'm glad you liked the strudels.  :)