Author Topic: Coconut Butter  (Read 12494 times)

Offline JacquieC

• View Profile
Coconut Butter
« on: March 14, 2013, 02:45:37 am »
For those of you that can't readily buy coconut butter I've had a play and thought I'd share.

Place desiccated coconut into Thermomix set temperature to 50 on speed 2
When coconut starts to break down and go slightly lumpy turn the speed up to 7/8  until it turns to liquid.
This is coconut butter! 
I can't give you times because it depends on the amount of coconut you use, BUT I can tell you 2 cups of coconut makes about 1/2 a cup of butter so you need lots to make a decent amount of butter. Store in the fridge and enjoy!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Re: Coconut Butter
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 02:48:52 am »
Hi JacquieC, maybe a stupid question but what do you use coconut butter for?

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 03:05:48 am »
I used it in my coconut and mango muffins that I made recently. I think it has lots of uses but it's a good substitute for any other fats when baking, I have had it in smoothies when in Asia. Not sure of any other uses  ???

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 03:15:07 am »
That sounds good as most of us have the coconut in the pantry. We can then creat coconut butter should we need it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JacquieC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 03:54:37 am »
No Wonder it's not a silly question I'm gluten intolerant and I'm trying to not eat any processed foods. A lot of gluten free recipes just replace wheat flour with gluten free flour this doesn't work for me as most is processed so I've gone back to basics. It's used mainly in sweet things like flour-less cakes or biscuits I've been told its beautiful on toast too but I'll never know.... Paleo recipes use lots of unusual ingredients but thanks to the thermomix I can make most of them.

Offline France

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 03:16:18 pm »
Hi JacquieC! I've been making coconut butter for a while, from the recipe on Helene's site (Thermomixer) and I love it. I add a bit of raw cacao and natural sweetener to mine and it's even better! I'll try your method. Mine has yet to turn completely liquid though...

You can make your own flours in the Thermomix (as you probably know), we made a chick pea/rice flour bread today for the girls. I eat grain free (you must too if you are on the paleo way of life, huh?) -- I did taste the bread though and it was quite nice and my picky teens liked it too! Which is a plus as I don't buy loaves of bread very often.

Some people use the coconut butter in their yoghurt (plain full fat greek yoghurt) - I just love coconut! So even with a spoon is a great way to eat it, for me!  :D

Nice to meet you!!
Fremantle, WA - Thermomixing since 2 March 2013